Advocacy plan for 08

Private Breastfeeding Advocacy discussion area.
The Advocacy topic is for forum members to discuss issues relating to
Breastfeeding Advocacy, such as purpose, strategy, techniques, etc.
Constructive debate is encouraged, but arguments about the relative merits
of Breastmilk and ABM or breastfeeding and bottlefeeding will not be
tolerated. The Australian Breastfeeding Association strives to educate the
community about the importance of human milk and support all mothers in
their feeding choices.

BabyGumnut

Advocacy plan for 08

Post by BabyGumnut » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:18 pm

Charndra wrote in another thread
Last year we made some 'new years resolutions' about advocacy at this time. I was good at getting some done - but one was to report to apmaif monthly - as I had done easily the year before - but all the -ve vibes put me off
This got me thinking....
Perhaps we could set ourselves some goals and post them here (sticky?) and then review them regularly.

Eg

February:

NicoleM: 1)Watch "Formula for Disaster" DONE 2) Send off letter to APMAIF with at least 3 complaints in it. TBA (to be actioned)

The things you can do can be as varied as you like so long as they come under advocacy. If you like this idea I can add your plans into this 1st post if you want.
Married & mum to DD 9 & DS 7 & DD 2. Got a teether/biter/puller/fiddler? solve it with
this Image click my 'www' to order

orange sunhat

Post by orange sunhat » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi Nicole,

Great idea! My advocacy resolutions are "in person" ones this year rather than writing more letters. I think the letter writing bug has been satisfied in me after last years' efforts :wink:

1. Organise to meet with local Community Nurses to promote our local ABA groups and get bulletins in their different clinics in our area. Specifically to show that we have friendly faces and that we do not fit any of those awful stereotypes or names that sometimes get thrown around and that everyone is welcome at an ABA meeting (eg address the misconception that you have to be bf'ing in order to attend)
2. Ask local MPs (state and federal) in person whether they are aware of the importance of breastfeeding for health and wellbeing of both mother and child, and what their governments are doing about this. I am a member of the political party which these MPs represent so I should be able to bail them up at a meeting or event :wink: If they seem a bit vague I can follow-up with a letter pointing them to the Fed Govt inquiry last year and the list of recommendations.
3. Follow-up with local schools that I sent letters to at the end of last year, to do bf talks for high school students. This is to normalise bfeeding and hopefully when they have kids they will recall that ABA exists in their area and can help.

Hmm just realised that some of these might not be considered advocacy?? what do we define as advocacy??

Cheers,
Lisa
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
- M. Mead

DS Luke 5/2/06
DD Sophie 5/10/07

laetificus_letificus

Post by laetificus_letificus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 pm

hmmm, I'm not sure what I will do... might get some ideas from you guys...
Children are not the people of tomorrow, but people today. J Korczak

Rosie Posie

Post by Rosie Posie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:19 pm

I am doing my BC training this year, so I am trying not to get too busy in other areas.

But something that I am working on at the moment is getting more 'breastfeeding welcome' stickers up in the community. I have got two up so far this year! Both at health care places too. There are not many pram friendly cafes in my area, so I have to look elsewhere.

I am thinking of contacting the Melbourne city council (our group partially covers the area) about getting the libraries to have welcome stickers. Just because the librarian in my local library is really funny about putting things up on the library notice board and she keeps taking breastfeeding information down after it has only been up for a short time.

It a little thing, but I really believe in the promotion of breastfeeding friendly attitudes so that new mums feel comfortable feeding publically.
Mum of two precious children

DS 13/05/05
DD 14/12/07

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:54 pm

I have a huge list of stuff to do for my local group this year. Some of it is tiny such as collecting anyones unwanted essence mags and labeling them with group details and distributing around waiting rooms and libraries. Some of it is larger such as putting together a fundraiser for our group (I was thinking sausage sizzle at the polling booths for our local government elections in March).

I also want to get the local HP's on side so I am starting with a letter just to introduce myself and show what we can offer. They are also going to get a sample of a bag that we can do up for them to give to expectant mothers. It's not so much that they are against us but more that they don't realise what we can do. We are losing yet another Dr in the area. We will be left with 2 Drs at the hospital and 1.5 Drs (one only works 3 days a week) at the medical centre and this is to do 3 small towns plus outlying areas. I see our service as being able to ease some of the pressure because as we know many mums just need that little bit of reassurance that can easily be given over the PH.

Rosie Posie I love the BF welcome here idea for the libraries. I think I might steal that one but offer it to one of the mums in our group to do. Seems like a nice little project that would be perfect for someone. Congrats on doing your training as well. You'll make a lovely counsellor.
Hmm just realised that some of these might not be considered advocacy?? what do we define as advocacy??

Well I define advocacy as anything that raises the awareness of BF as important to babies and children. In that respect anything that promotes our wonderful organisation is certainly advocacy because we are promoting and protecting BF. Well that's what I think anyway.

I'm going to spend 6mths collecting all the WHO code breaches I find and send them into APMAIF in one lot. They took forever to reply to my last letter so I figure send them 2 large ones or if by some miracle there is only a small pile then perhaps just one small one at the end of the year.
Me:-31
DH:- 32
Finally married after 12yrs together!!!
David:- 8 (breastfed 23mths)
Rylee:-5 (breastfed 3yrs 3mths)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."-Mohandas Gandhi

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:08 am

OK, I'm a bit motivated atm. I was reading the breastfeeding inquiry book ( :shock: yes I was!) the other night - a great read - gets me fired up - and thinking about the awesome advocacy food in there for letters...

"in reference to section blah, paragraph xyz it is stated that ..." I hope your department will be about to expedite actions on this recommendation post-haste... LOL

Well, there is great stuff in there.

What I was thinking was that I would look at the recommendations that called out to ME the most - sya three of them, and write a letter to appropriate folks, urging for speedy action.

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:39 am

You Go Girls
The National Managers will meet in Melbourne in February. My job will be to work on the Advocacy part of the Association's strategic plan. This is stuff like, establish relationships with partner organisations, contact MPs, write XX submission and the like.
I'll keep watching this thread until then for inspiration. Etablishing and nurturing good relationships with local Child and Family Health Service providers and maternity units might possibly be the most effective way to improve the landscape for new mothers.
Cheers
Nina
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Dash

Post by Dash » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:57 am

I'm working on the head of health/phys ed. at the local highschool (DH :lol: ) to let me do some babycare/breastfeeding classes when bub arrives. I've already been asked to do some things on child nutrition with DD, which will of course mention full term breastfeeding.

We currently don't have a mother's group in town, just playgroup a couple of times a week. So as soon as we actually have a child health nurse I'm going to talk to them and some other agencies about speakers and information sessions. It's trying to establish an information network on different parenting practices, at the moment everyone is just trying to work it out for themselves.

I'd like to do a similar thing with younger Aboriginal mothers, but am still working out the contacts for that. It's very complicated.
Deb
Widget 4! Midget 2 - two little WHO babies
Science@home - Fun activities and information for babies, toddlers and big kids.

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Well, I just did it. Got all the samples from last year and stuck them in a letter to APMAIF. Last time I did that was last Jan! 34 breaches of the WHO Code in all. Mentioned recommendation #22 - to implement the WHO Code in there as well. We'll see how long a reply takes to come back this year - last year it was 10 months...

bronnypigz

Post by bronnypigz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:27 pm

I want to do local things. ie Breastfeeding friendly workplaces, breastfeeding welcome here stickers and more / better parents rooms.

2 new shopping centers here is town don't even have baby change facilities. One is next to a pub with baby change facilities but there is no way I'd walk in there with my daughter!

I'll have to ask my Group Leader what exactly I am allowed to do, as I'm not sure of the rules. I'm hopefully going to start my training soon.

Oh, and what would you do if there is a shop with a breastfeeding welcome here sticker which doesn't have room to get a pram in. There is a cafe here in town with one, but to be able to have a pram in there, you need to put the pram in the walk ways. ok. It's hard to explain. It's in a shopping center and it has metal poles to section it off. And in order to use it, the prams have to be the other side of these poles. If you get what I mean? Isn't one of the points that you are able to get a pram INTO the place?
Bronny ~ 26 (Trainee BC and Single mum)
Josephine (DD1) ~ (Born sleeping) 7~12~2005

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:41 am

I've been pondering on this, and I've set a few goals for myself. I hope you guys don't mind annoying questions, because I'm fairly new to most of this :wink:

Write letters to baby food companies requesting that they voluntarily adopt the WHO code

Send letter to APMAIF (I'm thinking once every 3 months, and I will get a diary to carry around with me to write down when I see breeches)

Write letters (well, probably emails) to various politicians requesting they implement the changes recommended by the parliamentary inquiry

Question - The list I have in my mind to send this to is my local federal and state MP's, the minister for health, minister for education, minister for families. Is there annyone I should add/remove from that list?

Contact local businesses about bf welcome here sticker

Contact local MCHN's about including ABA in their new mums group program (once I start my training that is)

And a few small things, helping close friends (and friends of friends) get in touch with ABA and other good sources of bf information!

Changing the face of motherhood, one boob at a time :wink: :lol:

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!

Rosie Posie

Post by Rosie Posie » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:23 pm

I now have two places in my neighbourhood that have become breastfeeding welcome and a couple of new places in my sights.

Today I went and talked to our MCHN about our ABA group. She will display the group meetings. She was really supportive of breastfeeding and very keen to establish links with the community. Yay!

I am just talking with the group leader about getting the libraries to adopt breastfeeding welcome and subscribe to essense.

So far everybody that I have approached has been really happy to receive information and it gets me all excited about approaching more people.
Mum of two precious children

DS 13/05/05
DD 14/12/07