Moderator intro....

New to the forum? Find out who else is here and possibly introduce yourself too. BUT, Please ensure you read our "Forum and Personal Safety" guidelines first!!! In the Guidelines section at the top. Introducing yourself is NOT mandatory to enjoy the forum
Lilea
Trainee

Moderator intro....

Post by Lilea » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi,
My name is Lilea and for those that don't know me I thought I would give you a little "hello". I would have used lime green, my favourite colour, had it been available, but unfortunately it is not.

I have two littlies. My daughter is 2 1/2 and my son is 1. We are going through the rigours of toilet-training at the moment and basically that she ignores me at every opportunity if there is something even slightly more interesting to be done.

I joined ABA when she was 8 months old and it was one of the best things I have done. I began my training as a Counsellor earlier this year and am hoping to be finished early next year. It means the support I receive I can give back to others. I have dabbled with AND and PND (the new booklet is definitely worth a read) and started with the Forum before joining a group. Joining ABA also enabled me to have the confidence and expectation that my children and I would continue our breastfeeding relationship as long as we felt comfortable doing so....regardless of what anyone else thought.....which is why we are still happily doing so.

Just in case you wondered....all the moderators and admin are Mums (and also some Dads) just like all of you and have lots of different experiences, which is why we try to see discussions from all angles to ensure that no-one gets overly upset in the process.
Last edited by Lilea on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Met DB 2002..Became DH 2003..
DD Pumpkin 2004..DS Squigy 2005

Foxglove

Post by Foxglove » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Hello all, I have three children, DS is 9, DD1 is 6 and DD2 was born on the 5th April 2009 as a VBAC :smt061

I don't like creepy crawlies, I love my husband and kids, I love theatre-I'm a big drama queen!!! 8) And singing, my poor neighbours! Especially when I am in a musical :smt034

I joined the ABA when DS was 12 months old and he weaned himself a couple weeks later! But I still went along, I love the support and friendship that I get through it and I really love being a counsellor and helping Mums with their breastfeeding relationship. @!##!
Last edited by Foxglove on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

rachel67
Counsellor

Post by rachel67 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:34 am

Hi I'm Rachel

I have been a counsellor for about 9 years now. When I joined ABA, up in Atherton, Far North Queensland, it was still 'Nursing Mothers'.

I have Lily who is 9 and Ben who turned 7 this week. I'm sure they seem truly ancient to many of you on the forum but it really did seem like only yesterday that they were babes in arms.

I have just finished my studies to become a registered nurse and plan to become a midwife and lactation consultant in the next few years.

Becoming a mother is the most wonderful thing I have ever done and also the most challenging at times. I have had such great help from many wonderful people - ABA, midwives etc. Now I want to give something back and help new mums and their families.

I turn 40 in February and I'm planning a huge party because I think I deserve it!!!

mickeymouse
Community Educator

Post by mickeymouse » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:33 am

Hi my name is Michelle and I am a Community Educator with the ABA. I am a member of the North Eastern Suburbs Group, in South Australia

I have 2 children, Boyd who will be 2 next month and Ashleigh who will be 4 weeks on tuesday. I joined ABA when my son was 3 month old because I needed interaction with other mums. I breastfed Boyd until he was 19m when he self weaned (I was 6m pregnant). I beleive that the only reason I was able to do this, and follow my instincts as a mother by co-sleeping etc was because of the suport network I had built up, and that this style of parenting is so common within ABA groupsl

It really was the best thing I could have done. I beleive it saved me from a path of PND. I did my CE training late last year and have decided to do my Councellor training sometime in the next year.

I help moderate the forum (in a really quiet way - have been busy with the whole pregnancy thing) - I hope to get a bit more involved in the forum now Ashleigh is a bit older.

xoxo
Michelle
Boyd Dec 04
Ashleigh 24/10 - 22/12/06
Here for a short time, forever in my heart

Ashleigh passed away from SIDS, I thought it could never happen to me. To find out more about us please PM me

jennylee
Site Admin

Post by jennylee » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi my name is Jenny.

I joined ABA(then NMAA) in 1990 just after the birth of my first child - Megan (now 16!) Steven was born in 1992 and Rohan in 1994. I qualified as a breastfeeding counsellor in April 1997.

ABA has given me so much confidence to parent the way that suits my family. I listen to my heart, not what others say. It has also taken me outside my comfort zone on many occasions! From running a group discussion to talking to over 200 women at an ABA conference! Public speaking scared the life out of me before, but ABA is such a nurturing and accepting association. I am forever in its debt for the way it has helped me to grow as a person.

I am into computers - have a Business Degree and an IT post-grad. My main role with ABA these days is looking after the Assocaition website, something I have done since just before I qualified as a counsellor - so yes pretty well from the start. There was a website created by a counsellor in NSW before I came along - she could not keep doing it, I was interested and away we went - it is still evolving - who would have guessed 10 years ago how the site would have grown. I wonder what it will be like in another 10 years time! Scary to think about actually.

I also love a good drop of wine, fine food (though my all time favorite food would have to be the humble dim sim :shock: ) and music - especially Aussie rock. I am also an AFL fan - go Saints!!

cheers :D
Australian Breastfeeding Association
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au

Mel P

Post by Mel P » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:37 am

Hi, I'm Mel

I'm mum to two boys. Andrew is 5 years and Phillip is 3 years old. I am also due to have a baby somewhere in the last few weeks of January. I love being a SAHM with them although I don't actually get to spend that much time at home! :lol: Andrew starts school at the end of January so that promises to be a busy and challenging time for us all. I'm so not looking forward to my little boy going off to school! :cry: LOL

I joined ABA when DS1 was about 4 months old after receiving some brilliant help from an ABA counsellor and went to my first meeting when he was 6 months old. I qualified as a counsellor in March 2006.

ABA has also given me a huge boost of self-confidence as a mum and a person in my own right. I still don't like speaking publicly but I'm so much better at it now than I've ever been before. I love meeting all the mums, babies/children and dads ABA brings me into contact with.

I absolutely love the way ABA encompasses mums with such different parenting views and experiences. I really feel accepted and unjudged.

Cheers,

BabyGumnut

Post by BabyGumnut » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:24 am

Hi I'm Nicole :smt039
I'm married and a SAHM to 2, DD is 4.5years and she breastfed til 3.5yrs and DS who is 2.25 and continues to love booby :D

I joined ABA when DD was 14 months as we had moved interstate and I didn't know any who was feeding a 14 month old :shock: . At my first ABA meeting I met other mums feeding toddlers and immediately felt welcome and 'normal' again. My ABA group have been an enormous source of support for me !@~@~!group hug and I have recently qualified as a Counsellor. I wanted to train so I could give back some of the wonderful support I recieved not just with breastfeeding but my mothering in general. So far I love being a Counsellor :smt049.

My breastfeeding experience has included sore & cracked nippples in the early days, resisting well meaning advice from relatives, feeding beyond 12 months, feeding while pregnant and tandem feeding for over 12 months and child led weaning plus a few other bumps and hiccups along the way.
I look forward to chatting with everyone around the boards.

Forgot to mention that you can 'meet' me in the November 06 issue of Essence - p 12.
Married & mum to DD 9 & DS 7 & DD 2. Got a teether/biter/puller/fiddler? solve it with
this Image click my 'www' to order

Saffsmum
Site Admin

Post by Saffsmum » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi all

I live in the beautiful South West of WA, but grew up in Adelaide, and have lived in Tassie and far north QLD as well.

I have one beautiful DD who is 3 1/2, who was weaned much to hers and my dismay at three when I became ill with my current pregnancy, and no.2 is due in early January (well, probably around Christmas with the way this preg is going :? )

I joined ABA when my DD was about one month old, and have been an active member of our small group ever since. I completed my counsellor training about a month ago, and am now group leader for our local group, as well as doing the publicity and getting involved in ABA at a National and Branch level when I can.

I knew nothing - absolutely nothing - about breastfeeding until I went to ante natals where I met my ABA mentor and now great friend (and ex group leader!) and she inspired me to successfully breastfeed my DD and become involved in ABA.

ABA is my lifeline - I don't have much family and none living nearby, and I have never felt so much part of a group as I do with ABA.

ABA has also filled the vacancy that paid work has normally had in my life. I treat parts of my involvement like a "job" yet a job with amazingly flexible hours and the world's most undersanding boss! With the ABA becoming a Registered Training Organisation, I will be able to keep up my work skills so that when the time comes to return to the workforce, I will have current and valid qualifications to show for my 6 or 7 years as a SAHM!

I love moderating on the forum and "meeting" so many wonderful people!
A great demonstration of how ABA works is that very few of us moderators actually know each other - I only know two or three of the other regular moderators personally, yet we work really well together as a team.

S :D

mamabear
Counsellor

Post by mamabear » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:50 pm

hi all.
i just love and am addicted to this forum, but while i am a counsellor and moderate i really appreciate it as a mum most of all.
one of the things i love about my ABA involvement is that i never stop learning and meeting great people! ( like all of you forumites)
i am pretty quiet on the moderater front, but read as many posts and threads as i can.

i first got involved in ABA about 10 years ago attending my local group and helping out with their library. i was a young mum then and felt more at home at ABA than at traditional mothers groups. i tried to train as a counsellor then but found that i was too busy being a young mum, and my first bub was growing up quick. so i stopped training , but i continued going to meetings, even when my bub was at school.
then 3 years ago i had my second baby, this time i knew i was ready to train, i did and earlier this year i qualified (finally!) as a counsellor.

like others have said, my main motivation was to give something back to the wonderful group that i have got so much from over the years.

i have 3 kids now 10, 3, and 1. and i am a sahm. i left school to have my dd and have done some casual jobs over the years.

i am a qld girl and always have been.

i enjoy creative writing and horseriding, but don't do much of either at the moment.

Andrew's Mum
Site Admin

Post by Andrew's Mum » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:50 pm

Hi

I am Andrew's Mum, believe it or not the mother of a son called (you guessed it) Andrew :wink: Andrew is 26 months and continuing to teach me alot about parenting!

I joined ABA back when Andrew was just a few weeks old, partly because I needed the pump hire but also because I had been told by someone that it had provided them with really good breastfeeding support, and they wouldn't be doing it without them. That was just what I needed at the time, with supply issues, very sore cracked nipples, vasospasms etc etc. Little did I guess that I would do it at the time, but I ended up feeding Andrew until he was 17 months old, and was very sad when it was time to stop.

I also became involved in ABA because i really wanted to give back the support that I got, and I became a moderator on this forum, as it was a big help to me particularly in Andrew's first year. I became a CE back in June 05 and then a counsellor and group leader this year.

I love reading the range of posts and opinions that we get on this forum, and I am constantly recommending it to people I meet!!

Cheers
AM

ozzibin74
Counsellor

Post by ozzibin74 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:54 pm

Hi :)

My name's Belinda and I thought I'd finally introduce myself here. I haven't been around much as the past year has been a bit crazy, but hopefully that will all change now... DH and I separated for 5 months last year and I temporarily moved back to Adelaide where all my family are. We reconciled in October and 2 months later made the big move from Melbourne to Katherine, very different but still finding friendly faces in ABA - I was quite impressed to discover a nice group and 3 counsellors up here.

I joined ABA before Mitchell was born at the suggestion from a counsellor who came to our antenatal class and I always say (and mean) that it was the best thing I ever did. I met some wonderful people and learnt so much, most importantly to trust myself as a mother. I started training over 2 years ago but due to abovementioned situations ;) it's taken a bit longer than anticipated. However, my folio is being posted up here this week so it shouldn't be too much longer and I look forward to giving something back to this wonderful association that has done so much for me.

Mitchell is my only child and will remain that way. We did have fairly major fertility issues so it wasn't by choice, but we are all very much at peace with it now and very happy with our family of three. He just started preschool last week, can't believe my baby is getting so grown up !!!
Belinda
Mum to Mitchell (15/4/03)

Delesta
Counsellor

A little about me

Post by Delesta » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:07 pm

I'm Delesta, I have 3 children and I've been a counsellor for 6 1/2 years. I first joined NMAA when baby #1 was 6 weeks old and haven't looked back.

I haven't been on the forums very often but am hoping to visit a little more often in future. I'm currently a group leader, I also do email counselling and whatever else is needed in my group (if I can't delegate it that is!!) Plus I've just started doing the Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment - scary!

My other interests include cross stitch, knitting, cooking, reading, and trying to keep up with my favourite tv shows, one of which you might guess from my avatar :-) I'm also making an effort to routine my housework, so it doesn't get so desperate (I'm incredibly lazy, and would much rather read a book than do dishes or vacuum!!)

I also tend to obsess over stuff - though luckily its usually only for a month or three at a time, and then I move on to the next thing!

cheers, Delesta
'What can I say? I'm obsessed' :-)

meme
Counsellor

Post by meme » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:58 pm

i thought i might pull this old thread up for our new mods :-D
perhaps it could be a sticky in the intro section??

yay new mods :-) congratulations
Mum of 3 girls, 5, 7 and 14 years old.

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar

jackie b

Post by jackie b » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks meme,
Hi all,
My name is Jackie,
Im from the sunny east coast in Tassie.
I have two wonderful children Jayden and Tadhg(Ty) who i love to the moon and back.
Im married and have been for 4 years we got married in Vanuatu ,we eloped, and when we came home Jayden was on the way :-D :-D :-D
I have just started my training with the ABA to become a breastfeeding councillor and am absolutely loving it, it makes such a difference when you are passionate and love what you are learning to do it makes you strive hard to reach your goals.
My decission to become an ABA councillor came about as we had no ABA Group or Councillors in our area(closest 3 hrs away) we began ringing around and doing some research and here we are today , training to become a councillor and we have a new little group in our area.
I cant wait to be able to give a mother the confidence and reassurance she needs to be able to continue to breastfeed longer.
Ive been a breastfeeding mumma for about 2 years and 9 months with a 2 month break i love it and i know my babies love it too.
Thats my story
jackie b :-D
Proud Mumma to my 3 Little guys
Jay, Tadhg and Ned

Susumama

Post by Susumama » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:25 pm

Hey jackie, I'm jackie too. We also eloped to Vanuatu !! :-D but didn't manage to make a baby there - that had to wait a while :D

ETA: don't suppose you got married on Erakor Island?
In knitting there are ancient possibilities; the earth is enriched with the dust of millions of knitters who have held wool and needles since the beginning of sheep. Elizabeth Zimmermann.