Milk colour / composition

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Milk colour / composition

Postby Jenbt85 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:54 pm

DD is 20 weeks old now and I occasionally express. We had a good night with only one wake up last night and I woke up this morning pretty full. I am hopeless at expressing, so I only try if I'm super full.

A few months ago when I did this, there was loads of fat in the milk. Today the milk was blue/white and barely any fat floating on the surface. Sooo... I started wondering is this colour and reduced fat normal for this age or is it just representative of that particular expressing session?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Re: Milk colour / composition

Postby Mummy woo! » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:55 am

I'd say probably just that particular expressing session. If you were very full it makes sense that you would have more of both lighter and fattier milk, and more of the lighter milk to express before you get to the fattier milk.

Composition changes for older babies as they take less and less milk - the milk becomes more nutritionally dense. But that is a way off for your little one!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Jenbt85 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:51 pm

So I guess it's worth expressing more regularly at times when I am not full to try and get a more fatty milk? I don't really go out alone, but would like to leave milk for when I do and I'm guessing foremilk isn't very filling.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby Nedsmum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:20 pm

I really don't think it makes a huge difference for just one or two skipped/expressed feeds.... my children could go 4-5 hours when left with grandma without demanding to be fed, but would normally feed 2-3 hourly with me... they had such a strong association of mum=milk that they didn't demand...and if grandma did give them some milk, they would only take a small amount....the good side of this was that it was easy to then clear my breasts when I got back - I had a lot of problems with oversupply/blocked ducts so going too long between feeds was bad for me as well (going to a wedding, leaving the baby, expressing minimally then ending up with mastitis the next day was not really fun!)....
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk