Desperate times call for desperate measures

Stressed….depressed or just feeling emotionally isolated and in need of a chat? Sometimes the labels don’t fit but the emotional baggage we carry is the same…….if your life isn’t all beautiful like the nappy ads would have us believe, feel free to have a chat here. It’s important to have somewhere safe where you can be yourself and talk about the things that REALLY matter.

Melby

Desperate times call for desperate measures

Post by Melby » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:20 pm

So my baby is 5 months and has just cut his first tooth, and I think another one is on the way. He is having 6 feeds during the day and about 4 feeds at night which is doing my head in. At night he feeds at about 9.30, 12ish, 2ish and 4-5ish. I don't understand why he can go 3-4 hours between feeds during the day, and then need feeds so close together at night? He is pretty healthy (ie not underweight) I have had enough of this sleep deprivation and am ready to go to formula for the 9.30ish feed only in the hope of having him sleep for a few more hours. I am getting to the point where I am not enjoying him like I should and get angry with him and am cranky at my husband, which isn't fair. Should I try and feed him more during the day even though he doesn't ask for it?? I really don't want to have to resort to formula, as I don't believe in it, but I am struggling to cope......

Rachwa

Post by Rachwa » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Melby, I understand, I'm living frequent wakeups atm too.

Do you think maybe he needs more feeds at night *because* he is going so long during the day? I would offer more often during the day to see if that flips things around for you. At that age there's a lot of other interesting things happening and they can forget about feeding until things are nice and quiet and dark. If you can, try and feed him somewhere quiet during the day.

I don't really know if formula will help him sleep longer but you've got to do what is right for you. My only thought is if formula reduces your supply and doesn't make him sleep longer it would be very hard to get up that often and have to prepare bottles in the middle of the night.

Good luck!

Monicat

Re: Desperate times call for desperate measures

Post by Monicat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Melby wrote:Should I try and feed him more during the day even though he doesn't ask for it?? I really don't want to have to resort to formula, as I don't believe in it, but I am struggling to cope......
It is worth a shot. My DS was a frequent night waker too and I found it incredibly tiring and extremely stressful after a while too, feeling much the way you describe with your LO and DH.

My DS would take much bigger feeds at night as he wasn't distracted by things going on in the house and could just concentrate on having a feed and then go back to sleep, with a nice full tummy.

Things that helped were - having his cot right next to us so all I had to do was reach over and slide him over to grab him, feed and then slide back into the cot without getting out of bed. Or making DH get up and get him if he is in a different room.

I also stopped looking at the clock, because that was just reminding me how little sleep I was getting and how tired I was.

I also made sure to rest during the day when I could. Even if the house looked like a pigsty too bad, your mental health is way more important.

Do you have someone who can take your DS for a few hours during the day, even if your DH takes him out for a few hours one day on the weekend so you can just sleep (or if you can't sleep, just lay down and rest and do nothing) that helped me a lot too.

The only thing that really helped with DS sleeping longer periods though was time.

cheri

Post by cheri » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:10 am

For me, the saving grace is knowing it won't last forever, babies tend to change their routine pretty regularly so a good night could be just around the corner

Yes, I'm an optimist of sorts, I really struggle at the 4 to 5 month mark, but from experience with my son I know it gets better so I'm a bit happier this time around

For me, cluster feeding from around 4pm helps, and trying to make sure bubs is awake after 4pm (no late afternoon naps, easier said than done though). I then put her down from 6.30-7.30pm. I like a bit of a routine.

Big hugs x
DS born November 2007 b'fed 2 yrs 3 months
DD born February 2011 breastfeeding!