using frozen EBM- smell & taste ?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
nikmack

using frozen EBM- smell & taste ?

Post by nikmack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi everyone,
this is my first post- hoping that you can help :)
I am weaning from expressing & using EMB since my LO was 3 wks old (poor suction/breast refusal) he is now almost 9 months. I prepared a sachet of frozen EBM for him & noticed the milk had a acidic odour. I tasted a bit of it myself & it tasted HORRIBLE :( Very acidic & bitter. sorry to be graphic but it tasted very similiar to bile/ vomit.
It was stored on 10/1/13 and used on 27/4/13- what went wrong? I stored it in proper storage bags, it stayed frozen etc.
I know that sometimes EBM can smell/taste soapy but this was not that.
I am feeling very disheartened as I have a freezer full of EBM &was hoping to give my LO EBM long after weaning
Hope someone can help

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 pm

I would bet a million dollars that its a lipase issue. Good news if that is what it is, you can fix it. Bad news is here is no known way to rescue your stash :(

The way to test is to scald your milk after expressing, then freeze it. Defrost it and see what it tastes/ smells like. I'm 99% sure it mont be yucky.

There's a sticky, let me go find the link. .
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 pm

DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

nikmack

Post by nikmack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Thanks heaps PENGUIN for your post. Bad news is that I have now stopped expressing totally :(

So, just to clarify, there is no way to save my stash now that it has already been expressed/frozen and stored?

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Not that I know of :(

I've got 3L of ruined milk in my freezer that I can't bear to throw out. It's even too old to use now even if it didn't smell gross.

Welcome to the forum btw. Please hang round :)
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Your stash is still say to drink, but if bub refuses it there's nothing you can do about the taste.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

nikmack

thanks

Post by nikmack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks PENGUIN for your advice, very very helpful. Guess I'll just defrost one bag at a time and see if each bag is 'ruined' by the yuk smell, to be honest I don't think I can feed it to my LO because it smells & tastes so bad
:(

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Wed May 01, 2013 5:32 am

If you know it has been stored properly and isn't off, then I'd thaw some and try it out onbub. My DS drank my frozen ebm if it was still cold (just thawed) but refused it if room temp or warm because of the taste I guess. I certainly thought it tasted bad.

If your bub likes it still (cold, room temp or wsrm) then this great and you can save the stash, if not then you xn throw it knowing for sure that here was no way to save it.

Hope that helps?

nikmack

Post by nikmack » Wed May 01, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks PENGUIN & DUCKS for your advice- Yep, I'll thaw out one bag at a time and go from there. I'm thinking that if it is a lipase and storage time related problem then I may be able to save some of the last lot of milk I froze because it has had less time for the enzymes to destroy?
PENGUIN, can completley understand how you have kept the 3L of milk and can't throw out- it is so difficult to throw out, particularly knowing the time, energy, good intentions you had for the milk and bubba.

J1974

Post by J1974 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:24 pm

How have you gone with the thawing out experiment? I have the lipase issue too - 3 yrs ago I threw away a lot of unfinished bottlea of EBM that my DS refused to drink; but fortunately found out about scalding before DD was born and she still happily drinks milk that I scalded before I froze it.

However I did find that I could mix the "stinky" EBM into things like cereal or porridge and DS would eat that quite happily. If you're happy your milk is safe for bub (as it will be if it's just a lipase issue) you might be able to use some up that way.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 am

Its important to remember that milk effected by lipase is safe for your baby. Many babies are happy to drink it, even though we think it smells/tastes bad. Of course, it your baby refuses, and many do, you're stuck. But its only a problem if its a problem for your baby. If you know it has been stored as recommended, its safe to use.
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)