Exclusively expressing with a toddler at home

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Exclusively expressing with a toddler at home

Postby Tish-tashy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi ladies,

I am after something to give me a little hope. My little girl is nearly 2 weeks and she has significant issues with attachment (I believe she has an upper lip tie which I have appointments booked to find out). I successfully BF my son for 12 months and was excited to do it again with my daughter so this has come as a big hit. I want her to be exclusively breast fed.

I have a 2 year old at home with me and my husband is FIFO so I am at home alone a lot.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can keep this full time expressing going whilst at home alone with a toddler and a baby??

Re: Exclusively expressing with a toddler at home

Postby Penguin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Tish-tashy,

Wow - EEing with a toddler is certainly demanding! There are some others who have done just that on the forum who will be along soon I'm sure. Have you had a chat with a breastfeeding counsellor about some hints with the expressing? Good luck x
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Postby A+D » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Congrats on the birth of your new LO. I EEd for my twins when they were a bit older, and while they were still in hospital, with a 2yo in the house. While they were still in hospital, we always had someone around to mind the 2yo, can you call in any favours from family/friends, we've flown people to us to help us get through particularly hard weeks. Once my supply was established, I made sure I had 4 sessions a day that were not negotiable, and tried to fit any bonus pumps around that. They were at 3am, or whenever around then I was up anyway, 9am once the morning rush was over, 3pm and 9pm before I went to bed. In the daytime ones, had tv going for toddler and sat on floor with him while I pumped. If you haven't already, get a double pump!

It was incredibly hard work, I endedup stopping when the twins were 6 months, because between expressing, washing and caring for 3 under 3 was wearing me down physically and mentally, but it was doable for a set time period for me. You can do it! Just get through each session, and read through all the tricks on the exclusive expressing thread.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Postby Colleen » Thu May 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi there, I just stumbled across your post and realised that I am in exactly the same situation as you. My baby girl was born 10 weeks ago. She is our third baby - we have two big boys at home as well. I successfully breastfed both the boys until after 12 months. But my little one has had trouble breastfeeding since she was born. No medical practitioner can explain it but she just cannot suck strong enough to sustain her latch to my breast and is unable to get a full feed from my breast. We have had weeks where she lost weight and weeks where she has stayed at the same weight - but overall she has not been gaining enough weight and we ended up being hosptialised to try and resolve the issues. I have been expressing for her since she was a couple of days old - initially to top her up but now I am exclusively expressing for every feed.

Are you still EE?
If so how are you going?

I would love to hear how you are going?

Postby Tish-tashy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi Colleen!

Sorry only just saw this post!

I managed to attach her using a nipple shield. Now at 8 weeks we are now BF without the use of anything. She had her lower tongue tie cut but still has an upper lip tie.

Hope ur EBM is going well. I know how hard it is!

Postby tses » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi Colleen,

I exclusively pumped for my first until she was 25 months. Now still TTCing, and the thought of trying to
Nurse again (may fail again) or just go straight to pumping. I have successfully EP my first so I know I can do it, however how do u manage your other kids when you pump? Could you share some ideas?

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk