accidentally increasing supply

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
fellare

accidentally increasing supply

Post by fellare » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:30 am

Hey all,

last week I was at study full time. Lectures from 10 until 16, with half an hour drive. I expressed twice in this time, once at 11, once at 2. Ds actually ate all that milk and then still was super keen to feed when I got home. I think I expressed about 250mL each day, if that. not a huge amount for me.

Now it's weekend and I am full and leaking. So I must have increased my supply, even thought I did not express that much. With leaking, I mean, random let downs and squirting when Ds is feeding. He has very short feeds, and every time I end up standing above the sink or garden with two little fountains.

driving me nuts, I hate leaking.

Did I express too much? How can I regulate this? I will have more of these weeks, but not every week. Should I express less? but DS wants the milk. Or should I just suck it up.

DH calls it projectile leaking :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 am

Hi fellare
Although frustrating, I think this might just be one of those things that can only be cured with 'tincture of time'. LOs often feed more enthusiastically after a separation and this can ramp up your supply. It'll settle down to 'the new normal' over the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile, treat yourself to a box of really good breast pads - and some chocolate. Because chocolate makes everything better :wink:.
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

fellare

Post by fellare » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 pm

yes, chocolate is good! full of much needed calcium.

It's going to be very irregular for the coming year, with some weeks full time, some weeks nothing.

I'm carrying a cloth nappy with me now, cause every feed results in spray. I used to do that in the early days too.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 pm

I inadvertently did the same thing when the babies were smaller. I made oat and date biscuits (and then ate about 10 of them over the course of the day :oops: ) and the next day I was dripping milk every time I bent over just about :shock: