DD2's birth story

Ever feel that you would like to be able to ask some questions and have a
chat without feeling that you have to defend your choice to do things the
way you feel comfortable? Discuss your desires, aims and ask your questions
of other Mums here. If you need medical advice, please ask your medical
adviser, we aren't qualified to help you in that department and our Code of
Ethics for ABA means we do not discuss Health Professionals or Hospitals by
name. (Everyone's experiences are different and what may not agree with one
person, may be totally agreeable to another.)

ClOuD_NiNe

DD2's birth story

Post by ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:27 pm

I thought I would write DD2's birth story while the details were fresh in my mind. I'm pleased to say things couldn't have gone better for my planned home birth!

I woke about 5am on Wednesday 20th July to an uncomfortable pain in my tummy and realised I'd already had a couple of these in my sleep but was too zonked to wake up, I thought I'd dreamed them. I got up and went to the toilet (for the billionth time that night), and (sorry TMI) had a bowel movement - unusual for me for that time of the morning and that's when I realised that I was probably in early labour as that was a sure sign for my other two labours. I went back to bed and had another contraction a short time later. It was uncomfortable enough that I didn't want to be in bed anymore so I got up and started walking around.

DH got up about half an hour later and started getting ready for work. I told him I was having mild period pain type contractions and wasn't sure he should go to work. About half an hour later when he was due to head out the door I said he should definitely stay home. Contractions were irregular but I was sure this was it. He asked if he should set up the birthing pool, to which I replied YES! I was a bit nervous that we hadn't gotten a chance to give it a test run yet.

My midwife was actually out of town for a couple of days and was due back about lunchtime, but she had another midwife covering her. I messaged her to let her know things were happening and that I'd keep her posted on my progress. DS and DD woke and DH made them breakfast. I continued walking around the house and stopping to breathe through contractions which were still irregular and manageable. I ate a small bowl of porridge to give me energy but didn't feel at all hungry.

DH got the pool set up and caliphont connected and was filling the pool with warm water. I started timing contractions using an app on my phone from about 7am. I took a shower which slowed things down temporarily. At about 7:30 the contractions started coming about every 5 mins. I had texted a friend earlier and let her know that things were happening, as she might be needed to pick the kids up. I called my midwife about 8:15 and let her know things were progressing. She asked if I wanted her to come over and I said yes.

My friend arrived at 8:30 to take the kids, and it was around this time that things ramped up a notch. Contractions were now coming every 2-3 mins and I was really having to breathe to get through them. Midwife also arrived about that time. She did a quick check of baby's position and heartbeat... Left anterior and heartbeat was great, we were ready to go. I kept walking in between contractions, it just felt like the right thing to do. The midwife said that given this was my third birth, she was happy to just let me do what I needed to do, and said to trust my body.

Things were starting to get pretty intense and at about 9am my midwife asked if I wanted to get in the pool. Hell yes! Sweet relief! The water was amazing, I felt lighter and instinctively went into a wide kneeling position with the water taking the weight off my legs. With each contraction I leaned over the edge of the pool and clung to DH's hands, breathed and groaned. Then about 9:30 (according to the birthing notes) a couple of contractions hit which made me feel slightly nauseous, and with the second one I felt a bit pushy. My midwife must have noticed because she asked if I needed to push. I said yes and she said to just listen to my body and do what I needed to do.

The next contraction hit and with it the unbelievable urge to push, there is nothing quite like it. My body took over, it knew exactly what to do. I had a couple of strong pushing contractions and could feel baby's head moving down with each one. Then baby was crowning... Holy crap, I'd forgotten how intense that was! I remember my midwife saying to slow down, breathe, let everything stretch and open up... And all I could think was "Bugger that, I've got to get this baby out now!!" The next contraction came and my waters broke. I reached down and felt the head, and waited. Another contraction and I pushed with everything I had to get baby's head out. One more push and baby came sliding out into the water where I caught her and brought her into my arms for a cuddle. A quick check confirmed it was a baby girl!

I looked at DH, we grinned at eachother, I had done it! I sat back in the water and we waited for baby to take those all important first breaths and turn from purple to pink. It took a few minutes but she got there. The other midwife arrived, and shortly afterwards I birthed the placenta.

Baby and I moved to a mattress on the floor next to the pool where she had her first feed. The midwives checked me for tearing (a clean second degree tear that we decided would be OK to heal on its own). DH cut the cord and the midwives checked the placenta over. DH then got me something to eat while DD2 had another feed, and then the midwives checked her over too. She was perfect, weighing in at exactly 3.5kg and 50cm.

Shortly after I got up and had a shower while DH took DD2 for some skin to skin time. And then we hopped into bed for a lovely rest. And that feeling of "I can't believe we just had a baby!"

If you got this far, thanks for reading! It was an awesome experience, I couldn't have hoped for a better birth. I'll never get over the power of the female body, it is truly amazing.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker

Feebes

Re: DD2's birth story

Post by Feebes » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:55 pm

:smt007

How amazing!!

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Post by AussieBritLu » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:38 am

Glad all went well for you A!
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:27 am

That sounds lovely cloud nine - thanks for sharing
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Esther

Post by Esther » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Thanks for sharing x
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Beautiful <3
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

~WildChild~

Post by ~WildChild~ » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Beautiful xx
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:23 pm

a stunning birth story
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:19 pm

I have happy tears Thank you for sharing your beautiful story Cloud9 xx
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:40 pm

What a beautiful story, C9. Thanks for sharing!
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)