Toy bottles

Private Breastfeeding Advocacy discussion area. The Advocacy topic is for Counsellors, Trainees, CE's and members of the Advocacy WG to discuss issues relating to Breastfeeding Advocacy, such as purpose, strategy, techniques, etc. Constructive debate is encouraged, but arguments about the relative merits of Breastmilk and ABM or breastfeeding and bottlefeeding will not be tolerated. The Australian Breastfeeding Association strives to educate the community about the importance of human milk and support all mothers in their feeding choices.

Moderator: monkeyboyzmum

ella

Toy bottles

Post by ella » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm feeling a little glum about young girls and their attitude to breatfeeding. Last week a little group of girls (8 yrs) were playing "mums & babies" one of the girls said their baby was hungry & it needed a bottle, I asked if any were brestfed "eeeewww gross" was the reply. I commented that my little Ruby (who they all know) is breastfed...another "eeewww gross".

I can see that these girls maybe haven't had much exposure to breasfeeding (something I can work on!!), but I also wonder if seeing someone breastfeeding would be enough to overcome their social conditioning that breastfeeding is "gross" and bottles are "normal"????????????????? I just dont know?

I'm so seriously sick of every second toy baby/doll having a bottle included in it's box. Why? The message they send worries me.

How do you go about complaining about toy bottles? who would you even complain to??
R 28/9/06 A 29/12/09

"The time in your arms, at your breast and in your bed is such a relatively short time, but your message of love and availability will last a lifetime"
Dr William Sears

phoenix
Counsellor

Post by phoenix » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:12 pm

Yes Ella it is frustrating. This is the sort of reaction i would expect from teenagers but hey children get their ideas from somewhere!
Was this a group of girls at your school? Is it possible to do a feed and bath demo for the class? Ideally it would be someone with a young baby. It's a great way to get the word out about BF in a fun way.

Are these school toys? The kindy David went to had no bottles for the home section, I also got them the teddy bear slings and they held a feed and bath demo one year as well.
Or I guess if there are bottles you can write EBM on there
:-D this way you don't make them think that bottles are necessarily bad-there are lots of mums who work and the babies have EBM when away.

Oh and I moved this to the new advocacy section :wink:
Me:-31
DH:- 32
Finally married after 12yrs together!!!
David:- 8 (breastfed 23mths)
Rylee:-5 (breastfed 3yrs 3mths)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."-Mohandas Gandhi

Rosie Posie

Post by Rosie Posie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:28 pm

phoenix wrote:Is it possible to do a feed and bath demo for the class? Ideally it would be someone with a young baby. It's a great way to get the word out about BF in a fun way.

I recently did one of these with my DD as the demo baby at a kinder. After breastfeeding her and she was still fussing a little girl said "she needs a bottle". It is very ingrained this bottle culture perhaps because bottle feeding is so obvious and breastfeeding is nice and discreet.
Mum of two precious children

DS 13/05/05
DD 14/12/07