Adapting to new pump

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Adapting to new pump

Postby Me&co » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi,
I have been having some supply issues and poor weight gain with my daughter and so am expressing regularly after feeds to build up my supply and to top her up. I bought a second hand Spectra S2 yesterday and the volumes I am expressing have decreased dramatically. I was previously using a medela swing and would get between 30-70 mild/expression. Now double pumping with the spectra I am only getting 15-30mls total. The majority of that volume was from my left breast only. Does it take time for the body to 'get used to' a new breast pump? Or should I just go back to the medela which I know works but takes such a long time?
Does anyone else use the spectra and do you have any tips to increase my yield?
Me&co

Re: Adapting to new pump

Postby MamaMagoO? » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:34 am

I haven't had personal experience with this issue but it makes sense to me that it could take your body a little while to get used to a new pump. So much of what happens when you are pumping is psychological. Your body has been conditioned to respond to a particular pump now this one is a bit different. The trick with expressing is being able to trigger a let-down. Does your pump have a let-down mode that you use at the beginning to get things going? Is that what has changed between the 2 pumps?
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.
MamaMagoO?

Re: Adapting to new pump

Postby JMc » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:18 am

Are you sure the new pump is working well? Might be a suction issue or something.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)
JMc

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk