Tips on expressing at work

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
Kazairl

Tips on expressing at work

Post by Kazairl » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:11 am

I currently express at work for my 4.5 month old, however work can only accommodate 2 x 30min pumping sessions for me. During these sessions I can express 90-120mls of milk, my issue is I need to get about 140mls for a feed and my baby has 3 feeds while I'm at work.
I currently use a single electric pump, but cannot afford to get a double electric at this time. I have a private meeting room and comfortable chair to sit in. I try to relax as much as possible by listening to music and breathing deeply, but the concern of not getting enough mls is obviously getting to me.

Do you have any tips or tricks to getting more out of your pumping sessions?

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:34 am

Hi Kazairl

Can you get to an ABA meeting or call the helpline - there are many things you can do to improve your 'output'.

Good luck!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

fellare

Post by fellare » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:07 pm

hi there!

sounds like a pretty decent output to me! could you add an extra session in the morning or evening?
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:32 pm

I was going to suggest an extra pumping session morning and possibly night too if you need it, I could barely get 50ml max out when pumping so you are doing really well with what you get at the moment.

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Hand compressions while pumping?

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:49 pm

You might also find these interesting (or you might have seen them already):

Hands-on pumping as shown in this video http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeed ... ction.html - the video is aimed at mums who are exclusively pumping but the basic principle is the same to maximise your output.

If you could add another expressing session, pumping off one side in the morning while baby feeds of the other might be time efficient.

Info on feeding expressed milk to babies, including paced bottle feeding to encourage the baby to feed to their appetite (some mums find their babies guzzle huge amounts of milk while they're away, just because it's offered)
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/caregivers.html

Kazairl

Post by Kazairl » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:59 pm

parla wrote: Hands-on pumping as shown in this video http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeed ... ction.html - the video is aimed at mums who are exclusively pumping but the basic principle is the same to maximise your output.
Thanks parla, that was very informative, I shall try some of the suggestions from that video.

Thank you to everyone else as well for your suggestions.