help please

Stressed….depressed or just feeling emotionally isolated and in need of a chat? Sometimes the labels don’t fit but the emotional baggage we carry is the same…….if your life isn’t all beautiful like the nappy ads would have us believe, feel free to have a chat here. It’s important to have somewhere safe where you can be yourself and talk about the things that REALLY matter.

momi

help please

Post by momi » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:50 pm

hello :)
i have no experience with PND, other than what i have read from this forum, so thought this was the place to turn for help...

a close friend of mine had a baby girl 4 months ago. i visited her before i left oz and she seemed to be doing really well, breastfeeding was going fantastically and the baby and mum seemed happy and healthy.
this friend emailed me a few weeks ago to say that she was being admitted to a perinatal psychiatric hospital because she'd shown evidence of self harm and wanting to harm her baby. i was so shocked and saddened that i could not be there to support her in person. i sent her an email offering my support and prayers and a flowering plant, but did not hear back from her until today. she says she may be discharged next week but she is scared that things will get worse once she leaves, she has no family support apart from her husband, and she says the problem is that she is a failure as a mother because she cannot bond with her baby.
my heart is breaking for her. i havent replied because i don't know what to say, she says she does not want to take any antidepressant meds while she is breastfeeding because she does not really want to admit that something is wrong :S

help please? :(

Esther

Post by Esther » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Oh hugs to you and your friend momi :(

ABA has a great booklet on PND and breastfeeding

http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catalog ... astfeeding

And maybe send her here?
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

momi

Post by momi » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:07 pm

HI Esther, thank you for that, i'll try to order the booklet and send it to her. and i will recommend the forum as a great place for support :)