Breastfeeding one side and expressing the other?

Share you hints and tips for expressing and storing breastmilk. Whether expressing just occasionally or exclusively, share and support one another here.

Breastfeeding one side and expressing the other?

Postby AshleePaige » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:58 am

Help! I need some information.
I have a 10 day old and I'm currently breastfeeding.
She is my second child, and I breastfed for 4 months with my first.
My question is... is it possible to feed on 1 side and exclusively pump the other? I have one side that the nipple is quite flat, therefore it makes it quite hard to get a correct latch. I don't want to use shields, as I tried that with my first born, and it wasn't too successful.
I am in extreme pain and have a very blistered and bleeding nipple from it.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thank you in advance.

Ash
AshleePaige

Re: Breastfeeding one side and expressing the other?

Postby Nedsmum » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:03 am

I think so, but feeding the milk back to the baby is another dimension to feeding, which requires the baby to also learn to bottle and breastfeed (which are two different skills for the baby)...

Personally, with my third child (having breastfed two previous children for 2+ years) my left breast gave me worse and worse problems, so I ended up breastfeeding 3/4 of the time from the right breast, and only 1/4 of the time from the left. It wasn't a big problem overall... I'd consider speaking to the breastfeeding helpline regarding the blisters/nipple damage and how to get that healed up as quickly as possible, but from my own experience, I'd say that it's really possible to feed from just one side, and you may not need to express much from the other side....the breasts might become more uneven in size but once I stopped breastfeeding they went back to normal, and there's not a big difference in shape or size (or even 'droopiness') between the two...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Re: Breastfeeding one side and expressing the other?

Postby Mummy woo! » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Seconding the advice to call the Helpline. As Nedsmum says, it is possible to feed on one side only (and if you think about a mum of twins she is feeding one baby per breast, even if they swap sometimes). It is a little less flexible though, you don't have a back-up if something happens to the side you are feeding mostly from. A counsellor will be able to help you work out what might be causing the preference, some strategies to try to make feeding more comfortable on both sides, and give you some information about expressing or weaning from the difficult breast so that you don't have mastitis to add to your troubles.

Good luck with everything - with the right support most of these early challenges can be resolved, and the helpline is really very good (I would say that, wouldn't I?)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Return to Expressing and storing breastmilk