Double pumping discreetly

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.
Penguin

Double pumping discreetly

Post by Penguin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:17 pm

Any hints on double pumping discreetly? I can single pump quite happily while out or while having a conversation with someone. I've worked out how to double pump one-handed (once everything's set up) but any hints on how to do it while possibly maintaining a reasonable amount of modesty and professionalism? It's one thing to sit on the couch with my pj shirt totally unbuttoned and no bra , but i hardly want to have a face to face conversation with anyone who isn't my husband like this.

Some sort of a cover? or would cover+ pump noise be totally ridiculous?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

JennyD
Counsellor

Re: Double pumping discreetly

Post by JennyD » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:32 am

I used to hang a shawl over me, sometimes a sarong, or beach towel. Anything really. I actually had a little clip thing that held it in place, like the one the dentist uses for the bib that you wear at the dentist :) I also had a hands free device that went around my neck, so that once I was set up I had two hands free. That said, I rarely did it in public, but I often set myself up like that in the car while travelling (DH driving) so that truckies didn't get an eye full :) I pumped like that at ABA conferences, but they wouldn't have minded how I did it :)

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:47 am

You can buy bras that are designed to put the flanges in so that you can pump hands free, but I've heard that it's as effective and cheaper) to make your own from a sports bra. Would that be an option with a cardie or shawl over the top (if you need to cover up that is)?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:04 am

JennyD wrote: I also had a hands free device that went around my neck, so that once I was set up I had two hands free.
I have that one (like, that actual one that you sent me) but I can't work it out! I can't get it to stay, the flanges just come off. How does it apply pressure?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:05 am

Jenbt85 wrote:You can buy bras that are designed to put the flanges in so that you can pump hands free, but I've heard that it's as effective and cheaper) to make your own from a sports bra. Would that be an option with a cardie or shawl over the top (if you need to cover up that is)?
I thought about buying or modifying one, but I think that will mean I'll have to get changed which will be problematic.

I'm going to see if I can manage with a thin wide scarf or something (like a pashmina type thing). Might have to have a few practise goes at home.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Esther

Post by Esther » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:08 am

Tight singlet top worn underneath clothes with holes in appropriate spots?
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:14 am

I have done it with feeding singlet and a flowy top (same as what I breastfeed in) which means I have an inbuilt shawl-like thing.

Do you think double pumping is really noisier/more confronting for others than single pumping?

I've also pumped at an ABA meeting, sitting on the floor next to the powerpoint, and was surrounded by a wall of curious toddlers.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Penguin wrote:
JennyD wrote: I also had a hands free device that went around my neck, so that once I was set up I had two hands free.
I have that one (like, that actual one that you sent me) but I can't work it out! I can't get it to stay, the flanges just come off. How does it apply pressure?
You have to hold them in place until the suction starts, Also I seem to recall lifting my bra up to hold the bottom of the flange in place :)

PS I've sent you a PM

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Double pumping strikes me as being similar to twin feeding - something that is impossible to do discreetly! Good luck!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:14 pm

Parla. wrote:I have done it with feeding singlet and a flowy top (same as what I breastfeed in) which means I have an inbuilt shawl-like thing.

Do you think double pumping is really noisier/more confronting for others than single pumping?

I've also pumped at an ABA meeting, sitting on the floor next to the powerpoint, and was surrounded by a wall of curious toddlers.

IMO single pumping is less visually obvious, similar to feeding. Noise is the same, but I wonder if single pumping is less visually BOOBS! BOOBS! BOOBS!, plus less complicate with spare hands etc.

Perhaps I need to practice at a cafe or something first. Hmm, even I'm not up to that I think.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:13 pm

I used to use hair elastic so over the flanges and then hooked on my bra to hold things in place, and then a little pressure from the desk/table edge to keep things in place when I was double pumping at work. There was no discreet about it!

How discreet do you need to be - are you doing this at an ABA event or at parent-teacher night?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:21 pm

And back up a bit - how much of this is something you actually need to work out and how much is hypothetical?

The main purpose of double pumping for your purposes is probably speed, which means if you have to head off somewhere secluded it won't take so much time - great!

If you want to pump in front of your colleagues or wherever, perhaps time is less of an issue because you're multitasking anyway, in which case maybe you could stick with single pumping for those occasions?
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Parla. wrote:And back up a bit - how much of this is something you actually need to work out and how much is hypothetical?

The main purpose of double pumping for your purposes is probably speed, which means if you have to head off somewhere secluded it won't take so much time - great!

If you want to pump in front of your colleagues or wherever, perhaps time is less of an issue because you're multitasking anyway, in which case maybe you could stick with single pumping for those occasions?
I'm thinking that that might be the way to do it - double pump quickly while shut away, or if I'm meeting at the same time then single pump.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013