the 'other' boob

Share your positive, funny or just plain lovely breastfeeding moments and experiences here.
kingofthedivan

the 'other' boob

Post by kingofthedivan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:35 pm

So, feeding to sleep as per normal, but 12mo DD has got it into her head that she'd prefer to be on the sitting upright side of a front cradle hold, swapping between both boobs every 10 seconds, and then falling asleep attached to the boob rather furthest from where she is sitting, so to speak. And I don't have terribly big boobs, so I'm sitting up in bed with my shoulders raised awkwardly like a zombie, until she's properly asleep and can be nudged off!

Does anyone else's babies display similar odd behaviour?! Or do you find yourself in the darndest contortions?

Penguin

Re: the 'other' boob

Post by Penguin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:02 pm

DD insisted on feeding from the top breast when lying down for ages. Even to the extent that she would swap sides to feed from the other top breast. Eventually I got the shits with it and refused to keep swapping or feed from the top. I still have no idea why the top breast was more appealing than the bottom.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:44 pm

Penguin wrote:DD insisted on feeding from the top breast when lying down for ages. Even to the extent that she would swap sides to feed from the other top breast. Eventually I got the shits with it and refused to keep swapping or feed from the top. I still have no idea why the top breast was more appealing than the bottom.
Higher therefore gravity is stronger meaning faster flow? (I'm joking.)
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:45 am

I think it is pretty common for babies to start mucking around at the breast at this age - both mine did it. Some babies respond to 'no' and gentle guidance to lie quietly, stop kicking, this breast, whatever is bugging mum.

it is a good opportunity for them to start learning about manners and respecting other people's bodies because most babies are motivated by the milk more than many other things!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either