Has anyone expressed colostrum prenatally?

Ever feel that you would like to be able to ask some questions and have a
chat without feeling that you have to defend your choice to do things the
way you feel comfortable? Discuss your desires, aims and ask your questions
of other Mums here. If you need medical advice, please ask your medical
adviser, we aren't qualified to help you in that department and our Code of
Ethics for ABA means we do not discuss Health Professionals or Hospitals by
name. (Everyone's experiences are different and what may not agree with one
person, may be totally agreeable to another.)

becstarr1

Post by becstarr1 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Getting all excited and inspired, traditionally I am a late producer for when my milk comes in and my babies have all had jaundice.

So I started yesterday expressing colostrum and so far have 5.5 mls. I plan on keeping up with it until bubs arrives and then will have enough for the stash post birth.

After all every little bit helps.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Mon May 31, 2010 7:32 pm

becstarr1 wrote:Getting all excited and inspired, traditionally I am a late producer for when my milk comes in and my babies have all had jaundice.

So I started yesterday expressing colostrum and so far have 5.5 mls. I plan on keeping up with it until bubs arrives and then will have enough for the stash post birth.

After all every little bit helps.
Goodluck!!!!!

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Perizada

Post by Perizada » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:34 am

great work becstarr1 :)

Not so much luck here :(
Been trying to express for almost 2 weeks now and have managed about 5 drops in total. Am drinking my rassberry leaf tea and trying to express in the evening when DS has gone to bed. I'd managed a couple of syringes by now when pregnant with DS. But I also started leaking by about 5 months.

DS is pretty much weaned now, so he's not the problem. He only wants boob when really upset - comfort.

Triagainmummy

Storing small amounts

Post by Triagainmummy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:56 am

I am hand expressing and getting a small amount of colostrum (pregnant). In a few sessions over 24 hours I can get enough to fill a 3ml syringe.

I am doing this in preparation for when my baby is born (my milk doesn't usually come in until at least day 9) so if I have a few syringes frozen this will decrease my chance of having to use formula (like I have had to with previous births).

This morning I mixed refrigerated milk with freshly expressed milk and I have just read on this forum I can't do this - so I will have to throw out my precious 2ml.....

I have plenty of syringes but only a few blue caps for closing them off - so I was hoping to store the syringes full rather than have half full syringes.

Would it be ok if I did the following over a 24 hour period:
1. expressed into a fresh container 1st session, chill it
2. express into a 2nd fresh container, chill it
3. express into a 3rd fresh container, chill it
4. express into a 4th fresh container, chill it (for say minimum 2 hours?)
5. combine the four amounts into one 3ml syringe to freeze

I have been to every chemist in my area to get the blue caps but no one has them. I did manage to get a couple from my hospital yesterday. If you know where I can get more from this would save me a lot of time. Or if you have any other suggestions about how to store these small amounts, please let me know.
Me 33 DH 34
DD 18.07.2005 Breastfed for 36 hours
DD 07.07.2008 Breastfed for 3 weeks
DS 10.06.2010 Fingers crossed

Claire

Post by Claire » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Yes you can mix it if it is chilled to the same temperature - its the change in temp with the warm milk into the cold that is the problem. Not sure if 2hrs would be enough to cool it, I always waited longer than that before mixing any milk. Perhaps leave them overnight and do it the next morning then pop it in the freezer.

You dont really need the caps, the syringes shouldn't leak. One thing you can do before filling a syringe is to draw it back and expel the air again - this way when you fill it it does not draw itself back up again and push the fluid out. Also you could freeze one syringe and then take the cap off and use it for the next syringe till its frozen and so on. I'd keep all my frozen syringes in a zip lock bag so they didn't go wandering in the freezer. When I had to express for my DS who was in NICU I was given heaps of syringes but never any caps and I didn't have any leaks - these were kept in both the fridge and freezer.
My two DC blessings:
DS born early @ 26 wks bf 3 years 1 day
DD bf 3 years 2 months.

Triagainmummy

Post by Triagainmummy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks Claire, I have done as you suggested, just froze my first 1ml syringe!! I was worried about it leaking into the snap lock bag but as you said, it's fine. Thank you so much! :D
Me 33 DH 34

Claire

Post by Claire » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Ah no probs Triagainmummy. I have diabetes so I have a bit of experience with using lots of different syringes. I am wanting to express prenatally too, but due to my history of pre term labour and delivery I have to wait till 36 weeks before I can start despite the fact that I sometimes leak colostrum. I'm likely to need some after baby is born as it is high risk for low blood sugar due to my diabetes - and I'm like you, hoping to avoid formula if possible. (hope I get a good supply this time too)

Great news you have your first syringe full. I hope you can build up enough for what you need after your bubs arrives! Good luck with it - would love to know how you go. And hopefully the prenatal expressing helps your milk to come in earlier this time. :)
My two DC blessings:
DS born early @ 26 wks bf 3 years 1 day
DD bf 3 years 2 months.

Triagainmummy

Post by Triagainmummy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:13 am

That sounds tough Claire, I really wish you all the best. I will keep popping in here to update how I'm going and I hope the next 6 weeks isn't too draining on you.

I am really surprised at how well the hand expressing is going - I am slowly teaching myself how to do it and it is getting easier and I am quietly excited about seeing more colostrum drip, drip into the container.

If you are already leaking colostrum this is a good sign - I have to express it out. Because I've had some drama's in the past with my DD's, I get a bit tense when I am doing it so I have started to put a wheat heat pack around the back of my neck to help me relax (and feel warm) and this is working well. I also slip the wheatpack down onto my breasts to warm and relax them. Today I also made myself a hot chocolate before I went in the nursery to express (my 2 year old was asleep and 5 year old watching TV) and it was just a really nice thing to do for the pregnancy / baby.

Breastfeeding has always made me tense and upset but I am finding that expressing colostrum at the end of the pregnancy is a nice gentle way to prepare for the baby's arrival. I just hope our efforts pay off!
Me 33 DH 34

Jane1973

Post by Jane1973 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:23 am

I've been expressing colostrum with my electric pump for the past couple of weeks in the hopea of setting of labour (I'm now 40+4).

I have quite a few syringes in the freezer, and have started adding it to my toddlers goats milk. Now up to over 3ml each session, so the new baby should get plenty if needed.

The sad thing is that I have a lot of colostrum in the freezer, and there is no milk bank in SA

becstarr1

Post by becstarr1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:53 pm

WELL today I expressed 2.5ml and was quite surprised at how much it ended up being.

I am an old hand at expressing. I exclusivcely pumped for DS3 for 6 months so my boobs are kinda used to the rough hand treatment and I am well versed in the technique.

I am hoping that starting early will help with my bay's jaundice and also I know that I am a late producer and hoping not to go home with nipples that are too sore. No more 40 minute feeds each side for me. And also I really don't want to be milked this time around. I kinda sucks and I really don't like other people touching my breasts.

I am only going to use hand pumping for now and maybe as soon as I hit 37/38 weeks try my double pump and see how much I get then.. So far my stash is up to 8ml and my chemist only had 5ml syringes so will be using the container thing for storage and then suck it up into the syringe.

I don't have any worries about it sparking off early labour as I barely get any Brackston hicks when I do it, the small ammount of hormone released is minute compared to orgasm anyway. They (medical profession) don't really know what sparks off labour in women anyway so as far as I am concerned, you won't drop until you are ready and a little nipple stim isn't going to do it.

Keep up the great work ladies.

foggylog

Post by foggylog » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:51 pm

I just want to say make sure it's all labeled properly including your hospital number if it is on any labeling. i have seen incorrect labeling, not always mothers fault and it leads to bub not getting the EBM :(
I was storked by the lovely ESTHER :)
E = DD may 09 BF til 15.5mths
O = DS Dec 10, BFing

becstarr1

Post by becstarr1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:53 pm

another 2.2ml yesterday, and going good. I am feeling the tinglies in my breasts and I am quite pleased with that. I started leaking colostrum early on and I am pleased that they are still in working order.
Though I am very hesitant to discuss this with anybody else, the whole expressing colostrum thing. Does anyone else feel the same. I just don't want to hear any negative opinions right now.

Rebecca

becstarr1

Post by becstarr1 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:23 am

Now I have 10 syringes filled between 3 ml syringes and 5ml syringes, so we are going quite well. I am usually getting between 3-4ml a session now.

Yeah me. No artificial milk in my bubs future and no milking by teh midwofe for me either.

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:37 am

becstarr1 wrote:Now I have 10 syringes filled between 3 ml syringes and 5ml syringes, so we are going quite well. I am usually getting between 3-4ml a session now.

Yeah me. No artificial milk in my bubs future and no milking by teh midwofe for me either.
Well done, this is amazing.

How far along are you now?

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

JH

Post by JH » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

well girls i can't recommend doing this strongly enough. We used every drop we had prepared, under the beady eye of the paediatrician, after emergency c section and jaundice. We were put under massive pressure to use formula (the paed insisting it did no harm to use short term, me arguing back otherwise in floods of tears (damn hormones!) and having expressed milk available gave us time and space.

Go for it girls!