Mixing EBM

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Mixing EBM

Postby mic2015 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:05 am

Hi there,

I have been expressing and freezing small amounts of EBM over the past 2 months. I usually express about 20 -50 ml, pop it in the fridge and then the next day express another small amount, mix the two together and put straight in the freezer. However, I have just read that before mixing, the fresh milk should be cooled first and then mixed with the already refrigerated milk once they are at the same temperature - I hadn't been doing this and had poured my fresh milk straight into the bag of cold milk from the day before and then put straight into the freezer, should I throw this away now as I have mixed the two incorrectly? I haven't given any to my baby yet, I was just starting to make a small stash of milk for emergency situations if I am away from him.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Mixing EBM

Postby mummymanda » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:15 am

I am no expert but I have done what you have done with no ill effects. Someone with more knowledge should give better info

Re: Mixing EBM

Postby courtney226 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:24 am

hi there, I've been exclusively expressing for 4 months and have done what you do the whole time too. Have you felt the temp of fresh milk straight from the breast? It's really not that warm (well mine's not anway!) so it's not like it's putting hot milk into cold milk, which sounds like what the advice was alluding to...?
I'm also no expert but this is just what's worked for me :-)

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk