When to change teat sizes for breastmilk?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

When to change teat sizes for breastmilk?

Postby courtney226 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi all
I am exlusively expressing for my 3 month old and I still have her on the slow flow bottle teats (the brandname 1 teats). I was told formula babies need to go up the teat sizes as recommended because the formula amount they drink is more, but breastmilk fed babies from bottles should stay the same teat size....? I'm not really sure if this is general advice or one person's opinion. Any help would be great! thanks :-)
courtney226

Re: When to change teat sizes for breastmilk?

Postby JennyD » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:28 pm

I kept using the same size for the entire time I bottle fed DS2. Basically this is because he got faster at feeding anyway, because he was bigger and stronger. Also a breastfed baby basically drinks the same amount each day from 6 weeks on, so no need to increase the amount in the bottle and no need to make the feeding faster. The recommendations for formula feeding read like they are encouraging mums to feed bub more milk, more quickly, less often.
JennyD
Counsellor

Postby Penguin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:01 am

We always stayed on the newborn teats, I think that's general recommendation for bottles and breast to help avoid a bottle preference.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby A+D » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:45 pm

Yep, I also stayed with the first size teats for my babies getting EBM, and never actually went up when they switched to formula later on. I guess if you are finding problems with it though, try the next size? One of those watch and read the baby kind of things?
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013
A+D

Postby courtney226 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:16 pm

thanks all! That's good to know. I changed to the next teat to try it out and it doesn't make her windier or anything so at the moment I'm just using that for the feeds when she wakes at night and see how it goes. thanks!
courtney226

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk