It really seems I just can't

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
4fun

It really seems I just can't

Post by 4fun » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 am

Express!!! I've been told expressing colostrum for this bub is important to avoid formula. That even 1/2 a ml would be helpful. Three days of trying to express and all I have is .1 of a ml.... I've always had trouble expressing even when I had oversupply. I'm trying not to stress but I just can't see to do it.
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Re: It really seems I just can't

Post by Little Tiggermum » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 am

is the colostrum a just in case ( for GD) or are they certain that you will need it.
I wasn't successful with my initial attempts but those 0.1 m;s add up over time. keep going with express, rest, express, rest, express etc.
only, I didn't end up using any of mine and its still sitting int he freezer unused. :roll:
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 am

Expressing is hard! And it sounds like you're feeling some pressure to have the colostrum ready to go.

The colostrum will be there, but as you already know it can be a challenge getting it out. The usual suggestions - and sorry if you've heard and tried this all before - are relaxation (have a shower, cup of tea, drop your shoulders, think happy thoughts, perhaps about your lovely baby), warmth on the breast (warm washer, the shower again), breast massage (light stroking towards the nipple), and forming habits/associations, because this can encourage the let-down reflex (have a pre-expressing ritual, sit in the same chair, etc). That said, what works is different for different women, so it's often a matter of trial and error. Eg, I found distraction (trashy TV, ABA forum) worked better than thinking about my baby when I had to express for my second (and like you, I have plenty of milk, but it took me days to see any colostrum.)

You are probably well aware of how to hand express, but just in case here are a couple of videos - https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/hand-expressing
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Gently roll the nipple between thumb and forefinger for a few minutes before you start to try to express. Works a treat for many women. Then do the things Parla said!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

4fun

Post by 4fun » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Thanks for the support ladies :)

The reason for the colostrum is because of GD but that it's possible of course I won't need it (making it more frustrating), my GD is very well managed by the fact I've gone super strict diet on myself since the diagnosis so hopefully bubs sugars won't go bad! I really want to have the colostrum option there though just in case we do need it.

I have only been able to express each night (it's just too hard to get comfortable enough and in the right frame of mind with the other kids around and all that I need to be doing) I do it right after my shower. Still .1 of a ml in three sessions seems so little. I will try some of the other tricks tonight and see how we go. I'm seeing my midwife next week and she said if I was having trouble she'd help me then but I'll be 38.5weeks by then and time is running out!!!
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014