Exclusive Expressing Support

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
JennyD
Counsellor

Re: Exclusive Expressing Support

Post by JennyD » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:44 am

Hi MamaMagona

Welcome to the forum and congratulations for expressing for 3 months so far. You are doing such a great job. Yes it is hard isn't it, especially if they won't sleep at expressing time. It is amazing what you find you can do while expressing when you have to :)

Jenny

MamaMagona

Post by MamaMagona » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:46 am

Hi Beth Rez, just re-reading your post. The ABA guide for storing breast milk says you can leave breast milk at room temperature for 6 hours. I pump before bed and leave the bottle on the feeding table. Then there's no need to heat it up.
Your situation sounds tough. Keep trying the breast and hang in there with the pumping!! Good work!

tses

Post by tses » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:07 am

Hello fellow EE mums :) Some of you may know I have pumped for my DD since birth and she is now turning 2 next month :lol: We had a terrible breastfeeding start at the beginning which resulted in me pumping full time. A very close friend of ours delivered recently and had a brilliant breastfeeding start which gave us the hope that bf can work if we get the right help early. So now we are actively trying for second... :D :D :D :D

We would like to know anyone that EE the first time and is able to bf successfully the second time. We need some encouragement stories to boost our confident.

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi tses, I haven't actually breastfed after expressing, as I breastfed my first 3 and expressed for number 4. However, there is a great book on the market called "Breastfeeding, take two" by Stephanie Casemore about her experiences. She exclusively expressed for her first and went on to breastfeed her second. It may be worth a look. I found her first book really helpful when I was expressing for DS2, so hopefully her second book will be helpful for you. There are also a few members of the forum who have formula fed their first and gone on to breastfeed, hopefully one of these mums will drop in.

The other thing to remember is that every baby is different. I have four kids and all four had different breastfeeding experiences, and are different in so many ways, so just because you couldn't breastfeed your first, you may be able to do it with subsequent.

A+D

Post by A+D » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi tses, I EEd for my firzt 3 for at least a little bit, all were on formula well before their first birthdays and I had low supply, they were prem, which was the source of most our problems, I now have an almost 6mo, who bf constantly and well, and have had no supply probs whatsoever. She was full term, and I was much better informed about bf, so a very different situation. Good luck next time around and have fun ttc...
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

tses

Post by tses » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello Jenny,

Happy to hear from you again. I have heard of Stephanie Casemore as I am also a member of EE group on facebook. I wasn't aware she has a second book, going to have check it out, thanks! I understand that every bub is different, however would also like to know that does every bub know how to bf if there is no medical condition?

To be honest til today I still don't know why it didn't work out for me. Every midwife/LC/nurse told me a different thing at the beginning, I think every possible reasons were placed on my case - large nipple, small mouth, irregular shape nipple, correct latch, wrong latch, bottle used too early, wrong bottle, wrong teat, possible tongue tie, not shoving bub to the breasts, shoving her too hard to the breast..etc. You get the picture.

When my friend bub was a few weeks old, I visited her and was there to observe the whole feed. In fact my nipples don't look any bigger/flatter than my friend, and my bub mouth wasn't a lot smaller too... That made me wonder if I got the right help at the beginning. Further into the discussion she told me that she was lucky enough to have a knowledgable midwife in the second shift that was able to show her a correct latch. She told me that she wouldn't think bf would work if she kept getting the midwives that forcefully shoved her son into her breasts. And I always thought that is how to make a baby latch - shove as hard as you can.... now my kid is 2 years old, I think that shoving was enough to tramatise her as she refuses to go near me if I am naked, and she hates everyone that touch her face.

I really wish the second time will work out for me! And I would hope that I will meet a midwife that has the time to teach me to get a correct latch.

Sonia

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:49 pm

A good friend of mine ee'd for her ds1 for 12 months, due to a myriad of possible reasons. She felt well supported to breastfeed while in hospital, and had an LC helping her out for the next 6 weeks. I don't really know what happened. There were loads of things she tried, a few she didn't, but she never managed to get her ds back to the breast. He was full term, although a traumatic labour ending in a cesarean.
She got pregnant again, talked with Breastfeeding counsellors, the LC at the hospital, various midwives and her antenatal caregivers about things that she could do differently. But was quite relaxed knowing that worst case she could express for 12 months again. Her waters broke at 36 weeks and she had her baby via cesarean shortly after. While baby didn't have a great suck reflex, she was very interested in sucking, and although she did pump at the start, this baby enthusiastically fed at the breast for 12 months.
What I found interesting was the struggle she had trusting she could make enough milk for bub no 2, despite having done it for her ds. She found it a little hard to let go of the amounts she could express and just trust that she could make sufficient milk without needing to measure it.
So you can absolutely do it :-D
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

emmanemm

Post by emmanemm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 9 month old daughter and we have recently begun EE. She was full BF from birth (though it was a very rocky beginning) but two weeks ago she abruptly started refusing to breastfeed. I suspect this was related to either teething or low supply. She had been feeding more often overnight a couple of weeks leading up to her strike. Either way though this is where we are. We haven't had a single breastfeed since so I started pumping. She only takes it in a straw cup and refuses all bottles.

I'm finding it very tough to EE. I try to pump every 2.5-3.5 hours during the day. I stopped pumping overnight because she was refusing the feed. She still wakes though and takes up to 1.5 hours to settle back to sleep, usually by bed sharing. I really struggle with quantity and feel low supply may be an issue. I only get 160mls in the morning and 60-80 mls each time after. That's with a hospital grade, double pump. I give her around 120 mls each feed but suspect she would take more if it was offered. After 2 weeks I am only 3/4 a day ahead in stored milk.

It feels very stressful because I can't miss a pump. I feel like I can't go anywhere because between her naps and expressing there is not enough time. Plus she has 2-3 naps per day so she's usually awake when I have to express. She's either all over me or on the move making it quite stressful. I really don't know how to maintain this. I have increased my water intake, made lactation cookies and use regular massage while expressing but no change to supply. I'm also due back at work in a month and while they are supportive I don't see how I'm going to fit in so many pumping sessions in my day.

Any ideas? Yes I'm anxious but please not just to relax.

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi Emmanem, welcome to the forum. Exclusive expressing is so hard. And yes it takes a while for your body to get the hang of it and letdown all of the milk to the pump. I found it helped to browse the net or watch TV while expressing I tended to get more milk while I was distracted. Also it helped to have lots of skin to skin contact with bub, I found I got a real boost in supply every time he nuzzled the breast, it was amazing. Hormones do the most amazing things. I also found that expressing once a night was really helpful, even if he wasn't drinking it. Another thing that helped me was breast compression, so I often squeezed my breast while expressing to help get more milk out. I did sometimes express while he was awake, the easiest way to do that was to sit on the floor with him, and either feed him while I expressed or play games and sing songs. I expressed hands free, there are a couple of ways to do this, lots of products on the market to help etc. The easiest is the lackey band way, you can find the info here: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pump ... e-pumping/ I also bought a device that just hung around my neck and had openings for the pump, worked really well. I also had an adapter so I could pump in the car, I only did this when someone else was driving or else I would stop and pump before going inside etc. I covered myself with a scarf when I did this though :)

I hope these ideas help a bit.

Jenny

tses

Post by tses » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Ladies, I have done it!!!!! I have finally said good bye to my pump after 25 months of pumping and my DD has been taking a bottle of cow milk before bed with no issues. Yayyyy... Just want to share the joy with u all. Thank you! Sonia.

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:47 pm

It's such a relief to say goodbye to the pump isn't it! I didn't have to EE but I was so relieved when the partial-expressing phase was over.
DD born September 2013

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:05 am

Congratulations Sonia!! That's an amazing achievement.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Congratulations Sonia, well done for expressing for so long and finishing when the time is right for you.

tses

Post by tses » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Thank you ladies :) it is indeed a great feelings to day good bye to those pumps. Hopefully now that our TTC journey will be less bumpy.

Emma_R

Post by Emma_R » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:26 am

Hi all
I have a three week old and we have had a lot of trouble breastfeeding, with an emergency csection, infection with antibiotics that led to thrush, flat nipples, nipples shields, numerous midwives in hospital that all gave conflicting advice, small tongue tie (which has been fixed) four separate visits from an LC (who thinks his problem is a very short tongue). I have just had to go back to expressing for the third time to rest my nipples again.
I am looking for advice on where to go from here. I am in two minds, I would love to breastfeed and always imagined that I would but I find that I am really not enjoying it and am in tears at every feed due to the pain and being so upset that it's not working. I then consider exclusively expressing as I really want him to have breast milk but from just doing in on and off for a few weeks I know how hard this would be.

Thanks
Emma