baby refuses frozen milk

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
kelly308

baby refuses frozen milk

Post by kelly308 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:59 pm

My baby girl Is 4 months old, I have been expressing and,freezing milk for when I go back to work. I have tried giving the milk to her but she won't take it. She takes the milk if it's freshly expressed but not even the next day. I have tried scaling on the stove and mixing with fresh milk but still won't take it. question is: do I express and scaled on the stove than put in the frezzer? Also won't it kill all the good stuff so should I just use formula? I'm only doing it for when I go back to work, all other times will be in the breast. Also should I keep expressing to keep milk up if I need to mix feed. And is there any way I can save the frozen milk? I really want to only use breast milk if possible so any ideas on how to get bubs to drink expressed milk would,be great thanks.

Penguin

Re: baby refuses frozen milk

Post by Penguin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're worried about getting bub to take your frozen milk - that is a worry that I know all too well unfortunately.

Lipase is a naturally occuring enzyme in milk (and other things) which helps to break down the fat. It can cause the milk to smell and taste yukky/ soapy/plasticy/ metallic in some women. The milk is still safe to drink, it just smells gross. Some women find that scalding the milk denatures or 'breaks' the enzyme so it can't break the fat down into the yuk tasting products.

Are you scalding it after you pump it (pump scald freeze) or are you scalding it after you freeze it (pump freeze scald)? In order for the scalding to work, you need to do it after you pump it and before you freeze it. Unfortunately there is noknow way to 'rescue' already frozen EBM which is lipase affected.

You milk may or may not be lipase affected though - there is some more info here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=74370 , and you can call the helpline on 1800686268 to talk to a trained breastfeeding counsellor who will be able to help you.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Esther

Re: baby refuses frozen milk

Post by Esther » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 pm

Are you offering the milk warm or cold? DD2 was the only one of my children to happily accept EBM for a few months and she would only drink it cold. The colder the better. Weirdo :roll: If you experiment with fresh, but cold milk, might be worth trying offering her EBM ice chips and see if she likes those? I'm not sure why, but my very vague and unscientific theory is that if the EBM is cold, it mightn't taste so bad?

Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4