Anxiety Attacks/PND

Stressed….depressed or just feeling emotionally isolated and in need of a chat? Sometimes the labels don’t fit but the emotional baggage we carry is the same…….if your life isn’t all beautiful like the nappy ads would have us believe, feel free to have a chat here. It’s important to have somewhere safe where you can be yourself and talk about the things that REALLY matter.

beautifulboy

Anxiety Attacks/PND

Post by beautifulboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:51 am

Hi there

The past week or so it has become clear to me that despite my long period of self-denial (I had mild PND/anxiety after DD1 that responded to counselling - no meds) I have PND/anxiety again. DD2 is now 13 months - but if I'm being honest with myself I have felt like this for a long time.

The past month or so has been particularly bad though - and that's what's pushed me to seek help I guess. I have been having panic/anxiety attacks when I'm out and about like in shopping centres etc. At first I thought there was something physically wrong with me and have been seeing my Dr for health issues - but everything has come up fine.

I have always been a worrier - and becoming a Mum has naturally increased that. I stress about my kids, about their health, about my health (I lost my Dad a few years ago)...the list goes on.

But I think my anxiety levels are now beyond "normal"? The panic attacks leave me feeling like I will faint and like I'm detached from the hub bub around me. Crowds seem to make it worse. I even had one at my daughter's 1st birthday party! :(

I am constantly exhausted. My body aches just about everywhere and I just don't have the energy to care about much. I am so scared about becoming a basket case and not being their for my kids. (My eldest starts school next year so I really want to be on top of these issues before then.)

Anyway - I have made an appt to see my GP next week but I guess I am interested in a few things:

- can anyone else relate?
- does medication help anxiety or is counselling better?
- are there any strategies you have used to deal with panic attacks/or better still, how do you avoid them!?!?
- I am still breastfeeding, and hope to continue - are there medications I can take while breastfeeding?
- is it possible to recover from anxiety completely or will this be something I am dealing with forever?

Thanks
DS1 - April 2006 (BF for 10 months)
DD1 - May 2008 (BF for 23 months)
DD2 - October 2010 (BFing and loving it)

beautifulboy

Post by beautifulboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:03 am

Just re-read my post and it is all over the place sorry!
Hope it makes sense.

I should add, I haven't told anyone in real life yet and am terrified of doing so...I really don't want to to be honest. (Apart from my doctor.)
DS1 - April 2006 (BF for 10 months)
DD1 - May 2008 (BF for 23 months)
DD2 - October 2010 (BFing and loving it)

scoutannie

Post by scoutannie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:27 am

HI

Firstly massive hugs and congratulations on being willing to talk to your doctor!

I'm going to put it out there that I'm an intern psychologist, and am currently doing training in perinatal depression, but I'll try to keep it basic (mods sorry if I say the wrong thing though.) There's a bunch of great resources through beyond blue, which if you get the chance is a great resource.
Anxiety (and depression for that matter) becomes an issue when it is affecting your life, which is what it sounds like. I know the feeling, I've been there on and off for a long time now. I also get the not wanting to talk about it to those around me.

- can anyone else relate? Yes!!

- does medication help anxiety or is counselling better? Depends on the severity. Counselling helps long term, but sometimes people need the medication to get to a point where counselling works. Hopefully your GP will discuss all this with you, and refer you to someone trained in PND/

- are there any strategies you have used to deal with panic attacks/or better still, how do you avoid them!?!? Breathing, working on my thoughts helps me,
- I am still breastfeeding, and hope to continue - are there medications I can take while breastfeeding? I think so, but check with your GP or Rodney Whyte (someone here would be able to point you to him).

- is it possible to recover from anxiety completely or will this be something I am dealing with forever? It is, sometimes it may return, but the idea of counselling is that you have the strategies to help yourself before it gets too bad.

Massive hugs, it can be hard to cope with.
Annette

tessabirdy

Post by tessabirdy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Big huge hugs!! I started having panic attacks a few months back, but I'm happy to say I haven't had one in a while... What helped for me, when I felt one coming on - distraction, try to keep yourself busy so you're not focussing on panicking
- chamomile tea, sounds stupid but it really helped me (placebo maybe?)
- breathing into a paper bag/your hands. A doctor told me that this helps because something to do with inhaling carbon dioxide - it has calming properties (or something like that?)
Hmmmm can't remember what else, if I think of anything I'll get back to you. HTH :-)