Exclusive Expressing Support

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Re: Exclusive Expressing Support

Postby A+D » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi Emma, congratulations on the birth of your bub, and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have really had a rough start to breastfeeding, I imagine you are exhausted at the moment. In terms of exclusively expressing, it is hard, but once you get into a good routine, it does get easier. Have you got good support from partner/family? Having their emotional and practical support also makes it a lot more doable. I've lasted a few months of exclusively expressing a couple of times, as you've probably seen on here some people have kept it up for years. It really depends on how you feel and how it will work for your family. Calling the helpline and talking through possibilities and practicalities specific to you might be helpful, or maybe getting an opinion from one more LC, if you can bear some more opinions! I find talking everything through with someone outside the family can help you see things more clearly. Best of luck, hope you can find a good solution.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Postby Emma_R » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi A + D

Thanks for your reply. I have an incredibly supportive husband, I honestly don't know if I could have made it this far without him. I went to a community care centre today for the day so they could observe me feeding and see if they could offer any advice and they have now referred me to a speech therapist as he is struggling with bringing his tongue forward to draw the nipple back far enough into his mouth. It is good to know that if it comes down to it and this doesn't work out that I can give exclusive expressing a go after reading so many stories of amazing women that have done it so successfully xx

Postby mrslane » Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 am

hay, so I'm a new mummy and i just have a few questions I've been curious about. Im happy for any feed back :). so i have a 3 month old and i breast feed for about 4 weeks i had a terrible time with it as my little one didn't latch properly and it would take me nearly an hour every time to feed him. i also found he never seemed full when breast feeding. so i decided to start expressing his milk and see how that went. so i exclusively expressed every 3 hours for a month i found i still couldn't keep up with supply :( i could only express about 400mls a day and ethan seem to want more than that (he's a hungry little one). i found i had to start comping with formula. before i did that however i tried milk tea, fenugreek tablets the breast milk biscuits etc i found they helped for a couple of days and then my milk would deplete again. i tried cluster expressing and still i couldn't get my milk supple up. i am now only expressing 300mls a day i pump every 3 hours except for at night. ethan has 6 bottles a day at 150mls. so 2 breast milk 4 formula. i would really love him to just have breast milk. so my questions are. also if this is the wrong feed let me know as I'm new to this :)
how long do you pump for?
any tips on increasing supple e.g. holding baby while pumping etc?
do you massage your breast while pumping to stimulate milk flow?
which pump do you use?

Postby bambiandbaby » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:44 pm

I would like to express exclusively for as long as I can when my baby is born. I have decided to hire the double Medela symphony and buy the kit. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the following:

-How many medela bottles will I need to buy? Keeping in mind some will be in fridge, some in the sterilizer, some sterilized ready for express...

- What size do I need? the kit comes with 2 150ml bottles....do I poor this into smaller sterilized bottles?

- Do I need to buy the same brand sterilizer?

- What else do I need to buy? teats.... nipple shields?

-Can I use an brand bottle warmers to heat milk?

Many thanks ;-)

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk