Expressing for no.2

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
By~The~Baby

Expressing for no.2

Post by By~The~Baby » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 am

I just found out i'm pregnant again, yay :)! I'm still breastfeeding my 19month toddler once or twice a day, when she was little she was a failure to thrive, low weight gain baby and i just persisted with breastfeeding on demand and she lived on the breast, at times I tried to express some milk for her to try and get more into her, but it was hard to find a moment when i could put her down to express or which had been long enough between feeds to make any decent amount of milk, she is still a lightweight, she eats so much food and has plenty of energy, she is a happy and bright toddler which must have a high metabolism or something, and she would still feed all day if she could so it just seems to be who she is. So now i'm preg again I thought maybe i could express once a day throughout my preg and store the milk in a chest freezer incase bub no.2 is the same, I read on the breastfeeding expressing magnet i have that you can store in deep freeze for 6-12 months so i would start at 4 months preg and would just like some advice on what double electric pump in best, I can get a hold of an ameda pump, and as well what is best to store the milk in, in what quantity and what have people found the most efficient way for bringing it out of the freezer and preparing it for bub. Or should I just not worry about it and wait to see what bub does?

Snake Hips Mcroy

Post by Snake Hips Mcroy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:43 am

Hey congratulations!

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it - any previously expressed milk she drinks would presumably cause a drop in supply, as she would be getting milk without your breasts making any. And besides, you might end up with a chubba baby who finishes both sides in 10 mins, and then all that hard work expressing would be for nothing!
Last edited by Snake Hips Mcroy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 am

I would wait too, your supply will probably drop a lot while you are pregnant too, so you may find it difficult to express much anyway :)

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 pm

You may also find you're expressing colostrum soon too.

Sounds like it might be useful to debrief your first breastfeeding experience and get some ideas and info for Bub 2? Have you considered phoning or emailing a counsello? You could just cut and paste your post. Maybe a breastfeeding class as well. There's always something new to learn about breastfeeding.

Sounds like you did a wonderful job with no 1. No 2 may be completely different. Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi, I'm expressing now at 36 weeks... and I can tell you its not milk coming out- its colostrum... and its bugger all. Its enough to feed a new born baby whose tummy is the size of a marble- but it won't help a baby whose tummy is the size of their fist ( generally happens around a week old to weaning)
I vote do what Esther suggested and either debrief with a counsellor ( local group would be awesome) or a International Board Certified Lactation Consultant or IBCLC and get another game plan going for just in case. They can help you work out the contingency plan :)
Oh and a breastfeeding class would also help.
btw local groups would welcome young kids so you could even go along to those from now on and pick up more tips.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

By~The~Baby

Post by By~The~Baby » Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 pm

thank you so much everyone, will relax and see what happens when bub arrives. I go to the local aba group and love breastfeeding so much. I hope that bub no.2 will gain weight better so i don't have to worry about it. But even if it doesn't i will feel more confident after persevering with no.1. Will let you know how we go :)

marie7

Post by marie7 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

By the sounds of it your daughter WAS thriving!! I think some kiddies are just meant to be little? Like you said she eats like a horse now and still bf plenty so clearly she is just genetically blessed?! Like my lightweights!! I honestly can't believe how much food my ds2 eats and still bf a zillion times a day and he's still quite petite!! So was my first boy. Don't stress and feed, feed, feed when bub comes along! HUGE CONGRATS and hope you enjoy your pregnancy!!
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)