Defrosting EBM

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Defrosting EBM

Postby Penguin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:33 pm

I should probaly know this but...

If I need to defrost milk (frozen in bottles) for C to drink on Thursday, when should I move them into the fridge - Wed morning?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Re: Defrosting EBM

Postby Mummy woo! » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Depends on the amount of milk in the bottles. I used to move mine to the fridge the night before - if they were still a bit icy in the morning that was sorted out when the bottle was warmed for consumption.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Penguin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:49 pm

120mL. Wide necked bottles so low SA:V ratio. One bottle I will need to transfer to another bottle as I don't have matching teats.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Gwen's Mum » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:42 pm

If I take a 120ml bottle of frozen EBM out on, say, Monday night at 9pm, it'll be partly (maybe 50% at most?) defrosted by Tuesday morning at 9am. So it can take a while - the bagged stuff would be completely defrosted overnight in the fridge, as a comparison. Different fridges would probably affect things, too.

If I'm in a hurry to use / transfer the still-frozen bottle milk, I usually put the already defrosted milk in one container (it'll be right for 24 hours from when it defrosted, so at least until the end of the Tuesday in the above example), then stick the rest in warm/hot water to defrost it quickly, then pop it in a different container for use first (as technically if you've 'warmed' or 'defrosted in warm water' you're meant to use the milk within about 4 hours - although I admit we play a bit fast and loose with the exact guidelines sometimes... :oops:).

Not sure if that: a) answers your question; or b) makes any sense whatsoever. :wink:
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk