groups without breast pumps?

Private Breastfeeding Advocacy discussion area.
The Advocacy topic is for forum members to discuss issues relating to
Breastfeeding Advocacy, such as purpose, strategy, techniques, etc.
Constructive debate is encouraged, but arguments about the relative merits
of Breastmilk and ABM or breastfeeding and bottlefeeding will not be
tolerated. The Australian Breastfeeding Association strives to educate the
community about the importance of human milk and support all mothers in
their feeding choices.

nilmerg

groups without breast pumps?

Post by nilmerg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Is there anyway of finding out if any groups (particularly in the Southern NSW/ACT region) are without a breast pump?

Our group won the $15,000 coles/myer shopping spree from the ABA raffle and one idea that has been put forward is to provide pumps to a few groups who don't have them. I found out that the best pump we can get from the cole/myer group is the Medela pump in style advanced, which although it's not a top of the range hospital pump, it would be better than nothing.

Do you think a post on the main forum would be the way to go - or a letter/article in essence asking for applications? All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Probably contact the regional reps and branch president? We are in ACT/ Sth NSW - pumps are hired by a central person in canberra, the various groups who have them closest to the mums are called when needed and arrange the hiring / counselling that goes along with the pump. Our group has several I understand, brings our group good money!!

Congrats on winning as a group! Our GL said a group had won.

Andrew's Mum
Site Admin

Post by Andrew's Mum » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Or I could post it on Abachat for you?? That way we could definitely get it on to any regional people???

nilmerg

Post by nilmerg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Thanks for your replies. The Wagga GL has given us the contact details of the co-ordinator in Canberra, sounds like the best place to start. I hope that we can benefit other groups as well as our own with this win.

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:21 am

Hi Nilmerg

What a great idea. Sadly though the Pump in Style is a personal use breast pump and as such the Association is not allowed to hire it out. Because it is sold as personal use, that is all it is officially allowed to be used for. I looked into it last year for my local group who don't have a pump and could have afforded one, but not a Symphony.

JennyD

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:57 pm

hi nilmerg,
I just saw Melissa and clued her in on your upcoming call! She's excited - there are some groups with no pumps. She also said lots are asking for the symphony (mums) as that is what a lot of hospies use, though they are expensive apparently.

Ah the people you see at kids parties! We were at separate parties at the same venue. Actually, I see Melissa everywhere! Last time was just after my MW appointment at a school!

She has a few ideas too.

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:17 pm

We don't have a pump but we're up in Nth Qld so there are probably groups closer to your area (at least in the same state LOL) that need them.
What a great idea!!!
Me:-31
DH:- 32
Finally married after 12yrs together!!!
David:- 8 (breastfed 23mths)
Rylee:-5 (breastfed 3yrs 3mths)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."-Mohandas Gandhi

Andrew's Mum
Site Admin

Post by Andrew's Mum » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:56 pm

we got ours through a gambling grant, Anna. If I can find the paperwork from it, I'm happy to share our application. We also got a library grant last year from the gambling grant too- so they seem fairly willing to donate.....

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Oh yes please. Unfortunately until now we haven't had the 'volunteers' to do some of the leg work and quite frankly I was already stretched to the limit. Now that I have lovely group helpers AND a possible CE trainee I will be able to find some time to do grants. It would certainly be easier if I had something to go by being a grant writing virgin LOL
Me:-31
DH:- 32
Finally married after 12yrs together!!!
David:- 8 (breastfed 23mths)
Rylee:-5 (breastfed 3yrs 3mths)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."-Mohandas Gandhi