Expressing before bubs is born

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
4fun

Expressing before bubs is born

Post by 4fun » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:56 pm

So I have a few weeks before worrying but my middle suggested I should consider expressing a few weeks before bubs is born in case we have any sugar level issues so they can top up with that instead of formula.

I have always been hopeless at expressing! Max I have ever gotten even with an abundant supply is 20ml in a sitting. So help me out here, how can I make this as successful as possible? I'd be grateful for any tips. I'll be manual expressing too....
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Firstly, call the helpline! They will know how to help!

You don't need a lot. A few mm per feed and you might only need 5 all up in your case. You will probably only get a few drops at a time as that's how colostrum works, so don't stress and I guess do a bit every day? But helpline will know more.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

ClOuD_NiNe

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:31 pm

I expressed prenatal colostrum both times, and found the 2nd time I was able to get a lot more out. I am pretty crap at expressing milk but found that expressing colostrum was a totally different kettle of fish. I hand expressed anywhere from 1-3ml in a session, into a shot glass and then sucked it up into a syringe. I ended up getting about 30ml in total. Just give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised at how much you get! You can do an internet search for videos on how to hand express, I found they helped me refine my technique.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Totally agree with the other ladies. :smt045 Especially about the fact that you are really only going to be looking at getting a very small number of mls of colostrum in a sitting.

What I found really worked for me, when I had to express colostrum in the hospital, was to have me doing the hand expressing, and a nurse, or DH sucking up the tiny drops with a syringe. Being thick, the drops would just sit on the nipple. It meant I could concentrate on trying to get a good technique going, and I didn't have to worry about catching any of the colostrum. One thing I did do wrong was to go to hard and ended up bruising my breasts. Didn't actually hurt, I could just see bruises on them.

adk

Post by adk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:54 am

I am stressing about this too. I am good at expressing with a machine, but crap at hand expressing, and definitely couldn't do it if DP was sitting with a syringe staring at me while I was doing it! I have been told that using a pump is pretty hopeless for colostrum though. The LC I spoke to wants me to start at 37 weeks so I have time, but I am stupidly really worried about it. I will be really interested in what you find most helpful 3B'B.
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!