Weaning off anti depressant

Stressed….depressed or just feeling emotionally isolated and in need of a chat? Sometimes the labels don’t fit but the emotional baggage we carry is the same…….if your life isn’t all beautiful like the nappy ads would have us believe, feel free to have a chat here. It’s important to have somewhere safe where you can be yourself and talk about the things that REALLY matter.

leanned76

Weaning off anti depressant

Post by leanned76 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi Ladies,

I have been on anti depressants for about 12 months. 3 weeks ago i started to wean myself off ( with my gp's advice) and during this time found out very unexpectedly i was preggers again! My GP said they were safe to re start, or stay on during pregnancy but i just wondered if anyone has had the same experience of being on anti depressants during a pregnancy. I was diagnosed with PND when my bub was 4 months old and they have made such a HUGE difference to my life i cant believe i waited so long ( my GP thinks i may have had mild depression during my pregnancy too )

Should i stay on or go off i DONT want it again it was HORRIBLE!!!

Big hugs to anyone having a bad day or to anyone who just needs a hug :D
Leanne
Image Image

Sam21

Post by Sam21 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:38 pm

I had only been on them about 3 or 4 months when I fell pregnant. I have weaned myself off because I thought I could manage and I thought if that was the case it was best to stop them. I figure you can always start taking them again if you find you can't cope. For me, the pregnancy hormones seem to be working in my favour and I don't think I would've had the same success in weaning off them if I wasn't pregnant. If you do decide to wean my only advice is to go slowly. I found sometimes after reducing the dose for 2 or 3 days I would then have to take a higher dose for a day or two and then reduce again. Goodluck with whatever you decide. The available evidence seems pretty good in terms of their safety in pregnancy.

RyansMummy

Post by RyansMummy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:14 pm

I was put on anti depressants with DS1 when he was a couple of months old and was on them for about 2 years before weaning off them. When I was preg with DS2 I was starting to feel very anxious again, similar to how I was after DS1 so my Dr suggested that I go back on them, which I did with no effect on DS2 (that I am aware of at least!!). I am on a very low dose - same as I was with DS1 and am still taking them now, but they did help a great deal with the anxiety I was/am feeling.

FYI - at my most recent appointment to discuss how things are going my Dr advised me that there may be some media releases about anti depressants during pregnancy, but assured me not to worry, they are about very high doses, but some media may neglect to mention the dose.

Not sure if this is of any help to you :)

leanned76

Post by leanned76 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Ryansmummy and sam21

Thanks for your helpfull replies. I have to admit i have been tempted to stay on them just because i was so depressed by the time i went on them the first 3 months of bubs life was not the happy experience it shud have been and i dont want to the same thing to happen again.

I am seeing my ob tomorrow and i will ask her advice although i guess i am the only one who trully knows how i feel. I am on a VERY low dose currently so think i will be ok without them, but its reassuring to know that i can restart them if i need to.

Leanne :D
Image Image

Rachwa

Post by Rachwa » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Leanne, congratulations on your pregnancy!

I was on a very high dose of anti depressants before I fell pregnant. I came off them with my Dr's help before I fell pregnant. I found the pregnancy hormones kept it all at bay and 8 months post-birth I'm still doing ok.

Everyone is different though and you can review your situation at any time of course. There is no shame in needing ADs so ask for help as soon as you need it.