When to stop pumping

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
clairek766

When to stop pumping

Post by clairek766 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:41 pm

My son turned 2 today and I'm still expressing...

I pump once a day at work and get up to 200ml, which he has at day care or when he's home with his dad.

I work three days in the office and I am sick of doing it I really am, but I'm worried it will hit my supply if I stop, plus he happily drinks what I leave for him.

Am I mad to still be pumping at this age?

If I gradually stop will that maintain my supply? Will it force him to wean on the days we are together?

Hope all this makes sense!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:50 pm

When DD started at daycare I was pumping twice a day (8 months). I dropped to once a day at about 11months and then stopped completely at about 14 months. I stopped just before she was ready - when I dropped back to one pump (due to work logistics) I had to comp with formula at times. Once my stash ran out (didn't take long) I sent soy milk and/or cows milk to day care for a bit (one 100mL bottle a day) until she stopped drinking then at about 15 months.

I pumped on one or two occasions after that when away all day for a wedding etc. DD is 2.5 months now and I've not pumped in about a year.

I got a bit engorged when I stopped pumping, but it was managable - a bit full and hard and a little sore, but only uncomfotable, not painful and ony for a few days.

I wasn't getting near 200mL a pump by then though - about 90 - 120mL I think. Could you drop back to 150mL for a few days, then 100mL etc? I'm not a BC - that's just a mother to mother suggestion.

Happy birthday to your son, and congratulations on WHO-hood :)
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

keyfive
Counsellor

Post by keyfive » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 am

I only work one day a week so it may be different but I was expressing once a day until DS2 was 18 months old. I decided this year that it was too time consuming to express so I stopped. DS2 was about 18 months. No problems with my supply at all, I feed DS2 on demand on the days that i don't work and that seems to keep my supply up. Somedays I will feel full at work but not overly engorged. I think as long as your DS has free access to your breast on the days you are not at work you should be ok. I agree with what Penguin has said too, about slowly reducing the amount you express. That way you should be able to stop feeling too engorged.
Mum to DS (31/05/06), DD (27/08/08 ), DS2 (18/06/11) and our newest addition DD2 (2/11/14)

fellare

Post by fellare » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:19 am

I stopped pumping at 16 months or so. I didn't notice an effect on my supply, but I do notice that they are rather full on Monday afternoon. I work 3 days a week.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)