Has anyone expressed colostrum prenatally?

Ever feel that you would like to be able to ask some questions and have a
chat without feeling that you have to defend your choice to do things the
way you feel comfortable? Discuss your desires, aims and ask your questions
of other Mums here. If you need medical advice, please ask your medical
adviser, we aren't qualified to help you in that department and our Code of
Ethics for ABA means we do not discuss Health Professionals or Hospitals by
name. (Everyone's experiences are different and what may not agree with one
person, may be totally agreeable to another.)

dolce vita

Post by dolce vita » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:17 am

Is it Mooki? i figured i'd need about 15ml per feed? I've been finding it hard, can't seem to get a good flow from rightie, Just a few drops, but leftie picks up after a while and flows well. Always had a better flow from that side with DD. I was going to look for some tips on making sure i had technique right too as i am a bit sore and not sure if it's just i only have a week or so to go or if i am stimulating milk production or doing it wrong!!! I really would like to do it twice a day to get a good supply before he arrives but i'm finding it hard to do at the moment, and it's still taking me a while....

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:52 am

I cant find it now, but Im sure Ive read that a newborns tummy holds about 5ish mls, although that does grow pretty rapidly!

dolce vita

Post by dolce vita » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:50 am

Mooki i looked at an expressing video on youtube this morning, refined my technique a bit and got alot more from rightie this time. With DD and then phonecalls, must do things etc i only got 4 mls this time but i figure about 5 ml lots is probably a good size for top ups, or to last him if we end with a c-section and separated (which of course is not the plan, but i'm glad i have something there for back up). Let me know how you go!

Karen81

Post by Karen81 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Given the current situation I'm in with bubs, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start expressing some colostrum. I've got loads of it squirting out in jets already :)

Would a premmi babe use expressed colostrum? I've no idea.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 pm

yep most definitely Karen!

I know they dont recommend it until the last couple of weeks before your due to give birth, but reading your other posts I can understand why you would start. Maybe you could start with just once a day, and if you feel any sort of tightenings or contractions, stop.

How far along are you now?

Karen81

Post by Karen81 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm

34 weeks Mooki. I'm going to check with my OB and middies tomorrow and make sure they're fine for me to do it.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 pm

also check with the hospy about bringing in pre expressed colostrum. I would think it should be all OK, but Im sure Ive read stuff before where people have said the hospital have been funny about it. But obviously its more ideal that ABM is bubs does come early

Karen81

Post by Karen81 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 pm

I checked with the Middie at the hospital and she said if I decide to do it to wait unil 37 weeks because it can start contractions and given baby's size it need to bake for as long as possible.

Skeeta

Post by Skeeta » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 pm

I thought about starting a new topic but might as well add here...
There might be something within about my queries but the thread is so long! :shock:

Anyway...I have GD + my milk (including colostrum) took ages to come in with DS1. The middies have recommended I try to express some in these final weeks. I managed to eke out a teensy bit of SOMETHING the day before yesterday to my surprise, while using a nipplette thingy (designed for inverted nipples which I also have.) Nothing before then, or since.

The stuff that came out was a thin pale yellowish colour and there was also some blood. Could this actually be colostrum? There was only a few drops to go in the syringe and I can't help thinking it might be like, pus or something.

I had to express milk for around a year for DS1 cos I could not get him to latch and I feel apprehensive about feeding. :cry:

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Anyone doing this at the moment?

I started a bit later than I did last birth, and only have 3 syringes of about 5 mls each, am hoping like last time I don't need any though.

Skeeta, sorry no-one replied to your post- I know it's too late now, but hope everything went well.
Lukas William, born 14 Feb 05, breastfed 2 years, 6 months

James Thomas , born 23 June 09, breastfed 2 years 7 months

Alice Paige, born 13 May 2012

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:12 pm

How cool that yours was the last post, Kathryn!

I am about to start again. I got my syringes from my midwife at my first mw appointment, and now that I have gestational diabetes it is even more critical that I have a nice stash ready in case, and just to get the most good stuff into bubble for that first prick test.

When do they do that, anyone know? I've forgotten if she told me or not on the phone...

Colostrum often starts about 27 weeks I learnt recently, and that seems about right! Jett has had renewed interest in his bedtime feed, as frigging painful as that is, I hope he keeps feeding until the bub arrives - I keep telling him there'll be more milk soon!

He really needs that big burst of full milk to boost his calories and will be great for his brain as well of course. He's only put on 100g in 6 months. I remember how Mavey porked up with the full milk after Jett arrived.

I can get some out, and thought I'd express soon, just a little now and then. One feed being 5mls, and their sugar levels if crazy should still stabilise in 24 hours I'm told, so with the gold from the Source and my backup stash, I'm hoping to be all set... I am terrified of him being given ABM. My MW said they have different ideas if they need to take baby away to the nicu, and my SIL said when she had expressed they tried to dismiss that 'You wouldn't have stored it properly' and wanted to give the baby ABm. She had to be really firm, and that's what my mw said too.

I have it in my birth plan, which now needs updating...

One helpful tip my SIL gave me was to put your identity stickers on each tube of expressed colostrum as well. I got a sheet while at the GD education clinic the other day, but your MW can print a sheet off anytime. It helped them accept her tubes as legit, and that they were in a cooler as well.

Anyhoo, learning about GD now, it is clear that I had it undiagnosed with JettyPop, him being the same length as Mavey, just 1.25 kg heavier, and that he took nearly 2 hours to get on the boob, and I had to stuff him on there in the end - he was sleepy, exactly what happens, sigh. A pain it wasn't picked up, and I did the GTT too!

This time I passed the GCT by .01, but as it was a week early, and Jett was so large (well, 4.350kg), my MW suggested we do the (gross) GTT just in case. I failed it by .01, getting an 8.0, and so, here I am with GD!

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Post by Little Tiggermum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

congratulations Charndra, great to see you back.
I'm joining you on the GD merry go around.
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

adk

Re: Has anyone expressed colostrum prenatally?

Post by adk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:54 pm

I know the answer to my question might be in this thread somewhere, but i was just wondering about how long it takes to be able to express colostrum. I am 37.5 weeks and expressed for the first time tonight, and apart from it hurting ALOt (I have never been good at hand expressing), i only got a few drops, maybe .5ml. I have watched videos on how to do it and i think my technique is ok, but my boobs and nipples feel very sore and it is a bit disappointing to only have such a tiny bit. I would love to hear how long it took others to get used to it and get a bit more productive!!! Will go back and read more of the thread now........ :oops:
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!

adk

Post by adk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:57 pm

And how many minutes do people persevere for? I did about 10 mins per side, that was all my boobs could handle. Is that enough?
Back in the forum with surprise bub number 3!

4fun

Post by 4fun » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:09 am

I expressed a few days on and a day or two off coz I found my breasts got really sore. .5ml is great. I only got 1.6ml in 2-3 weeks. I just expressed until I had no more little drops coming out when I tried, not sure how long.
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014