Exclusively expressing - how much milk for 5 month old?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
courtney226

Exclusively expressing - how much milk for 5 month old?

Post by courtney226 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:32 am

Hi all
Just trying to gather info on how much milk a 4-5 month old should be having. I'm not sure if we are offering her too much as she's now in the 95 per centile for weight.... the nurse said the weight isn't an issue but i want to check I'm not offering her too much milk. I've checked this website and others and can't seem to find a guide, if anyone can point me in the right direction or provide advice on what they do/did that would be great :-)
She has about 5 feeds a day, sometimes 5.5-6 if she wakes in the night for a feed.
1 to 1.5 feeds is usually formula and we have been 'mixed feeding' for the last month or so.
She has about 200 mls expressed breast milk per feed, or if it's formula, about 180-200.
The last week or so she's been finishing her 200mls feed more often and not sleeping more than 1 sleep cycle at a time (during day only) so I'm going to try her on some solids later this week too.
Thanks in advance for any tips! :-)

Yankee

Re: Exclusively expressing - how much milk for 5 month old?

Post by Yankee » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:42 am

Hi there, it's very common for mothers to wonder if their babies are getting 'enough' or 'too much'. But as long as you're following your baby's hunger cues (feeding on demand, stopping when baby isn't interested) you can't really feed a baby too much. Percentile scales are a general guideline to be used in conjunction with other indicators - after all, someone has to be at the top and bottom of the scale!

There's a good article here about pacing bottle feeds, which helps the baby decide how much or little to drink.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... expressing

Cheers!
DD born September 2013

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Courtney

When I exclusively expressed for DS2 he drank the same amount of milk each day (on average) from 3 months to 12 months. That was 800ml. I kept him to 120 - 160ml per feed over that time. I did paced bottle feeding which you can find here: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... stfed-baby to slow down his drinking, I also demand fed him, which worked quite well. The info Yankee has pointed out to you is great, also there is a thread here about exclusive expressing which you may find helpful to read.
Jenny

courtney226

Post by courtney226 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:40 am

thanks very much ladies! We used to pace a fair bit but have slacked off now she's bigger so we will slow her down. We were also following more of a time schedule/routine but I will just wait till she starts showing hunger signs after 4 hours or so.
thanks!