What's the best/easy eXpress device to use?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
Stay_home_Mum

What's the best/easy eXpress device to use?

Post by Stay_home_Mum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:25 pm

I bought a manual brandname removed - mod pump for $90. It was recommended to be by the sales person as the best most popular on the market, however I find it tiring hand pumping just to get a couple of mills.
I'm thinking of buying a new one but dont want to buy a dud. What is the best one/easy to use etc.

Nedsmum

Re: What's the best/easy eXpress device to use?

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:57 pm

It really depends on how much milk you want to express and for what purpose ?

I pretty much hand-expressed for what I needed - I had a bit of a stash in the freezer for emergencies, especially as I had to have surgery a few months after the birth of my second child and wanted to feel that I had a back up plan (we never used it, I was able to breastfeed in the hospital 2 hours after surgery)...

If you need to express regularly and large amounts, then have a search here on the forum for 'hands free expressing' - there are lots of tips and tricks and it will give you some idea of the types of pumps people use and how they use them....

If it's an emergency situation where you need to pump for a premmie baby, sick baby or because you will be away from your baby for long periods of time, then you can contact your local ABA group and they can possibly arrange for you to get a pump hire (it's a lot cheaper if you are a member) and not only that, you get the support of a trained volunteer who can talk you through the process and give back-up support if you have any problems... :-D
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:07 pm

I've just removed the brandname of the pump as we don't discuss specific brands here to try to keep things fairly generic. With pumps this can be a bit frustrating sometimes, but people can pm you with brands they've found worked well in their circumstance.
In addition to Nedsmum's suggestions, the ones you can get at department stores aren't always great, and it does tend to be a bit of a you pay for what you get. That said, the amount you spent on yours is around the same price as the other ones I know of which get good reviews, so might be ok?
This link gives you an idea of different pumps for different uses https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... p-best-you The other thing to keep in mind is that all mums are different - some mums find a manual pump is the best for them and far out performs a double electric pump. Most mums however, find that a single electric pump tends to work really well and balances efficiency with cost. Generally I think these tend to run around the $250 mark (but it's been a while since I've actively looked at pumps, baby carriers on the other hand :lol:)
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

wilfred

Post by wilfred » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:36 pm

I've just sent you a pm.
Me: 38
DH: 38
DS1: 11.5 bf for 6 weeks
DD1: 8.5 bf for 13 weeks
DS2: 6.5 bf for 26 months
DD2: 4 bf for 3 yrs and 2 weeks