How did you build up your milk stash?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

How did you build up your milk stash?

Postby Nicwwjd » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:53 pm

DD is 10 months, and today, for the first time accepted and drank a bottle of EBM! It was only 60ml, as I wasn't convinced she would drink it, as on previous occasions 100ml+ had to be tipped down the sink :(

So, I'd like to build up a stash for when I return to work/ need to go out for longer periods... When/ how did you fit in expressing sessions?

She feeds on waking I the morning, at lunchtime (12 ish), at 3/4pm, bedtime (6:30pm) and then 10:30/11pm (and occasionally overnight -yay for a longer stretch finally).

I'm not sure when to fit an expressing time in? Would I likely get more after morning feed? She takes one full and one half boob each feed, except bed time when she takes both.

I'd love some ideas! Thanks ladies!
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014
Nicwwjd

Re: How did you build up your milk stash?

Postby mummymanda » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:02 pm

Following with interest I need to build up a stash too as I have a few functions to go to etc. Currently lucky to express 50ml. I used to make a great cow :lol: I did however find that my supply increases after we dtd funny because DH is not allowed to touch my boobs.
mummymanda

Postby Yankee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:10 am

I reckon what's best is whatever works for you! Generally boobs make a bit more milk in the morning, so if you're going for efficiency than you might get a bit more bang for your buck in the morning. Personally I found I got more traction if I waited a bit after a feed before expressing. But really, if you're busy then do it whenever you have a spare 15 minutes.

I found by that stage I didn't get very much 'extra' milk so it took me a while to build up a stash. The boobs really settle into their routine by that point.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby JennyD » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:35 am

I've never actually expressed to build up a stash. However, 50ml per session is great, you can combine the amounts, although I would store them separately to give flexibility. Here is a blog post by an ABA counsellor that explains it. This post used to be on the information section of our website, but is considered a bit out of date now. Still the information in it is great :) But it isn't official ABA info. http://yvettesramblings.blogspot.com.au ... g-and.html
JennyD
Counsellor

Postby Parla. » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 pm

If you can get all the hands and arms in the right place, I found expressing the other side during a breastfeed the most efficient way to express at home. I did this when my DD was around 18 months and did something a bit like the football hold, but because she was big she was effectively sitting next to me and leaning in, and then I had the whole other side of my body free.

And depends how you feel about this, and how it works with your normal routine and your body's needs, but from around 12 months I never left any milk or expressed when I was away. Once they've also been having food and other drinks for a while, leaving breast milk as well is not as crucial as it it for a little exclusively breast-fed baby, so even if you're only leaving smallish amounts they're ok.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)
Parla.
Counsellor

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Yes to pumping one side while feeding the other. I used to feed on one side overnight and then express the other side in the morning. Use your judgement about not letting your breasts get engorged or overfull. After pumping I would let baby feed - the pump never gets all the milk the baby can get.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Nicwwjd » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 pm

Thankyou all!

I giggled at the thought of expressing whilst feeding.... It's hard enough keeping her feeding in her room when it is quiet!! Lol hats off to you ladies who could do both at once!! I'm impressed!

I will try for morning sessions to express when I can if I'm more Likely to get most then. Yankee- that's what my gut feeling is about me- my boobs have this volume and frequency all down pat... Not sure how much extra they'd be making these days! ;)

And Parla- that's s really good point! I suspect if she didn't see me then she wouldn't realise she'd missed a feed.... Until she saw me and then it would be on for young and old!! Lol!

Thanks again ladies :)
DS Feb 2012
DD Sept 2014
Nicwwjd

Postby Jenbt85 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:Yes to pumping one side while feeding the other. I used to feed on one side overnight and then express the other side in the morning. Use your judgement about not letting your breasts get engorged or overfull. After pumping I would let baby feed - the pump never gets all the milk the baby can get.

MW, I wanted to say thanks for this post! I usually really struggle to express and I'm going out on Saturday for a few hours so need to leave a stash. I took some fenugreek yesterday and between that and DD sleeping well last night, I woke up with one side like a balloon (I fed off the same side for both wakeups) and expressed 150mls!! Planning on doing the same tonight so that DH has loads of milk for when I'm out.

I'm going to get him to warm 60mls at a time to minimise wastage - is that roughly a feed for an almost 7 week old?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk