first time expresser.

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
jessbailey

first time expresser.

Post by jessbailey » Mon May 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Boy this forum is handy! I'm going through the sticky group at the top but thought I'd get out all the questions I have.
How often should I express?
How much should I be expressing for each feed?
I was planning to just do enough for the next feed is this not the best way?
If not how do you store your milk?
How long should I express for? First bottle I got 70 mls within a few minutes but didn't know whether to keep going or not.
Do I need to warm expressed milk if it has only been at room temperature?
If bub doesn't finish a whole bottle can I store that if it hasn't been refrigerated
Should I be pumping both sides or just one.

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon May 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Why are you expressing is my first question? Also, how old is bub? Sorry, might have missed something that would have answered both my questions in another thread :oops:

ETA. Ok, just answered my own questions by not being so lazy and went looking!

For bubs under 4 weeks of age, there's a formula related to their weight to work out the amounts. However, not all feeds are exactly the same. You don't eat or drink exactly the same amount every time, and neither do babies. So whatever you express is great. You can offer small amounts at a time - if bub wants more, then offer more. If they don't want too much, there's been less waste.

Sorry, on ph, but if you search the main ABA website for expressing and storing breastmilk, you should find a lot of your questions answered?
Last edited by Esther on Mon May 06, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

fellare

Post by fellare » Mon May 06, 2013 5:29 pm

your baby is so little still.

If you can breastfeed, go with that. there is no need to express unless you're planning to go out and be seperated from your bub.

Or are you planning to exclusively express? if so, best to call the helpline about it, there is so much to it!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

jessbailey

Post by jessbailey » Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm

I am exclusively breastfeeding.

fellare

Post by fellare » Mon May 06, 2013 5:49 pm

well, in that case, I'd try to express what bub eats and perhaps an extra feed. The fresher the milk the better.

try cup feeding and read up on spaced feeding.

You can store milk in the fridge for a couple of days without issues and some babies don't mind it cold. it doesn't have to be warm! Some prefer it warm, though.

unfinished milk in a bottle has to be thrown out as it can be contaminated. Spaced feeding is best, giving bub 20 mL at a time and not more, then keep going until bub has had enough.

How much and how often you pump each time depends on how well your breasts respond to the pump. I'd probably do both sides each time, but if you have oversupply, you might just want to do one. I think it's a see how you go thing.

Why are you EE? is there a way to get bub back to the breast again? Can we help you with that? It's a huge pain in the butt. Might seem the easy option now, but not if you plan to do it for the longer term. Breastfeeding, once established is very easy. But it can take a while to get there. Have you seen a lactation consultant? who is supporting you?

jessbailey

Post by jessbailey » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm

I have a very fast flow that drowns her so she breaks the latch every 2-3 suckles which in turn has me in tears feeding. we've had our latch checked with a LC and no tongue tie but I will be getting a 2nd opinion on. I would love to keep bf but I just can't handle the pain from the clicking. to me this is better than switching to ff which I've been close to doing. Thankyou for the tips :)

Tx

Post by Tx » Mon May 06, 2013 7:46 pm

have you tried a shield? might help with some of the pain & help keep bub at the breast.
I EE and have been for 23months now & would thrown my pump away in a second if DS would have fed. But in saying that it is possible to EE and not need to FF :) Either way you need to do what's best for you & bub.
Good luck & keep us posted :)
DS 2002
DS 2005
DS 2008 my angel baby
DS 2011 Exclusively Expressed for 2yrs 2months
Baby No.5 due Aug 2014

Rachwa

Post by Rachwa » Tue May 07, 2013 8:45 am

Am not a counsellor, but just some thoughts...70ml is a mega amount to express in one go, particularly for first time expressing and with such a young bub. I'm wondering if an oversupply/forceful letdown is the issue as it was for me.

Is bub having lots of wet and dirty nappies and gaining weight well?

What happens if you let bub feed while you lie down?

I think a helpline counsellor will be able to offer you some tips so you can be pain free and not have to express either, unless you want to.
DS1 (T) Dec 2010, weaned Dec 2012
DS2 (H) July 2013, milk is in!

jessbailey

Post by jessbailey » Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 am

hmm the 4 bottles I did after that I got from 120-150 and she drunk them all :/

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm

jessbailey wrote:hmm the 4 bottles I did after that I got from 120-150 and she drunk them all :/
Did you know that bottle feeding works quite differently to breastfeeding? When your DD stops sucking at the breast, the milk stops flowing, but that doesn't happen when she stops sucking on the bottle teat. The milk keeps flowing and so she has to keep swallowing, or feel like she's drowning. You can watch what's happening when using a bottle - if it looks like she's shaking her head, or trying to push away the bottle, let her have a short break. It's often better to give the milk in small amounts - you can always give a little more if you need to.

Watching a baby 'guzzle' a bottle is a sure-fire way to make a mum doubt her supply. Your supply is obviously fine, but the feeding method can muddy the waters.
Esther
Storked by nat*4

fellare

Post by fellare » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm

yes, those bottles are huge to drink in one go. 40mL would be much more appropriate.

I also used to express tons when DS was a baby. 200mL on day 5 :shock: Lots and lots of milk and it caused huge issues and me too, I was ready to EE. Now I'm so glad I stuck to it, though! I have to express for work and it's a huge PITA. So over it.

The clicking is not strange, but it shouldn't hurt. unlatching should not hurt, even with oversupply and fast flow.

Can you stick to at least some feeds? so bub doesn't loose that connection with feeding and then, perhaps, when you're supply has settled, you can go back to full time breastfeeding with little issues.

Could you, perhaps, unlatch her with your pinky once she starts clicking and that might help the pain. I'd be interested to see what the 2nd opinion comes up with. Have they checked for lip tie? posterior tongue tie? It's not always easy to spot the issues.

and yes, expressed milk is better than artificial milk. According to the WHO the order of preference is:
mums milk from tap
mums milk from cup
different mums milk from tap
different mums milk from cup
artificial milk.

jessbailey

Post by jessbailey » Tue May 07, 2013 8:58 pm

yep I know the signs and she was still hungry after an 80mlk bottle. course I don't make her drink the whole thing in one go...
I've gotten shields and only having the first initial latching on pain and then much much better so I'm not expressing bottles.

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 am

jessbailey wrote:yep I know the signs and she was still hungry after an 80mlk bottle. course I don't make her drink the whole thing in one go...
I've gotten shields and only having the first initial latching on pain and then much much better so I'm not expressing bottles.
That's great to hear that you know what the signs are when DD has had enough :) She was probably just really hungry for those feeds.

Hmm, the initial pain latching on sounds like some sort of attachment issue. Is it possible to get some face-to-face assistance? Even if it looks fine, pain indicates an issue, even if it's only for a few minutes. How does you nipple look at the end of the feed?

Good luck!
Esther
Storked by nat*4