Storage times in upright freezer

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
tillygail

Storage times in upright freezer

Post by tillygail » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm sure I should know the answer to this but I have no idea!!

What kinds of freezers fall under the definition of 'deep freeze' for breastmilk storage purposes? We have a side by side fridge/freezer unit (so upright freezer with a separate door). The freezer is opened fairly infrequently and never for a prolonged length of time. I have about a litre of milk that i expressed when DD was a week old (she's nearly 7 months old now) it's been in the back of the freezer underneath other stuff, freezer is opened fairly infrequently and never for prolonged periods of time.

Would you consider this milk stored in the 'freezer section of refrigerator with separate door' or would it be considered deep freeze? Hoping it's still ok to use and my sole expressing effort wasn't for nothing!
DD1 - April 2010 - breastfed for 32 months
DD2 - June 2013 - breastfeeding

storked by Mooki!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 am

If that was my milk I would still use it for my child
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:58 am

Strictly speaking, that sounds like a freezer section of a fridge with a separate door.

The deep freezer in the guidelines is also supposed to be manual defrost.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... breastmilk

Automatic defrost and opening with a door rather than a lid both lead to more fluctuations in temperature.

That said, it's your call. The guidelines are fairly conservative. Like Penguin says, there are many mums who would use that milk, especially as a one-off feed for a healthy older baby. Assuming it's been kept at a safe temperature, it deteriorates in quality rather than spoiling, so the concern is that it's not as good as fresher milk more than anything else.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

tillygail

Post by tillygail » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks. I think I might defrost a bit and see how it smells. I really don't need to use it as DD never has EBM but hate seeing it go to waste (I still have EBM in the freezer from DD1 dated 2010 :oops: ) - can't bring myself to chuck it!
DD1 - April 2010 - breastfed for 32 months
DD2 - June 2013 - breastfeeding

storked by Mooki!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 am

tillygail wrote:Thanks. I think I might defrost a bit and see how it smells. I really don't need to use it as DD never has EBM but hate seeing it go to waste (I still have EBM in the freezer from DD1 dated 2010 :oops: ) - can't bring myself to chuck it!
I only just chucked a massive unusable stash from 2011! Totally get that.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 am

Tillygail if you don't want to waste the milk you could use it to make custard or baked goods for your LO now she is on solids.

I'd use it - as Parla says the issue is fluctuations in temperature, based on a guess about the average usage of different types of freezers. You don't sound average!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either