Exclusive Expressing Support

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
tses

Post by tses » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:13 pm

JennyD wrote:
tses wrote:DD took the first spoon of rice cereal, she looked very confused I hope she will get better tomorrow.
:) I love that look "what do I do with this?" :)
Yep, after a week, she is still giving me that look, so funny.

Tx

Post by Tx » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi Mackey :smt006

You'll find some fabulous help & tips on here :)

I have been EEing for 20 months now.

I had pace feed my bub, as he use to guzzle & then bring it back up. It worked really well for us & the most he has ever taken at a time is 140-150ml but that's rare normally only 120-130ml & that is still the same now :)

Just an idea that you have probably tried. Nipple shields?!?

Also if you aren't already Hands free pumping. Search Kelly Mom hands free. It works so well :D

Hope some of this helps :D

Tx
DS 2002
DS 2005
DS 2008 my angel baby
DS 2011 Exclusively Expressed for 2yrs 2months
Baby No.5 due Aug 2014

Jenny500

Post by Jenny500 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi mackey

How are you going?

Sadly due to a forum hiccough you won't be able to post with that address until the 12th of March, because that is when the forum thinks you last posted, and it won't let you post before your last post. Very strange sort of computer logic. So if you want to update you may need to create a new ID, as quite a few of us are doing. Or else simply wait until the 12th of March. If you do have questions and don't want to create a new addy, you can PM people.

I hope everything is going well.

mackey

new to pumping

Post by mackey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Im very new to pumping exclusively...my baby is only 3 weeks old. I need to try breastfeeding again but I have lost all confidence and have gotten into a comfortable routine pumping. And i dont want to damage my nipples again and have pumping be painful as well. My baby is eating over 1000ml a day...and sometimes a bottle will only last her 1-2 hours...i feel shes having too much. she sleeps well at night, usually only getting up at around 1230&430...but during the day and evening her feedings are very frequent. she usually has a 100-120ml bottle. if anyone has any advice on feeding amounts it would be greatly appreciated. At birth my baby was 4.3kg and is currently around 5kg.

1) How many times do you express in a 24 period? 8

2) How much milk do you express per day? Does your supply remain consistent throughout the day or do you notice a marked difference between expressing in the morning and evening? i get around 900ml a day, i find the first pump in the morning (around 7am) yields the most...i usually get between 100 & 150ml per pump

3) Do you have a set time routine for expressing or do you just wing it? i wing it usually, but try to go every 2 hours during the day and then the 2 times i have to get up to feed bub at night

4) Do you find that expressing is incredibly tedious, especially in comparison to breastfeeding? VERY tedious, but breastfeeding was far too painful even though lactation consultants confirmed she was latched on correctly.

5) What do you do while you express? usually play on my phone

6) How long have you been exclusively expressing? since she was 1 week old, so 2 weeks all up!

7) Got any tips for making expressing easier and/or more enjoyable? its so much harder when you're constantly looking at how much you're pumping..try to keep your mind occupied elsewhere!

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi mackey

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find lots of support here.

You may find the caregivers guide helpful. It has a good description of paced bottle feeding, which tends to slow intake down a little. Babies tend to suck on anything in their mouth, so some babies drink more than they need, simply because it is there. https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... stfed-baby Research shows that babies between 3months and 6 months drink an average of 800ml in 24 hours, ranging from 500ml to 1200ml so your baby is in the range, but on the high side. Paced bottle feeding may help. The other thing I found helped was to simply offer less milk, some days bub would be happy with a smaller amount, other times he made it clear he needed more, but I always offered about 80ml and then 40 more if needed.

Hope that helps.

tses

Post by tses » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello Exclusive pumpers :)

My DD now is 7.5 month and started taking solid a month ago. She was a bit reluctant at the beginning, but now seems to enjoy her solid a lot more than her milk (She is now down to drinking 700ml a day, used to be well over 1L).

As much as I love pumping (I know it sounds weird :oops: ), but I really need to reduce my supply as I am running out of freezer space and feel very sad to throw so much out a day. I am pumping 4 times a day and get around 1.1L, I am thinking of dropping down to 3 pumps or even 2 pumps? I didn't see a big drop when I went down to 4 pumps, I simply pump more per session and get around the same as I pumped 6 times per day.

For those that pump only 2-3 times a day, did u see a big drop in your supply? And for those that already weaned from the pump, how did u wean? And how painful was it?

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi tses

I found my supply plummeted when I went from 4 to 3, but not only that I got mastitis. Still your boobs are different to mine and will hopefully react differently. I also found that it wasn't hard to reboot my supply, so if your supply does drop, you can fix it. I went back to 5 times a day for a week until my supply came back.

Hope that helps, and well done for getting to 7.5 months :)

tses

Post by tses » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi JennyD,

Mastitis is another thing I worry about, as I used to get blocked ducts easily. So when did u go down to 3 pumps? And did u find that your supply decrease as times went by or supply only decrease if u drop pumping session? ? I am happy to pump 4 times a day as it suits the schedule at work, but I know eventually I would need to wean from the pump. I am feeling sad thinking about this already.

Sonia

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 pm

I went down to 3 pumps sometime after 18 months. And yes I did find my supply gradually dropped all on its own. At 6 months I was making 1.4ltr a day, by 18 months I was down to about 1ltr each day even though I was doing 4 sessions per day. It just kept on dropping. I actually tried 3 times a day a few times, and each time I got mastitis. When he was 2 I was making about 800ml each day and that is when I cut back to 3 sessions and my supply quickly dropped to 500ml per day adn kept on dropping. I didn't need to try to cut back, my body just did it. I don't think my body really like the pump :)

tses

Post by tses » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks JennyD. I may stick to 4 pumps a day then, my mum was scaring me the other day saying if I don't drop my supply wouldn't decrease. A bit scary to still pump over 1 L when DD is a few years old :lol:

I am aiming to stop until I have no more milk :) Pumping was a pain at the beginning, but seeing DD grows to be such a healthy and beautiful girl, I think it is worth it. And since she started solid and I dropped the middle of the night pump, things just got easier and easier.

Tx

Post by Tx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 pm

Awesome job tses :D

I went down to 3 pumps after bub was 1, but have never had the supply that you have. I only ever cracked 1L mark a couple of times. Good thing though I always had plenty to satisfy DS.

Now at 20months I am down to 2-3 & that gives me about 500ml a day, Ds has 3x140ml in 24hrs. If I have too many days of only 2 sessions than I find I have big drop in supply, so I add the 3rd back for while than all is good again :)

Maybe you could just start to reduce the amount of time at each session will might help keep away the blockages until you are ready to drop a session and will slowly reduce the output = less down the sink :wink:

I am also starting to think about the day I stop & it makes me a lil :( as this is my last bub & I think I am still sad about him not being able feed directly.....
DS 2002
DS 2005
DS 2008 my angel baby
Baby No.5 due Aug 2014

tses

Post by tses » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi Tx

I started dropping the time on all my sessions and it works! Now I only pump for 30 mins in the morning from 40mins and my supply has dropped a little with no blocked ducts!!!! So I think if I keep doing it, it should work. Not sure why I got blockage before when I dropped the time maybe I reduced it too much?? Now I am down to about 1050mL a day and Dd is on 800ml, so it is perfect! Also got my period yesterday that msy be another reason.

And I also get to pump 4 times a day!

Sonia

cltay

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum

Post by cltay » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:01 am

I am new to the forum and have been combining expressing and formula for the last few weeks due to breast refusal and breastfeeding challenges. I have a 5 week old baby.
It has been a long journey so far (even though 5 weeks is not long). It has been challenging from the first week with breastfeeding having many issues with positioning and attachment and now my baby boy is refusing the breast so I have hired a Medela industrial pump to express and I also supplement him with formula.
I have found expressing and giving formula quite tedious as I want to feed him the bottle, spend time skin to skin and he now gets more wind after each feed so the routine is taking so long with all the bottle washing as well.
Just wondering if anyone has any tips to make my life easier as I feel like I don't have much time in the day that is not spent expressing, preparing and washing bottles, winding etc.
Any tips for washing bottles quickly while saving water before sterilising? (washing each part of a bottle or breast pump part under hot running water each time is using up alot of water)

Tx

Post by Tx » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 am

Hi cltay :D

Welcome to the forum. Well done for getting this far. it is hard work especially in the early days, when trying to build a supply & take care of your new bub as well as your self.

You don't have to wash your pump piece's after each session. You can place them in a clean container and pop it in the fridge till next time & then wash and Sterilize at then end of each day. I use to wash after every pump & it is very time consuming & once I found out about storing it in the fridge I was down to only 3 times a day so I just was rinse with hot & let it air dry on a rack now.

If you do sterilize after each session, you don't need to rinse with hot water, cold is fine (please someone correct me if I'm wrong :wink: )

Another thing that may help is having enough bottles to get you through the day & have one big was at the end of each day (DH is always good for that :wink: )

Any time bub has at the breast sucking or not is great for you the both of you :D Baths are also a great way to try feed or comfort suck also as bub is often relaxed. I found the best way to do this was sit in the bath crossed legged and have bub lay across my lap,so they weren't in the 'feed position' as this alone would make my DS refuse.

Good luck and the forum is a great way of getting support & helping with suggestions & remember you can call or email a councillor any time the contact details are at the top of the page.

Side Note: Nice work tses hope the blockages have stayed away :D
DS 2002
DS 2005
DS 2008 my angel baby
Baby No.5 due Aug 2014

cltay

Hi Tx

Post by cltay » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 am

Thank you for your suggestions and reply :-) . Great suggestion, which makes me feel relieved, thanks!! Only thing is that I think I have nipple thrush. Dr has been treating me for mastitis but I'm thinking it may be thrush so I'm treating me and DS for same at the moment just in case. In this case, do I need to be washing all parts in hot soapy water everytime or just rinsing in cold water and putting in steriliser each time until thrush clears up. Do you need to scrub bottles out everytime you use them for formula and breastmilk or do you just rinse in cold and put in steriliser? :-)