Who wants to play? Labour Game updates pg10

Ever feel that you would like to be able to ask some questions and have a
chat without feeling that you have to defend your choice to do things the
way you feel comfortable? Discuss your desires, aims and ask your questions
of other Mums here. If you need medical advice, please ask your medical
adviser, we aren't qualified to help you in that department and our Code of
Ethics for ABA means we do not discuss Health Professionals or Hospitals by
name. (Everyone's experiences are different and what may not agree with one
person, may be totally agreeable to another.)

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:03 am

athome wrote:
Katherine’s Birth story - so far

You have reached full term and you notice subtle cramps that seem to last for about 15 seconds each. They don’t seem to be coming in any regular pattern but you notice about 4 in an hour period.

You-
I fold washing and tidy the house.
You managed to get everything finished and even forgot about timing the contractions. They are still only gentle and you start to feel like they are getting further apart

You-
I think I'll have something to eat and drink- keep my energy up!

You have some toast and sip on iced water but your feeling the need to walk around . It seems to feel easier to walk around than to sit still but you continue to note the sensations your getting, still gentle but frequent. You decide to check your hospital bags one more time and look for a way to distract yourself.

You -
go for a walk
Going for a walk seems to have helped things progress and you have even had to stop and breathe through the last few contractions so you decide to head home. When you arrive home you notice a light trickle and realise your waters have broken.

You-
Try some squatting and labour exercises

You relax for a while and even mange to practise some labor techniques. You relax and squat deep into your pelvis opening up for babys head to place pressure on your cervix. You're feeling in control but ready for some extra support -

You -
Call my birth support person
You phone your close friend who is going to support you at your birth and let her know what is happening. Its getting harder to speak during the contractions and your noticing the sensations now are more in your lower back. She says she can meet you at home or at the hospital if you prefer because it will take her some time to reach you.

You
agree to meet her at the hospital

You call the hospital and they direct you to come in when you are ready. You decide to wait for your friend out the front of the hospital before going in but your starting to feel a little bit weak on your feet and really want to rest for a while. Your friend arrives and helps you up the ramp to the birthing unit where a midwife greets you. You are offered a vaginal examination to see how far along you are.

Do you accept ?
She would also like to put a monitor on your baby do you accept ?

Yes to vaginal exam, no to monitoring

Your midwife shows you through to the birth suite where you will meet you baby. You note the surroundings and see a birth ball, a bean bag and a birth stool in the corner of the room. Your midwife performs a vaginal examinations and reveals you are around 6cm dilated.

She says its hospital protocol to monitor the baby

You -
Bugger protocol- didn't you read my birth plan midwife!! Wait a while

You decide its important to feel settled and in a safe place before your connected to monitors that may restrict your movement. You have just arrived and want to assess your options. You notice a birth ball, a bean bag, a birth stool and a bath in your suite.

You move to -
the birth ball
You relax on the birth ball and gently bounce just enough to relax your muscles between contractions then as the waves moves through your body you moves into slow and wide figure 8 patterns breathing deeply as you do. You brought some small plastic hair combs to squeeze in your hands to administer acupressure and at the moment this seems to be providing you with enough distraction and relief. You quickly return to your "zone" and feel back in control. Your midwife asks if she can attach the monitor to your tummy without moving you so you can continue as you are.

Do you accept ?
No! This is so much more like real life than I expected- I feel so pressured to do stuff to comply with their 'policy' when I'm in my zone and just want to be left alone!!!
Lukas William, born 14 Feb 05, breastfed 2 years, 6 months

James Thomas , born 23 June 09, breastfed 2 years 7 months

Alice Paige, born 13 May 2012

athome

Post by athome » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Caps Birth story ##$#$#rolling baby

You have reached full term and you notice subtle cramps that seem to last for about 15 seconds each. They don’t seem to be coming in any regular pattern but you notice about 4 in an hour period.
You –

Lie down for sure! Get some rest in case I'll be needing the extra energy soon

You decide to lie down and rest for a while but the contractions become stronger making it hard to relax. You decide to get up and when you do you notice they are now becoming more frequent in fact they are coming every 10 mins and lasting 30 seconds.
You -

Put the bags into the car and have a snack

You have some toast and sip on iced water but your feeling the need to walk around . It seems to feel easier to walk around than to sit still but you continue to note the sensations your getting, still gentle but frequent. You decide to check your hospital bags one more time and look for a way to distract yourself.

You -

I would take a shower.

You hop in the shower and the warm water feels wonderful on your back. You rest on the screen just letting the flow of water massage your lower back. After a while your legs start to feel a bit wobbly and you need to rest. Your starting to feel the sensations in your lower back and your not sure if this is a result of standing in the shower too long or something else.

You -

Go for a walk to try and "release" your back
and if I kept feeling the sensations in my back I'd crawl around for a while

Going for a walk seems to have helped a little but your still feeling the sensations in your lower back but it feels less intense than before. You are concerned things may be slowing down but feel the need to go to the toilet again. Moments after going to the toilet your waters break and your soaking through towels with all the fluid. The fluid is clear.
You

Call your birth partner.
You phone your husband but its going to take him an hour to get home to you

You

I would try he inversions and then fill in the rest of the time before DH arrives home with a bath

You try a basic inversion by lifting your bottom up and lowering your shoulders to the ground. You have to keep sitting up again because it makes you dizzy but after a while you notice the fluid has stopped leaking. Your not sure if it has finally run out. You hear your husband come through he front door and walk up to greet him. Your back is feeling a little better and your fluid has stopped leaking now.

You-
I think I'll go for a walk

Going for a walk seems to have helped things progress and you felt a little uncomfortable as your babys limbs seemed to push hard on your tummy. Theres a lot of slow but strong movement in there and you are now feeling the contractions in you tummy more than your lower back which is a great relief. You feel like something has changed and the contractions seem to be coming more often. You time them and realise they are now coming every 8 mins and lasting 45 seconds.

You -

Decide to sit on a birth ball for a while , you dont want to risk slowing things down by laying down

You relax your weight onto the birth ball. Rocking in figure 8 motions seems to be helping your back to relax and you can feel your baby moving in your pelvis. Its becoming easier to breathe now and your feeling relaxed and almost zoned out by the rhythmic movement. You are able to stay in the zone through the next series of contractions breathing deeply and feeling each wave pass. You time your contractions and realise they are coming every 4 minutes and lasting 45 seconds.

You -
Stay on the birth ball

You decide to remain on the birth ball but ask your husband to call the hospital and let them know whats happening. While he is speaking to them you notice the contractions are coming one after the other and your just not getting a break. Its getting harder to stay composed but your managing to breathe deeply and remind yourself of your birthing affirmations. Your in control but know this baby will soon be here. The hospital suggests you come straight in.

Do you -

Get your husband to drive you in

You manage to get into the car but its impossible to sit so you climb into the back seat where you can hold onto the headrest for support. You want to give into the temptation to push but you dont want to deliver your baby beside the road. You manage to breathe deeply and pant through each contraction. You can feel your baby making progress and urge your husband to get there quickly. You move mentally into a zone and dont notice the traffic and only look up when your husband says were here. He asks a passing person to let someone at reception know you need some help to come in and as you are slowly making your way up to the door a nurse appears with a wheelchair, you manage to sit in it sideways and she wheels you straight into a delivery suite. You drop out of the chair and to the floor to start pushing. Your feeling safe and in control now, only a few pushes later your midwife announces your baby is crowning another strong push and your baby girl is delivered into your midwives hands . She passes her into your arms and you hold her for the first time. Congratulations.

athome

Post by athome » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Katherine’s Birth story - so far

You-
You managed to get everything finished and even forgot about timing the contractions. They are still only gentle and you start to feel like they are getting further apart

You-

You -
go for a walk
Going for a walk seems to have helped things progress and you have even had to stop and breathe through the last few contractions so you decide to head home. When you arrive home you notice a light trickle and realise your waters have broken.

You-

You relax for a while and even mange to practise some labor techniques. You relax and squat deep into your pelvis opening up for babys head to place pressure on your cervix. You're feeling in control but ready for some extra support -

You -
You phone your close friend who is going to support you at your birth and let her know what is happening. Its getting harder to speak during the contractions and your noticing the sensations now are more in your lower back. She says she can meet you at home or at the hospital if you prefer because it will take her some time to reach you.

You

You call the hospital and they direct you to come in when you are ready. You decide to wait for your friend out the front of the hospital before going in but your starting to feel a little bit weak on your feet and really want to rest for a while. Your friend arrives and helps you up the ramp to the birthing unit where a midwife greets you. You are offered a vaginal examination to see how far along you are.

Do you accept ?

Your midwife shows you through to the birth suite where you will meet you baby. You note the surroundings and see a birth ball, a bean bag and a birth stool in the corner of the room. Your midwife performs a vaginal examinations and reveals you are around 6cm dilated.

You -

You decide its important to feel settled and in a safe place before your connected to monitors that may restrict your movement. You have just arrived and want to assess your options. You notice a birth ball, a bean bag, a birth stool and a bath in your suite.

You move to -
the birth ball

You relax on the birth ball and gently bounce just enough to relax your muscles between contractions then as the waves moves through your body you moves into slow and wide figure 8 patterns breathing deeply as you do. You brought some small plastic hair combs to squeeze in your hands to administer acupressure and at the moment this seems to be providing you with enough distraction and relief. You quickly return to your "zone" and feel back in control. Your midwife asks if she can attach the monitor to your tummy without moving you so you can continue as you are.

Do you accept ?

No! This is so much more like real life than I expected- I feel so pressured to do stuff to comply with their 'policy' when I'm in my zone and just want to be left alone!!!

Your midwife tells you she will leave you for a few minutes and shows your partner where the buzzer is to press if you need her. She leaves the room and you decide to make the most of the alone time to focus on your breathing and let your body do what it needs to. You are calm and want to make this space your own.

You ask your partner to -
1) Turn on your relaxation music
2) Turn on your electric oil burner with your essential oils
3) Get you some ice to suck on
4) sit quietly and do nothing

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:21 pm

athome wrote:Katherine’s Birth story - so far

You-

You-

You -
go for a walk

You-

You -

You

Do you accept ?

You -

You move to -
the birth ball

Do you accept ?

Your midwife tells you she will leave you for a few minutes and shows your partner where the buzzer is to press if you need her. She leaves the room and you decide to make the most of the alone time to focus on your breathing and let your body do what it needs to. You are calm and want to make this space your own.

1) Turn on your relaxation music
2) Turn on your electric oil burner with your essential oils
3) Get you some ice to suck on
4) sit quietly and do nothing
1. Turn on my music

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:23 pm

athome wrote:

You –

You decide to lie down and rest for a while but the contractions become stronger making it hard to relax. You decide to get up and when you do you notice they are now becoming more frequent in fact they are coming every 10 mins and lasting 30 seconds.
You -

You -

I would take a shower.

You hop in the shower and the warm water feels wonderful on your back. You rest on the screen just letting the flow of water massage your lower back. After a while your legs start to feel a bit wobbly and you need to rest. Your starting to feel the sensations in your lower back and your not sure if this is a result of standing in the shower too long or something else.

You -

Going for a walk seems to have helped a little but your still feeling the sensations in your lower back but it feels less intense than before. You are concerned things may be slowing down but feel the need to go to the toilet again. Moments after going to the toilet your waters break and your soaking through towels with all the fluid. The fluid is clear.
You

Call your birth partner.

You

I would try he inversions and then fill in the rest of the time before DH arrives home with a bath

You try a basic inversion by lifting your bottom up and lowering your shoulders to the ground. You have to keep sitting up again because it makes you dizzy but after a while you notice the fluid has stopped leaking. Your not sure if it has finally run out. You hear your husband come through he front door and walk up to greet him. Your back is feeling a little better and your fluid has stopped leaking now.

You-

Going for a walk seems to have helped things progress and you felt a little uncomfortable as your babys limbs seemed to push hard on your tummy. Theres a lot of slow but strong movement in there and you are now feeling the contractions in you tummy more than your lower back which is a great relief. You feel like something has changed and the contractions seem to be coming more often. You time them and realise they are now coming every 8 mins and lasting 45 seconds.

You -

Decide to sit on a birth ball for a while , you dont want to risk slowing things down by laying down

You relax your weight onto the birth ball. Rocking in figure 8 motions seems to be helping your back to relax and you can feel your baby moving in your pelvis. Its becoming easier to breathe now and your feeling relaxed and almost zoned out by the rhythmic movement. You are able to stay in the zone through the next series of contractions breathing deeply and feeling each wave pass. You time your contractions and realise they are coming every 4 minutes and lasting 45 seconds.

You -
Stay on the birth ball

You decide to remain on the birth ball but ask your husband to call the hospital and let them know whats happening. While he is speaking to them you notice the contractions are coming one after the other and your just not getting a break. Its getting harder to stay composed but your managing to breathe deeply and remind yourself of your birthing affirmations. Your in control but know this baby will soon be here. The hospital suggests you come straight in.

Do you -

You manage to get into the car but its impossible to sit so you climb into the back seat where you can hold onto the headrest for support. You want to give into the temptation to push but you dont want to deliver your baby beside the road. You manage to breathe deeply and pant through each contraction. You can feel your baby making progress and urge your husband to get there quickly. You move mentally into a zone and dont notice the traffic and only look up when your husband says were here. He asks a passing person to let someone at reception know you need some help to come in and as you are slowly making your way up to the door a nurse appears with a wheelchair, you manage to sit in it sideways and she wheels you straight into a delivery suite. You drop out of the chair and to the floor to start pushing. Your feeling safe and in control now, only a few pushes later your midwife announces your baby is crowning another strong push and your baby girl is delivered into your midwives hands . She passes her into your arms and you hold her for the first time. Congratulations.
Damn that was close to being born in a car!

Capricious
Trainee

Post by Capricious » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:24 pm

athome wrote:

You –

You -

You -

I would take a shower.

You -

You

Call your birth partner.

You

You-

You -

You -
Stay on the birth ball

Do you -

Yeee! That's awesome!! I did great!! :-D Thank you Athome! 27 hours shorter than my last labour!! I'm hoping that this will be exactly like my next one :-D :-D

athome

Post by athome » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:21 am

Katherine’s Birth story ##$#$#rolling baby

You-

You-

You -
go for a walk

You-

You -

You

Do you accept ?

You -

You move to -
the birth ball

Do you accept ?

Turn on your relaxation music

Your partner turns on your relaxation music and you move through the process of relaxing each muscle in your body starting with your scalp and moving down through your mouth shoulders back uterus hips vagina and legs. Your body is now feeling heavy and your mentally drifting away to your safe place. You move to the bean bag and feel almost asleep but just conscious of the waves of each contraction increasing in intensity then tapering away. They are now coming closer together and your picturing yourself floating over each wave one by one.

You start to come out of your zone slightly and feel the need to stretch and change position as you move onto your feet in a squat you feel the urge to push. You pull your body to the side of the bed to use it for support and start to push as your body tells you to. Your birth support person pushes the middys buzzer and a short while later you hear her enter the room. She tells you she just needs to check whats going on and asks you to lean forward. She tells you she can see your babys head starting to crown and that you are doing a wonderful job. She gently guides your babys as she delivers the head then the shoulders and announces that your precious baby has arrived. She carefully moves your baby between your legs so you can turn and sit and hold your little boy for the first time. Congratulations !

athome

Post by athome » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks so much for playing everyone that was lots of fun. Im heading away for Easter but I will drop in if I get a chance. If anyone else wants to deliver a few bubs here while im away feel free to step in and keep the game going :lol: xxxx

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks so much for that athome, I think it may have helped to remind a lot of people (such as me!) that with every birth there are lots of choices to be made which impact on the outcome (and there is as fine line to an unplanned home birth, a hospital birth and a side of the road birth!!)

Have a great holiday :D

Penguin

Re: Who wants to play? Labour Game updates pg10

Post by Penguin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Who remembers this game? It was so much fun.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

JMc

Post by JMc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:18 am

Penguin wrote:Who remembers this game? It was so much fun.
Yes! I remember! I miss Athome! She made me want to become a doula. Maybe I still will one day.
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

keyfive
Counsellor

Post by keyfive » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:08 pm

How could I miss this all those years ago :shock: Looks like a fun thread, you should start it again!!
Mum to DS (31/05/06), DD (27/08/08 ), DS2 (18/06/11) and our newest addition DD2 (2/11/14)

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:41 pm

Just read through my 'birth' in this game again. I'm in tears. I wonder how athome is. I miss her.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.