D-MER...how to manage?

Stressed….depressed or just feeling emotionally isolated and in need of a chat? Sometimes the labels don’t fit but the emotional baggage we carry is the same…….if your life isn’t all beautiful like the nappy ads would have us believe, feel free to have a chat here. It’s important to have somewhere safe where you can be yourself and talk about the things that REALLY matter.

mum-meals

D-MER...how to manage?

Post by mum-meals » Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 pm

I've recently had very squeamish, absorbing, agitated feelings during feeds, especially when DS2's sucking is strong. It's a really awful feeling, and I can't concentrate on anything else especially my older kids, at the time. At an ABA meeting today, the counsellor thought it might be D-MER and from what I've read it does fit the bill. Except I feel anxious between feeds too... I'm very food sensitive, especially to amines, so it's interesting that D-MER is connected to the hormone dopamine.

Does D-MER respond to the usual suggestions for managing depression/anxiety e.g. exercise? Will is just pass with time?

It feels like an uphill but invisible battle to be breastfeeding at the moment, given my limited diet and this awful feeling. :(
mum-meals
DD Dec 2007
DS1 April 2010
DS2 Feb 2014

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Re: D-MER...how to manage?

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon May 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi mum-meals

There was an article in Essence several years ago with some good information on D-MER. If you are a subscriber you can see back issues of Essence on MyABA, although the search function isn't great.

A friend of mine struggled with this alot as her children got older - it was really tough for her. You are doing well to work through it and seek out help.

I'll see what I can find this evening if that would help?

MW
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

mum-meals

Post by mum-meals » Mon May 05, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks MW, I logged in but past issues of Essence aren't available at the moment. It's good to know I'm not alone.
Anything you can find would be great, if you have the time. Many thanks!
mum-meals
DD Dec 2007
DS1 April 2010
DS2 Feb 2014

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon May 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi mum-meals

I can't access Essence articles either, but I did find two articles on the ABA website. At the bottom of this one is a link to a support group :
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... flex-d-mer

And here is another article
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/blog/s ... astfeeding

I hope these help.

TheSlayer
Trainee

Post by TheSlayer » Tue May 06, 2014 7:44 am

Hi!

One of my forum friends let me know about your thread - I struggled with D-MER quite horribly until my son was around 9 months of age (had events after that time, but not to the same level); so just wanted to pop my head in and let me know that if you wanted to talk to another mum who went through it and get some support, I'm around.

:) Please don't feel you're going through it alone. For me, distraction and meditation through feeds was really the only way to get through it. Comedy shows being recorded or downloaded onto my phone so I could put them on during a feed was a particular way I managed to dig out of the hole that would open up as letdown happened.
Proud storker for Katsbi's and PrincessSpud's youngest princesses!

mum-meals

Post by mum-meals » Tue May 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Thanks MW, the articles were great to read. I've used some strategies from the D-MER website which have helped today...staying well-hydrated and eating small amounts of amine-rich foods.

I really appreciate you getting in contact TheSlayer. I've started some meditation at nights and reading during feeds which has helped. The intense feelings seem to happen a few times during each feed but it's much better just knowing it will pass as the letdown happens.
mum-meals
DD Dec 2007
DS1 April 2010
DS2 Feb 2014

mum-meals

Post by mum-meals » Fri May 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Was it worse when you were tired? All my bubs had a restless night last night and I felt worse during feeds today...DS2 is also tugging and hopping on and off during feeds so that doesn't help.
mum-meals
DD Dec 2007
DS1 April 2010
DS2 Feb 2014

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri May 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi mum meals

I don't know specifically about DMER, but most conditions that are to do with mood are easier to manage when you are rested and eating well.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Fri May 09, 2014 9:58 pm

I also had DMER as well, I suspect that I had it with my other two kids as well, but only knew that it was a 'thing' thanks to the forum.

I went onto medication for it was helped a great deal. I think that I was able to wean off the medication at around 3-4 months? I still had the down feeling at every letdown for quite some time.

I couldn't eat or drink (the thought of food made me feel even worse during a feed) during a feed.

Hope that you are able to find ways to manage your DMER. Maybe do a search on the forum to see what else has been posted about it.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Fri May 09, 2014 10:00 pm

I also had DMER as well, I suspect that I had it with my other two kids as well, but only knew that it was a 'thing' thanks to the forum.

I went onto medication for it was helped a great deal. I think that I was able to wean off the medication at around 3-4 months? I still had the down feeling at every letdown for quite some time.

I couldn't eat or drink (the thought of food made me feel even worse during a feed) during a feed.

Hope that you are able to find ways to manage your DMER. Maybe do a search on the forum to see what else has been posted about it.

Check this thread out.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65203&p=800226&hilit=dmer#p800226

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Karen81

Post by Karen81 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:31 pm

I used to get this during my afternoon feeds with both girls. It was awful but it only lasted during my let down from memory. Mine went away over time, I didn't even think to seek treatment (probably because I was too busy with my PND).