Using frozen expressed breast milk HELP!

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Using frozen expressed breast milk HELP!

Postby Domdom16 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:18 am

Hello,

We have a wedding to attend in a couple of weeks and both my husband and i are apart of the bridal party which means it will be a long day and i wont be able to attend to my 3.5 month old each time he wants to breastfeed. My mother in law will be there to assist and i have started expressing in preparation for this. I have been told by a midwife that to not confuse my supply i should express 30ml-50ml at a time. I have been doing this and freezing about 50ml each day in separate bags. My question is on the day can i unfreeze two - three bags and mix them together to make up one bottle? even though the milk was expressed on different days (some a few days apart), can i mix it all up once unfrozen? Im really struggling to understand this expressing and storing business, its getting me stressed out! :(
Domdom16

Re: Using frozen expressed breast milk HELP!

Postby JennyD » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi
Yes, you can combine milk from more than one expressing session. Although serving them in 50ml lots is probably a good idea, as once bub has started drinking from the bottle it is contaminated, and if bub only takes half a bottle you need to throw the rest. Not such a sad thing if the bottle only had 50ml in to start with, but throwing half of 100ml is much more frustrating. You may find our caregivers guide helpful here too: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... stfed-baby You may also find this blog about expressing helpful as well as all the information on our webpage: http://yvettesramblings.blogspot.com.au ... g-and.html
Hope this helps.
JennyD
Counsellor

Re: Using frozen expressed breast milk HELP!

Postby Domdom16 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you. So should i unfreeze the milk in the fridge over night and then on the day put it in separate bottles? Will i need to keep them in a cooler bag and just take them out when needed? Im so sorry if these are silly questions, im a first time mum and not sure about expressing. Thanks again
Domdom16

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk