Exclusive Expressing Support

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
Tx

Post by Tx » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:52 am

Hi rainbow_mamma :)

Just wanted to say Hi and that you are doing a wonderful job for your little one. I haven't been by in a while. I am coming to the end of my EE journey (bub will be 2 next week).

I haven't had a lot of experience with mix feeding. But have used formula for my other children. Generally if something changes suddenly, like pains, wind, poo than some thing could be up.... I not a HP though ;) Sometimes bubs can cope with a certain amount of dairy etc... until they reach a point where their little tummy's can't cope (this is what happening to my DS but he also was about 6months). I would say that is you are concerned than have a chat to your GP or MCHN and they will be able to help you out.

I kept my night pumps for quite a while as I have had supply issues with pumping, well after 6months maybe closer to 12months... hope that helps :)
DS 2002
DS 2005
DS 2008 my angel baby
DS 2011 Exclusively Expressed for 2yrs 2months
Baby No.5 due Aug 2014

rainbow_mamma

Post by rainbow_mamma » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:30 am

Ladies, I'm looking for some advice please.

I'm afraid I'm coming to the end of my expressing journey and am looking for advice.
I have nipple vasospasm and am struggling with the amount of pain I am in. Its not just when expressing its inbetween and can be quite nasty.
Bub is 3 months old and I really wanted to get to 6 months but for my physical and mental health I can't keep this up as I also have other chronic pain and health issues on top of the vasospasm.
My thinking is that if I stretch out the time between expressing that it will gradually decrease my supply instead of stopping expressing cold turkey.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
TIA

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi rainbow mamma

So sorry you are finding it so painful, nipple vasospasm is nasty. There is medication that may be able to help ease it a bit.

when I weaned from expressing I started out by simply dropping one session and stretching the rest to fit, so I went from every 3 hours (8times) to 3 hourly in the daytime and 4 at night (7 sessions), then I dropped another night one, so still 3 hourly in the day time but I think 6 hourly at night. Then I moved to 4 hourly, then 5 hourly or whatever, and found that I could cut one out. Once I was down to 4 sessions, I did the same, cut one out and moved the other so I had 3 sessions, then I gradually cut back the time I expressed until I felt confident with dropping the middle session. Once I did that my supply plummeted and I didn't have any trouble dropping the last two sessions, I was making very little by then. I hope this helps.
Jenny

rainbow_mamma

Post by rainbow_mamma » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 pm

It most definetly helps hun. Thank you so much.

tses

Post by tses » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi ladies,

For those that have gone down to 2 pumps, I am interested know your schedule :) my DD turned 1 not long ago and I have successfully gone down fr 4 to 3 pumps. 3 pumps is a pain as my arvo session is always around 1:30 to 2 and that is the time DD wants me to play with her. So I am considering going down to 2 then keep going until I run out.

Thanks,
Sonia

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi Sonia

Sadly when I dropped to 2 sessions my supply plummeted and I found myself getting only a dribble within a week. Luckily I was ready to wean anyway. I have heard of others who have managed with 2 sessions a day and made heaps of milk, just depends on the individual boobs I suppose.

tses

Post by tses » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:21 am

Hi JennyD,

Thanks again for your input! I drop quite a bit when I dropped down to 3 pumps too.... But DD interest is no longer in my milk, so I am ready to drop. When you went down to 2 how much were u pumping? So about a week later u weren't pumping much? I may need to discuss this with my hubby first then as we haven't introduced cow milk to DD yet.

Part of me want to keep going but part of me also want my freedom back. Not long ago we went for a 13 hours car trip down to melb, was tough with a 1yo but also tougher with pumping... We r going oversea in a few months, 9 hours with a lap child I don't think I can survive pumping in public again...

Thanks,
Sonia

tses

Post by tses » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:22 am

Hi JennyD,

I forgot to ask how much were you pumping when you went down from 3 to 2. And how old was your baby?

Thanks,
Sonia

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Sonia

I can't really remember the exact details, but I never really had huge success at 3 sessions a day. when I started with it I would get mastitis if I dropped from 4 to 3. Then later I was at 3 but with my period, I would have to do 4 times just before during and after it. So I suspect I needed at least 3 preferably 4 sessions a day to maintain my supply. I was probably getting about 500ml a day at 3 times when I dropped to two times and my supply dropped to about 200ml per day, and then nothing within a month or so. As I said before I think we are all different, and it is well worth trying it, if you need to you should be able to reboot your supply by going back to more sessions.

Good luck

ACLMummy

Amount to feed newborn

Post by ACLMummy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:52 am

Hi, I am exclusively expressing and feeding my 3 week old baby and am unsure as to whether I am under / over feeding her.

She was born weighing 3.45kg, went down to 3.3kg at 10 days and I haven't weighed her since. She currently feeds every 3 hours and I give her about 80-90mL each time. She finishes the bottle and spits up a little on occasion but not significant amounts. She generally seems satisfied after that much, she doesn't lick her lips or seek to suckle her hand so I'm assuming that she's satisfied. Nappies are all good too with a good number of bowel movements and wet nappies.

My question is when does her appetite increase and I have to increase the amount I feed her? How much is too much? I have friends who have babies 1 week older than mine and they're feeding 120mL expressed milk at a time!

tses

Post by tses » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Jenny,

Thanks again, I understand everyone is different but your experience is a good indication on what can happen if I drop, as I never thought supply can disappear that quickly.

I hope I can still go on for a few months with 2 pumps.

thanks,
Sonia

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi ACL mummy

It is so hard to know how much to feed your baby. It sounds like she is getting enough at the moment though, because she is content afterwards. It is very easy to overfeed a baby from a bottle as with the traditional bottle hold the milk just flows and bub has to drink it. If you are using paced bottle feeding it should work better, DS2 used to actually push the bottle away when he had finished (although he was older when he did this) Have you read our caregivers guide, it has some great information on how to pace your bottle feeds: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... stfed-baby. You may also find the information on this link helpful: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... expressing

DS2 never had more than 120ml per feed, even when he was over 12 months old. He could easily have drunk it, but I didn't offer that much as I wanted it to be more like breastfeeding and also he was always happy with the amount I gave him and he grew really well.

Beth Rez

Re: Exclusive Expressing Support

Post by Beth Rez » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi there!

I don't have any medical reasons for exclusively expressing, but it's not exactly a choice either...

I have been expressing since my DD was born, she is nearly 4 months old. I've always had a large supply. She had accepted the odd bottle fine if I needed to go out until I went to a wedding one night, her gran babysat, she had 2 meals in a row via bottle and since then...she has been on a "Nursing Strike" :smt012 So no more breastfeeding until she changes her mind. It was a bit of a shock to wake up one day, try to nurse, and she just bawled her eyes out, I thought something was really wrong, but nope. Just wanted a bottle...
I have been exclusively breastfeeding since then and it still brings me to tears sometimes when I try and nurse and she still turns away! I have tried every trick in the book and refuse to give up, my patience will outlast her stubbornness because if she is anything like her father, if I let her win it's a one way street :wink:

Having said that, my supply has always been excellent, and despite her voracious appetite (30 to 35oz a day average!) She has 6 or 7 oz in a feeding, 4 or 5 times a day. I am managing to keep up. JUST. She went through what I assume was a growth spurt last week, and I burned through my frozen stores, it takes some pretty vigorous pumping to get even a few ounces up at the end of the day and keep it aside for the next growth spurt. She has been downgraded to the newborn teats to try and encourage her to get back onto the breast but she just sucks twice as fast and twice as hard - and since she has begun teething this causes swollen gums sometimes, and I give her the next teat size up so she doesn't have to suck so hard, poor little lamb. She won't accept a spoon, cup, or dropper. She likes to skull her milk it seems. So bottle is my only option, for now.

At the moment I'm pumping every 2 - 3 hours and once at night around 3am (or I cant get back to sleep from the discomfort). It's disappointing because when she nursed she went down by 7pm and had a topup (via breast) at 2 or 3am, that got her through until morning. She never used to cry, but now because she has to wait for me to heat up her milk and wakes up fully, there's tears! :cry: I just wish I could go back to how things were. I feel chained to my breast pump and since I rarely have that much spare lying around, and can't go a few hours without pumping, I'm finding it hard even to get out of the house to get to the shops! (We live a little out of town). I have to dedicate 3 or 4 days to vigorous pumping just to get 1 or 2 feeds in the fridge if I need to go somewhere, instead of nursing on the go.

It's definitely a challenge, but even if I have to express for the next 3 months I won't stop trying to negotiate the terms of her 'strike'. The offer will always be there, she just has to take it!

I am determined to keep going for as long as it takes. Either she resumes breastfeeding, or I will keep pumping until she no longer wants it and is ready for big girl food. I have the time, and it's what's best for her.

Wish me luck!

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Wow Beth Rez, that is so hard. The rejection is so depressing isn't it? But it is definitely worth the effort :) Looking at your bub and knowing they are growing on your milk, even if not at the breast makes it all bearable.

Have you read the caregivers guide? It gives good hints on how to pace the bottle feeding. I found DS2 would drink whatever I offered him, but if I restricted him to 100ml per bottle (8 times a day) he was perfectly happy and grew really well. https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... stfed-baby

I hope it helps.

Jenny

MamaMagona

Post by MamaMagona » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:49 am

Hello,
I know this is an old post but I poured over it when I started exclusively expressing for my son who has a cleft soft palate. I thought I'd share my experience so far hoping it will help new expressing mums.
1) How many times do you express in a 24 period? 5. I'm very blessed to have a good supply!

2) How much milk do you express per day? Does your supply remain consistent throughout the day or do you notice a marked difference between expressing in the morning and evening?
I express around 200 mls per session, sometimes more. So around 1 litre per day. I try to empty one breast once a day to get the hind milk (creamier milk). I do it for about 12-15 minutes a session. Yes my supply goes up and down differently each day.

3) Do you have a set time routine for expressing or do you just wing it? Roughly. Usually 9am, 1 pm, 5pm, 9pm and around 3am.

4) Do you find that expressing is incredibly tedious, especially in comparison to breastfeeding? This is my first baby so I haven't breasted. I don't find it too bad.

5) What do you do while you express? Eating! Emails, Facebook, talk on the phone, sort out appointments, watch tv shows online.

6) How long have you been exclusively expressing? Almost 3 months. I'm hoping to go until 12 months!

7) Got any tips for making expressing easier and/or more enjoyable? Do something you enjoy while expressing and try to make it a break/relax. Get bub comfortable (if not sleeping, mine doesn't sleep much :)). Have a bottle handy.