Has my pump stopped working?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Has my pump stopped working?

Postby Tiggle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi everyone.

I went back to work 2 days a week at the beginning of December, then upped it to 3 days since January. The first week of March I'm going up to 4 days with the aim to be back to full time at some stage (probably once I run out of leave). My work have been exelent in organising me an expressing room and time away to pump.

My baby was 7 1/2 months old when I first went back. She didn't like taking milk from a bottle or cup much at all, but have since made some headway. She is now in the habbit of eating most of her solids during the day while home with dad, then catches up with milk feeds once I'm home (we usually end up cosleeping those nights).

I have been expressing twice a day when I'm at work. At first I was getting about 100ml from each breast for the first express and then 100ml total for the second. This was far in excess of what she was drinking while I was away, so I've cut back on how much I took to about 200ml a day. About 2 weeks ago I started having problems getting anything with the pump, but when I hand express the milk is ready to go and I can get a similar volume. I've changed the valve and membrane and the pump still feels the same as when it was working.

Any suggestions? I'm happy to continue hand expressing, it's just less convenient (I try and eat at the same time) and tends to get messy (spraying milk).

I am also hoping, once bubs is 12 months, to switch her over to cows milk while I'm away and only breastfeed while I am home. Is this likely to cause me supply problems? Her dad is also cow protein intolerant so I'm hopeful she hasn't inherited that.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Has my pump stopped working?

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi Tiggle

The helpline can help with this - talk you through everything! One suggestion, was it a second-hand pump or new to you? They do wear out.

Otherwise, helpline :)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk