Has anyone expressed colostrum prenatally?

Ever feel that you would like to be able to ask some questions and have a
chat without feeling that you have to defend your choice to do things the
way you feel comfortable? Discuss your desires, aims and ask your questions
of other Mums here. If you need medical advice, please ask your medical
adviser, we aren't qualified to help you in that department and our Code of
Ethics for ABA means we do not discuss Health Professionals or Hospitals by
name. (Everyone's experiences are different and what may not agree with one
person, may be totally agreeable to another.)

charndra1

Re: Has anyone expressed colostrum prenatally?

Post by charndra1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:36 pm

You could try a warm heat pack, that helped me, and the pain of preggo boobs!
I aimed for a few mls each time, more as time goes on seems to happen, a little a day adds up!

It was great to have my little stash, Mia had a few mils for each heel prick, and the nurses said she was a lucky and spoilt little baby! I think nothing but the best....

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Well, I've been expressing some into syringes using the 'squeeze and vacuum' method. A bit fiddly but nothing too tricky - I squeeze with one hand and suck up with the syringe in the other, then squeeze out the air in the syringe, repeat. No worries so far. Tonight I got 4mL easily (25 weeks) - before now I've been stopping at 2mL. I've pulled the syringe down each time so when it expands when it's frozen it won't squeeze out the top, then putting the syringe back in the previously sterile packet, date and label with volume, then ziplock bag into the freezer.

My milk may be changing - it seemed whiter tonight but I'm not sure.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Penguin wrote:Well, I've been expressing some into syringes using the 'squeeze and vacuum' method. A bit fiddly but nothing too tricky - I squeeze with one hand and suck up with the syringe in the other, then squeeze out the air in the syringe, repeat. No worries so far. Tonight I got 4mL easily (25 weeks) - before now I've been stopping at 2mL. I've pulled the syringe down each time so when it expands when it's frozen it won't squeeze out the top, then putting the syringe back in the previously sterile packet, date and label with volume, then ziplock bag into the freezer.

Are you putting the cap back on too?
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:26 pm

parla wrote:
Penguin wrote:Well, I've been expressing some into syringes using the 'squeeze and vacuum' method. A bit fiddly but nothing too tricky - I squeeze with one hand and suck up with the syringe in the other, then squeeze out the air in the syringe, repeat. No worries so far. Tonight I got 4mL easily (25 weeks) - before now I've been stopping at 2mL. I've pulled the syringe down each time so when it expands when it's frozen it won't squeeze out the top, then putting the syringe back in the previously sterile packet, date and label with volume, then ziplock bag into the freezer.

They don't have a cap. Just a 5mL syringe (like what I would usually give DD oral meds with ) in a plastic/paper packet thing.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013

Parla.
Counsellor

Post by Parla. » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Penguin wrote:
parla wrote:

They don't have a cap. Just a 5mL syringe (like what I would usually give DD oral meds with ) in a plastic/paper packet thing.
Oh, ok. The ones I had had caps. Maybe have them standing tip up when you defrost so it doesn't leak out?
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:45 pm

parla wrote: Oh, ok. The ones I had had caps. Maybe have them standing tip up when you defrost so it doesn't leak out?
They are for someone else but I'm sure she'll see this and take note :)
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013