time to increase expressing sessions?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Should I add some more expressing sessions?

Yes, definitely
No votes
Yes, try it for a few days and see if it makes any difference
14%
No, it sounds fine where it is
57%
Give DD2 a potato instead
29%

Total votes: 7

Esther

time to increase expressing sessions?

Post by Esther » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 pm

DD2 is 10 months old at the end of the week ( :shock: )

It's easier for me to find time to express once a day at work in our lunch break. At the moment I get about 200ml out, doing both sides at once in about 20-30 mins (absolute maximum time). The left side is by far the better producer :?

I could just find time to maybe do 5-10 minutes at our morning and afternoon breaks, but they are exactly 15 minutes, so I'd have to be snappy. I guess doing one side at each break?

Is it worth trying for a week and seeing if it ups the amount? Or is 200ml bucketloads for a 10 month old baby who mostly takes a minimum of half of it at day care? I've got a small stash in the freezer, but I'd rather not eat into every day to up the amount I send along iykwim.

I'm somewhat muddled as this once a day expressing pattern consistently got me much more milk for longer with the other two and I'm puzzled as to why. They didn't drink it. I expressed for my own comfort and to maintain supply I guess.

All thoughts and experiences gratefully accepted.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

katw

Post by katw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:06 pm

I always found expressing every break a pretty tough gig. Are you most concerned about supply or stash? If milk into the freezer > or = milk out, I'd leave it for work time. When I've been concerned about stash I've found it easier to add in an expression session at home after bedtime or on a day off. I don't get as much as a skipped feed but the little bits add up.

You can always try more sessions for a week and see what happens...but sometimes that leaves you committed to continuing IME.

Not sure if any of that is any help at all! Hope you work it out.
katw - mum to 3 girls Superhero 2002, Fairy 2006, Goldeneyes 2009 and one boy - Lennylion 2012

fellare

Post by fellare » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:23 pm

I only express that much at the moment. in 2 sessions, though, both breast both sessions.

DS would eat just that. I'm not expressing more because it makes me leak.

I used to have an extra session in the morning during breakfast as well. And if I got stuck with not enough milk, I'd do one in the evening on top of that.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:45 pm

I would tell you here that I'm not a counsellor, but you already know that.

Why do you want to express more? (Serious question) if this is working, she has enough to drink and you're not exploding, then why bother with another pump?

If you do want to add another pump it, I would do five mins a side, rather than one side at mt and one at at or you'll be lopsided all day.

Ps 15 mins of uninterrupted pumping time? That's heaps :)
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:40 pm

I guess I'm wondering about increasing my stash. Especially as I' v aware that my supply has gone down since my period came back. Mind you, we had to throw half the milk today as I defrosted about 200ml, DD2 didn't drink half, so it had to go. Maybe I just need to get smarter with my stash use - send it along frozen, only to be defrosted if needed. The day care mum is v supportive of having ebm, but I know just tends to pour out 100ml or so at a time and it just sits there until it gets drunk. Feels ick to me. Have tried suggesting offering it in smaller amounts, but was on a sticky wicket today as I'd already said what wasn't drunk would have to be tossed. If I send along fresh milk, if it's been sitting out in a cup, I can't take it home and freeze it.

Sorry Penguin, I know 15mins of expression time is luxury *blush*
Esther
Storked by nat*4

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Maybe store in 50ml lots. Then daycare mum can thaw 100ml for the day, and if she needs more then she can thaw another 50ml etc. This way wastage would be less. :) I think 200ml for while you are at work is a great amount, assuming she is taking some solids :) If she is happy with it I would be happy with it.

Maybe she would like steamed potato :?

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:13 pm

DD2 is a very enthusiastic solids taker. Including taking food from other kids! I watched her make a beeline for a toddler with a stick of avocado yesterday when I was doing the prep pick up. The toddler looked half asleep still. I think DD2 would have grabbed it if I hadn't grabbed her first. The daycare mum says she's learnt to give DD2 some food as soon as she's sitting down at the table, otherwise she tries to get to the other kids' food. Sooooo embarrassing. Although DS still wins for burping loudly during the quietest part of my cousin's wedding :shock: :lol:

I freeze the milk in sticks from the slimline trays. I'll have a think about some ways I can send along frozen milk perhaps....
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Can you leave some there frozen in 50 or 100 ml lots?

How much are you sending each day ATM?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Trying to thing... When dd was 10 months I think I was sending two 100 ml bottles plus solids.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Could you send the sticks in a ziplock bag and then the day are lady can take out what she needs one or two sticks at a time?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013