Brisbane's Child Magazine

Private Breastfeeding Advocacy discussion area.
The Advocacy topic is for forum members to discuss issues relating to
Breastfeeding Advocacy, such as purpose, strategy, techniques, etc.
Constructive debate is encouraged, but arguments about the relative merits
of Breastmilk and ABM or breastfeeding and bottlefeeding will not be
tolerated. The Australian Breastfeeding Association strives to educate the
community about the importance of human milk and support all mothers in
their feeding choices.

Andrew's Mum
Site Admin

Brisbane's Child Magazine

Post by Andrew's Mum » Fri May 09, 2008 8:47 pm

Did anyone see the Brand ad in the magazine this month. I'm thinking that it is a massive MAIF breach as it advertises all their ABMs not just those for those over 12 months old.

Entitled Getting Off to the Best Start- it has a blurb under it that is almost identical to that on the (arrgh can't remember the name of that site must have forgotten in my disgust, the one that is meant to be some nutritional coalition) including the stuff about ensuring mum has a balanced diet while she is breastfeeding (ie let's make the whole thing sound too hard).

The ad even has a picture of a baby wearing a bib that says, "my mummy got the right formula".

OK so I'm off to get a form to fill out. Can anyone join me???

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Fri May 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I haven't seen the magazine in question, but I tell you, I have my fork out ready to stab someone just from reading your post...

greenie

Post by greenie » Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 pm

Saw it, complaint is already in the post :evil:

It's despicable, and is a clear breach of about 4 of the sections of the MAIF agreement, not to mention how many ways it breaches the WHO code.

It's on page 24 of the May 2008 issue if anyone's looking for it.
So long everyone! Thanks for everything :-D

laetificus_letificus

Post by laetificus_letificus » Fri May 09, 2008 10:04 pm

cAt - DB is huge!! Look at him! Not a baby anymore!
Children are not the people of tomorrow, but people today. J Korczak

Andrew's Mum
Site Admin

Post by Andrew's Mum » Fri May 09, 2008 10:20 pm

Greenie,

I have identified clause 5a but they have been very careful about doing the first clause to the very letter (how did they get that rubbish in there abou the importance of maternal nutrition???)

What other clauses did you believe it breached?

cAtdraco

Post by cAtdraco » Fri May 09, 2008 10:50 pm

laetificus_letificus wrote:cAt - DB is huge!! Look at him! Not a baby anymore!
I know, he's a real little boy. I feel like he's a toddler now, not a baby any more. I've just about stopped calling him "the baby" at home, and just call him "the small boy" :) because 'baby" just doesn't sound right.

*snif*

Castor83

Post by Castor83 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:35 am

I saw the same advertisement in Sydney's child as well the other week.. made me mad.. especially that bloody bib!

and I agree, he's HUGE cAt!! :D
Ang.
DD (Jan 2007) - proudly breastfed to 2yrs 8mnth
DS (Nov 2012) currently breastfed
storked by the lovely Mamahen

greenie

Post by greenie » Sat May 10, 2008 9:08 am

Andrew's Mum wrote:Greenie,

I have identified clause 5a but they have been very careful about doing the first clause to the very letter (how did they get that rubbish in there abou the importance of maternal nutrition???)

What other clauses did you believe it breached?
I thought they had also breached:

Section 4(b): ...Such materials should not use any pictures or text which may idealise the use of infant formulas.

The "materials" the MAIF is referring here is the disclaimer bit at the bottom about maternal nutrition, superiority of breastmilk, etc that they're required by the MAIF agreement to include. In this ad this information was directly below the picture of the smiling, healthy-looking baby with the "My mum chose the right formula" bib.

Section 5(d): Marketing personnel, in their business capacity, should not seek direct or indirect contact with pregnant women or with parents of infants and young children.

The offer of a free information booklet if you hand over your details via website or phone is this company seeking direct contact with pregnant women or parents of infants and young children.

Section 10(a): Independently of any other measures taken to implement their obligations under this document, each manufacturer and importer of infant formulas should regard itself as responsible for monitoring its marketing practices according to the principles and aim of this document, and for taking steps to ensure that its conduct at every level conforms to those principles and aims.

The fact that this company included all that big disclaimer at the bottom about maternal nutrition, etc, means they're aware of the contents of the MAIF agreement. Everything they've written in that disclaimer is no more or less than what they're required to do by section 4(a) of the MAIF agreement. So, it abides by section 4(a) but not 5(a), which is arguably the more important of the two??

They can't claim ignorance. This company has a clear and repeated disdain for the MAIF agreement and WHO code and their aims.
So long everyone! Thanks for everything :-D

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Sat May 10, 2008 11:53 am

Oh I wish I got this magazine just so I can complain about it. I'm sooo angry that they have gotten away with this. And if after the complaints pour in APMAIF doesn't do something about it I think that would show clear evidence that they are not doing there job!
Are you guys writing a letter to the editor of the magazine as well? Perhaps they need to be told what they are doing is wrong.
Me:-31
DH:- 32
Finally married after 12yrs together!!!
David:- 8 (breastfed 23mths)
Rylee:-5 (breastfed 3yrs 3mths)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."-Mohandas Gandhi

Castor83

Post by Castor83 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:24 pm

phoenix wrote:Oh I wish I got this magazine just so I can complain about it. I'm sooo angry that they have gotten away with this. And if after the complaints pour in APMAIF doesn't do something about it I think that would show clear evidence that they are not doing there job!
Are you guys writing a letter to the editor of the magazine as well? Perhaps they need to be told what they are doing is wrong.
I hate to say it but the editor probably doesn't care, its purely advertising dollars that they would need to print/run said magazine... :(
Ang.
DD (Jan 2007) - proudly breastfed to 2yrs 8mnth
DS (Nov 2012) currently breastfed
storked by the lovely Mamahen

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Sat May 17, 2008 10:03 am

Is anybody able to scan and email me a copy of this? I need to fill in a MAIF report for my training, and I'd love to do something that won't just get sent back to me saying "outside the scope" :lol:

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!

Giff
Counsellor

Post by Giff » Sun May 18, 2008 12:16 am

It might well be in Melbourne's Child, elvencreature. I'm sure it's part of a national campaign...
DS1 - July 1999 - BF for 15 months
DS2 - January 2003 - BF for 14 months
DD - December 2005 - BF for 4 years

Proudly storking AussieBritLu.

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks Giff, I'll pull out the copy I picked up yesterday, and have a look through!

Giff
Counsellor

Post by Giff » Sun May 18, 2008 10:46 am

Let me know if it is. I don't read Melbourne's Child, but will be happy to make a complaint about the ad. The more the merrier!
DS1 - July 1999 - BF for 15 months
DS2 - January 2003 - BF for 14 months
DD - December 2005 - BF for 4 years

Proudly storking AussieBritLu.

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Sun May 18, 2008 11:59 am

Yup... it is! It's on the glossy full colour page. Thanks for the suggestion Giff :D