Letter to my stoopid doctor

Private Breastfeeding Advocacy discussion area.
The Advocacy topic is for forum members to discuss issues relating to
Breastfeeding Advocacy, such as purpose, strategy, techniques, etc.
Constructive debate is encouraged, but arguments about the relative merits
of Breastmilk and ABM or breastfeeding and bottlefeeding will not be
tolerated. The Australian Breastfeeding Association strives to educate the
community about the importance of human milk and support all mothers in
their feeding choices.

elvencreature

Letter to my stoopid doctor

Post by elvencreature » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Ok, so he wasn't exactly stoopid.... but he definitely had no idea about breastfeeding!

Can I please have opinions on this letter? I've tried for a compliment sandwich, so hopefully it won't get off on the wrong foot...

Dear Dr ****,

I recently bought my daughter to visit you as she was suffering from a cough and fever. I want to thank you for your treatment, she is not usually fond of doctors, and you did a great job and she is feeling much better! I also wanted to thank you for your support of me breastfeeding my toddler in your office, as it is an important source of comfort for her when she is unwell.
I was however, concerned when you said that by breastfeeding my 23 month old toddler I was going “above and beyond”. I realised after I left your office that perhaps you were not aware that the current recommendations for breastfeeding are for 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding, with continued breastfeeding for two years and beyond. This recommendation can be found on the world health organisation website here http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/inf ... dation/en/ and is supported by the Australian Breastfeeding Association, as you can read here http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/aboutaba/purpose.html .

I would like to thank you again for your help and support. I would also like to suggest that as you have an environment that is supportive and welcoming of breastfeeding, you may like to register as a breastfeeding welcome here venue on the Australian Breastfeeding Association website here http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/advocacy/welcome.html .

Thanks again,
Jess
Any suggestions?

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!

Marg
Community Educator

Post by Marg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Jess,

I love your letter! The only comment I'd make is that the National Health and Medical Research Council also recommends exclusive breastfeeding for at least 6 months - your doctor may be more inclined to believe the Australian body than the ABA which as we all know is a bunch of crazies :lol: and the WHO which apparently only applies to developing countries :roll: (Why the bloody hell it's called WORLD I do not know!)

I think you are so much more polite than I am - I usually bark at them on the spot - like the poor young MCHN who asked me if I was "still feeding" my three month old. "What a stupid question! She's less than 6 months old! She's supposed to be exclusively breastfed. You should assume she's being breastfed" and on and on I went - :oops: can i claim sleep deprivation as an excuse.....

Well done!
Mum to Monkey 15 (BF 2y2m), Possum 14 (BF1y2m) & Cupcake 12 (fully weaned at 5 1/2)

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Marg wrote:I think you are so much more polite than I am - I usually bark at them on the spot - like the poor young MCHN who asked me if I was "still feeding" my three month old. "What a stupid question! She's less than 6 months old! She's supposed to be exclusively breastfed. You should assume she's being breastfed" and on and on I went - :oops: can i claim sleep deprivation as an excuse.....

Well done!
:smt044 :smt043 :smt081 :smt046

Anyway...yes apart from including NMHRC in your letter, maybe also look at the AMA recommendations as well as the FSANZ recommendations as well...all these acronyms are sure to :smt107 the docter. :smt081
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Mel P

Re: Letter to my stoopid doctor

Post by Mel P » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:33 am

A minor point
elvencreature wrote:I recently bought my daughter to visit you
needs to read "I recently brought my daughter ... Wouldn't want a little thing like a missing letter detracting from a constructive letter.
Cheers,

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:09 am

great letter - a simple 'tune up'.

I liked the mention of the bf welcome register at the end - you might also add somehow that mums are always on th lookout for bf supportive drs. We've had emails going around this week about that, and are often asking each other 'after meetings' about bf educated dr's around the place... I have found one really good one, but she was a locum, another was good also, the rest are more 'lip service' I would say, with those 'odd' sort of remarks thrown in there...

The best is the chiro I just discovered this week - telling me all about bf, how it works, how milk is stimulated, the importance of much skin contact, a good latch, lots of breast tissue etc - and she doesn't even have kids of her own! She is just fab - the uterine ligament tweaking she is doing on my belly is gold - the webster technique we've been hearing about in the preggo section. I LOVE it.

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:23 am

Thanks everyone :-D

I emailed the letter off to him, so here's hoping I get a response... but I won't hold my breath!

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!