Hi everyone!

New to the forum? Find out who else is here and possibly introduce yourself too. BUT, Please ensure you read our "Forum and Personal Safety" guidelines first!!! In the Guidelines section at the top. Introducing yourself is NOT mandatory to enjoy the forum
Noellia

Hi everyone!

Post by Noellia » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi everyone!
New to this whole thing and read on a website that I should be signed up to this so after paying for my membership I am unsure what the purpose of this account is for. Can someone who knows the ropes explain the benefits of having an ABA membership?

I was looking for first time pregnant mothers to be in my area, is this where I found groups like that?

I am a first time parent, 15 weeks and have absolutely no idea about any of this stuff. Bought the what to expect when youre expecting book and have found it to be overwhelming and depressing (it only seems to mention the bad things and what could go wrong but not the good things!)

Thanks for reading this!

PellyintheWilderness

Re: Hi everyone!

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum :)

The ABA's helpline service is freely available to everyone, but there are some special services only members can access, such as e-mail counselling. This forum is open to everyone, but it's not an official counselling service, although you can certainly get good ideas, feedback and support here!

The ABA has local groups in many places, with regular meetings and access to face-to-face counselling. The website has a function to let you find and contact your nearest group.

There are also some other membership benefits such as bi-monthly copies of our magazine, Essence, a discount at Mothers Direct, discounted hospital-grade breast pump hire, and access to the My Savings programme (see the website). You should also receive a copy of Breastfeeding Naturally, the ABA's own guide to breastfeeding and related parenting topics.

Memberships are the ABA's number one source of income, so thank you for your support!

And yes, some parenting books can seem a bit negative and overwhelming. They're trying to put everything you could possibly want to know about between two covers, and of course, nobody needs to consult the book when it's all going well.

Best wishes for your pregnancy!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Welcome aboard! :smt006

We call that book 'the book where fun went to die' in our house!! And the breastfeeding information is terrible. There are plenty of better options and as a member you may be able to borrow some from your local ABA group's library.

This is a space for mums (and the occasional Dad) to chatter about breastfeeding, parenting and everything else. There is a space for pregnancy - maybe you would like to check that out.

If you haven't already, it would be great to sign up for a Breastfeeding Education Class - you will meet some mums to be in your area and learn all you need to prepare for breastfeeding. Then pop along to one of your local ABA meetings to meet some more lovely people (and cake - there is almost always cake!)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Welcome aboard the forum train! :-)

Pelly and Mummy woo! Have already highlighted things so I won't repeat! :-)

But being a member is so rewarding in so many ways. :-)
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 pm

Welcome to the forum and to ABA in general :smt006

Personally I am so happy I joined. I have had so much support and made so many friends through this wonderful association. I really hope you get a lot out of it too.

Sounds like you really want to connect with local mums so do get along to your local group. Someone will probably contact you with the details soon but if you can't wait you can type your postcode/suburb into the search bars on this page: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/contacts/groups

I would also highly recommend attending a breastfeeding education class. Its one of the benefits of membership and was my first introduction to ABA. https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/classes
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:31 am

Welcome.

Some people suggest that book, and some others, belongs in the horror section rather than the parenting section of bookshops. Some of these https://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catego ... s-dvds-cds books might suit you better.