Meds Question

Stressed….depressed or just feeling emotionally isolated and in need of a chat? Sometimes the labels don’t fit but the emotional baggage we carry is the same…….if your life isn’t all beautiful like the nappy ads would have us believe, feel free to have a chat here. It’s important to have somewhere safe where you can be yourself and talk about the things that REALLY matter.

Karen81

Meds Question

Post by Karen81 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:54 pm

I was prescribed 20mg of anti d. I had 2 days at 10mg and on the thirD and fourth day took 20mg. On those 2 days I felt that I was going to burst with anxiety and didn't sleep for 2 days. Went back to the Doc and he said let's up the dose to 40mg. I said no as I was scared of what more would do to me. He gave me a prescription to change drugs. I know if I change, I'll have to go though the horrible effects again.

So I've halved my dose to 10mg (haven't told Doc) of the original drug. It's covering the symptoms but I still feel like shit.

What are others experience with this? I'm guessing I should up my dose itheyre not fixing me 100%. I feel that my issues need to be talked though rather than drugged out of me. I am seeing a psych.

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:28 pm

!@~@~!group hug

You need to talk to your caregivers about the medications you're on and see if there's others available that might work for you better. Not every med is going to suit every person. I have heard that there is usually a "weaning-on" period for many of these meds, so it might just be a matter of time, but if it's not working for you, it's not working for you and it's time to ask about alternatives.

Take care :smt056
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Shady

Post by Shady » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 pm

I'm no expert but I've just started taking my first lot of anti-depressants from Thursday last week. I'm taking a lower dose (25mg) for a week then increasing it to the full amount (50mg). Maybe the doctor has got you weaning onto it too fast? Perhaps if you take it a bit slower the side effects might not be so bad.
I had some anxiety for the first two nights after I started and it's not very nice, but I'm good now. Sorry you haven't had a good experience. :(

ETA - the evidence shows that the best approach to treating depression is a combination of both psychological therapy and medication. But don't feel that you can't knock it on the head just by seeing a psychologist.
I have had two previous bouts of depression that I have recovered from without medication, just seeing a psych. The only reason that I have taken meds this time is because I just don't have the capacity this time to keep it all together long enough for the 'talking' therapy to work.
Image Image

Otty

Post by Otty » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:18 pm

I don't recall having any negative side effects when I first started taking the meds. It did however take about 4-6 weeks before I really started to feel better and a lot less anxious and depressed. Hang in there.
ImageImage

Welcome baby Alice!

Sam21

Post by Sam21 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Tricky one Karen. I'd second the suggestion to try adjusting the dose gradually, as in stay at one dose for at least a week before increasing. You could try increasing in smaller jumps too, so go to 15 before getting up to 20. I was just too depserate to hang in there for weeks and weeks to see if the medication would work which is why I switched and tried another one. It is probably worth talking with your doctor as Esther says and discuss your alternatives. A friend of mine raves about how good venlafaxine is. Not sure if you would like mirtazapine but it would give instant relief from insomnia and improve your appetitie. Guess your other option is to perhaps just take medications to help you sleep when you need it and do some intensive work with a psych and see if you can get by like that without resorting to ADs? Oh and I'd really really recommend some intensive exercise if you can fit it in. The stress hormones just build and build in your body and exercise is probably the most effective thing at relieving all that tension and getting some feel good hormones pumping.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:10 pm

It is normal for the meds to cause you MORE anxiety in the intital stages but then to subside as your body gets use to the medication.

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:30 pm

The evidence that anti-depressants work for treating mild to moderate depression is extremely poor. Unfortunately most GPs get most of their education from drug reps and are not well versed in non-pharmaceutical treatments (such as exercise which has well researched and documented positive impact).
I'll give you a quote from a recent paper on one of the newer antidepressants. Ian Hickey is one of the authors and he was criticised for being a big pharma shrill in this paper- however it says "The wider set of studies of [drug name] now available highlights the more general problem encountered in the evaluation of new antidepressants—that separation from placebo is an inconsistent finding." What that means is that they have difficulty in distinguishing whether antidepressants have any benefit over a placebo (for example a sugar pill with no active ingredient).
Unfortunately, adverse outcomes associated with the use of psychiatric drugs are understudied and under reported especially for long term use.
I'm not suggesting any particular action for you but just that it is worth doing a bit of your own research and knowing that antidepressants do not work for everyone, in fact they don't work for a lot of people. And for some people they actually make things worse. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what any individual will experience. It's horrible place to be in.
There is a significant but small group of psychiatrists and other health professionals and researchers who question the current usage of psychiatric drugs. One of those people is Jon Juredini who spoke some years ago at the ABA health prof seminars about the marketing of infant formula (for the same tactics are used to market infant formula as pharmaceuticals). If you are interested in further reading the following paper might help http://www.cchr.org/sites/default/files ... llness.pdf
Karleen

fellare

Post by fellare » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 pm

meds are hard. too high a dose makes them not work properly either, so it can take a while to get the right dose and the right meds as well. Nearly all AD's have depression as a side effect, please go to your GP straight away if you have seriously bad thoughts (like self harm), this can happen even on a very low dose.
Everybody reacts differently to meds and it usually takes quite a while for the effects to settle and be of real benefit. So you might just have to hang in there. I do think that upping the dose after less than a week is really quick, so perhaps just go back a bit and increase later? Do discuss this with the doctor, though, I'm no medical expert.

If you think just seeing a psych would be plenty, than that will probably be plenty. Meds are no cure-all. Actually, meds are as effective as a psych is, and both taken together is the most effective.

Hugs, you're doing the right thing with getting help and making sure the help is actually helping! You must be strong to be able to do that.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Karen81

Post by Karen81 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you everyone.

I guess I should say I'm better than I was a week ago. I'm not curled up in bed howling like a baby. I'm not having the intense panic episodes.

BUT... I am still having the same obsessive thoughts about sleep. Counting how many hours I've had, that I won't be able to sleep the next night, that ill be stuck with insomnia forever. I guess the meds have taken away the physical reaction to those thoughts, but I'm still consumed by them.

That's why I think the psych is so important. Obviously the drugs can't eliminate those thoughts, therapy needs to work out where they're coming from. Does that make sense?

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 pm

You are making complete and utter sense to me :smt056
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Karen81

Post by Karen81 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 am

Thought I'd post a quick update.

I saw my GP yesterday and he said he's happy for me to stay on the 10mg if it's working for me. I explained to him that it's controlling the symptoms and the rest I need to talk through. He is so, so supportive of me and just seems to "get it" (his wife has anxiety).

I saw my naturopath the other day and she's given me a kick in the pants to sort my diet out, given me some herbs & supplements. Could be a fluke but the past 2 nights I've been able to get some sleep. Last night I got about 7 hours all up and I looked after DD2 all by myself all night. That was a confidence booster.

I'm also going for a walk everyday. Even if I'm dead on my feet.

So whilst my anxiety is still there, for a couple of days I've been able to reign it in a bit. Hoping I can keep improving with "mindfulness" too ( that's the hardest bit).

Sam21

Post by Sam21 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:52 pm

That's great to hear Karen. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Hope things just continue to get better from here. Keep us posted as to how you are going. xx

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Karen81 wrote:So whilst my anxiety is still there, for a couple of days I've been able to reign it in a bit.
Its pretty normal for mums with little babies to have some anxiety. Its when your anxiety is not for a real reason and is causing further problems, that its a problem. Try to remember that its pretty normal to have some anxiety about your precious little bundle, and try not to worry about worrying, IYKWIM?
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)