New Year - New Level of Fitness

If it is not related to breastfeeding or parenting, discuss it here!
Feebes

Post by Feebes » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm

:smt039

Right so I've never been on a diet in my life, I'm the heaviest I've ever been and according to the GP's, etc to help with my depression its time to get some excercising happening.

I am so lost though, I have no idea where to start. I don't think that I'm overweight but certainly could lose around 5 kgs. I actually weigh 25kgs more than when I first got UTD with DD! :shock: :oops: But I was REALLY super thin with a awesome metabolism.

At this stage, I just want to excerise to feel better in myself and to get fitter.

So the last 3 weeks, I've been walking around our main tourist location, which is 3.6kms. I do it at least twice a week. I can't seem to get it done in under 50mins. I do go the hard way though! :lol:

Yesterday I did a little bit of a jog/run and it felt really good. Didn't run for long though and felt totally uncoordinated! :shock: :lol: :roll: :oops:

How does one run so they feel like they aren't going to fall over? How do you slowly build up your fitness so you can run faster and longer?

:smt100

I went tonight with Mum and DD2 in the pram but it slowed me down a fair bit! :lol:

It feels so great when I first see the car in the distance. Its like a huge WOW I did it feeling. If nothing else gets done or I feel like I've been going around getting nothing done, I know that I've worked 3.6kms!

I need something to listen to on the smartphone but I am not sure what. Using the radio chews up too much of my data useage.

When you're walking, what does it actually do? I have no tummy mucles (4 kids which includes a cs) and I can really feel it putting strain on my back if I have to bend over eg when the kids are in the bath. If you walked with weight thingys on your hands, does that do much at all?

Totally lost!!!

Well done to everyone else with their efforts!

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Nice work, Feebes! Sounds like you're doing great. I'm not much of a jogger/runner (a defect in my knee cartilage means high-impact exercise is pretty well off the cards), so I'm no help with technique, but do I still use an app on my phone that just tracks my walking speed, distance, route taken, estimate of calories burnt, etc. There's also an app which is essentially preparation for running longer distances - not sure if I can mention it here, so I'll PM you with both the names. They don't seem to chew up too much in the way of data AFAIK. :)
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

michansam

Post by michansam » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

:shock: This is the third time I've tried to type this... I'm thinking my computer is trying to tell me something. Nothing to do with my hand resting on the mousepad and opening up thousands of windows... then me closing too many in my impatience to get back to what I was doing :roll:

I agree with Gwen's mum, I think you've made a fabulous start, well done!

I can tell you that walking is a low impact cardio exercise (Does that mean anything to you?)
Good for heart health, and for the wonderful exercise endorphins, but won't shift anything quickly. Running uses more energy over the same time (because you are covering more ground in that time)
The only time I've ever tried to run was doing an interval program. I'd walk past two lamp posts then run to the next one, walk past 2 run to the next one on one of my normal walking routes. Was supposed to gradually increase the interval I was running compared to the walking. I did it best when I was exercising with my sister. Great encouragement.

After DS was born, I joined a free course for pram exercise in the park. One of the tips I picked up there was to consciously hold core muscles tight while walking... stand with shoulders back and pull in tummy muscles. She also advocated tightening and loosening those other muscles that get strained in child birth while walking. (I cannot for the life of me remember what they are called because of my sleep-deprived-pregnancy-brain.)

Having said all that. I get excited when I get any walking in on a day. Yesterday I put DS2 in the pram and walked to school to get DS. 15 mins to get there, no worries about parking and only 30 min to get home. I was impressed. DS coped much better than I thought (downhill walk). Today feels a lot muggier again though so not sure if I'll be able to repeat the effort!
:) Michele
DS April 08
DS2 April 10
ImageImage

michansam

Post by michansam » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

and then it double posts :roll: I'm not doing so well today
DS April 08
DS2 April 10
ImageImage

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Mon May 20, 2013 1:26 pm

So who's still at it? I ran my first 10km event on Mother's Day - surprised myself, was only planning to run the first 5km, and then do 500m intervals of running and walking, but I ran it all, except for two hills at the 6km and 8km marks, and the drinks stations (being an unco :lol: )

I've just done my second 5km run since then, and I'm amazed at how I'm just starting to hit my straps around the 4km mark now. I actually ran half a km further than I'd planned today, because DH wasn't home from picking up the kids when I got back, so I ran around the block once more for good measure.

5km, from being the hardest thing I could imagine, has now become a "quick" run (although my time is still far from quick), and my goal now is to do 1 session a week of 10km - intervals as needed after about 7km, gradually building up to running the full distance, and then do Fahrtlek (I know - me, using a technical running term - who'da thunk it?! :shock: :lol: ) intervals (intervals of running comfortably and running flat out) to increase my time and fitness.

And DH and I have even started talking (still joking for now, but we might get serious) about doing next year's Gold Coast Half Marathon together (but only the GC, because it's the flattest in Aus).

Not lost any weight lately (in fact, I'm a bit heavier than my ticker admits atm), but my fitness is definitely improving after a slump, and I find I feel much more inclined to eat well and exercise more, the more I exercise.

On target for my time and distance goals for the year, too - need to pass 1000km in the next 5 weeks, and I'm putting in time on the exercise bike to make it happen.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

michansam

Post by michansam » Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 am

:? No I've given up. I didn't put on weight last visit to ob/gyn. Not much exercise since... 2 weeks holidays, then after a wet week, got a cold so mooching round the house.
eating too many sugary foods too
DS April 08
DS2 April 10
ImageImage

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Wed May 22, 2013 10:11 am

I bought myself a pedometer that updates to the computer a month ago. The first day I did 5000 steps, so my goal was 7000, now my goal is 15000 (about 10k) and I've done a few days of 20000. I walk the kids to school and back, and when I drop them off I walk home the long way. I also walk to our local tourist attraction most days, which is a 5k round trip. I tried running for a while, but I hate it, so I'm walking which I love. I've lost 1.5kg in the last 6 weeks, which I'm happy with, although I have a fair way to go :)

So I'm in, but no running for me.

JMc

Post by JMc » Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 am

I'm still here! I've just joined the gym! Means I can swim, do weights and go to classes. There's child care, get 2 hours included in my membership each day. Plus the kids get a gym class and a cheaper swim lesson (actually ds's is included atm). So it's family fitness time!

I'm still running a bit - just twice a week when I take dd to preschool. But loving swimming. Haven't loved the gym yet (only been twice) but hopefully I'll start enjoying it soon. My aim is the strengthen my core, back and thighs so I'm in the best condition I can be when (if?) I have another child. And being strong has got to be good even if I don't have another baby! So happy to have found this gym near by and in our price range!
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

JennyD
Counsellor

Post by JennyD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:08 am

Well an update here. I have lost 3k since the 11th of April (which is when I bought my snazzy scales that update to the computer) Walking seems to be the way to go for me. It seems to have upped my metabolism. And I'm eating less and feeling heaps better. My ring (that I wear on my wedding finger because my wedding ring no longer fits) fell off the other day. So I'm ringless at the moment, one too big the other toooooo small :)