Adapting to new pump

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
Me&co

Adapting to new pump

Post by Me&co » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi,
I have been having some supply issues and poor weight gain with my daughter and so am expressing regularly after feeds to build up my supply and to top her up. I bought a second hand Spectra S2 yesterday and the volumes I am expressing have decreased dramatically. I was previously using a medela swing and would get between 30-70 mild/expression. Now double pumping with the spectra I am only getting 15-30mls total. The majority of that volume was from my left breast only. Does it take time for the body to 'get used to' a new breast pump? Or should I just go back to the medela which I know works but takes such a long time?
Does anyone else use the spectra and do you have any tips to increase my yield?

MamaMagoO?

Re: Adapting to new pump

Post by MamaMagoO? » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:34 am

I haven't had personal experience with this issue but it makes sense to me that it could take your body a little while to get used to a new pump. So much of what happens when you are pumping is psychological. Your body has been conditioned to respond to a particular pump now this one is a bit different. The trick with expressing is being able to trigger a let-down. Does your pump have a let-down mode that you use at the beginning to get things going? Is that what has changed between the 2 pumps?
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

JMc

Re: Adapting to new pump

Post by JMc » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:18 am

Are you sure the new pump is working well? Might be a suction issue or something.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)