Feeding in Emergencies

If it is not related to breastfeeding or parenting, discuss it here!
Karleen

Feeding in Emergencies

Post by Karleen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm glad that everyone here is OK. It has been a dreadful time for those affected (and those who care about them).
I've been thinking very much of the mothers and babies affected by these emergencies (not just Qld but also WA, Tas and Vic- have we ever had so much of the country affected at the one time?). I've especially been thinking about the mums who are formula feeding who may have suddenly lost easy access to water and power and would therefore be in a very difficult situation. Anyway, I've realised that we (as a country) are actually not that well prepared to support mothers and babies in emergency situations- we don't have appropriate processes or resources in place. Infant feeding in emergencies is an area that I work in professionally- prior to now, the work has been in overseas emergencies. I'd like to attempt to improve the situation a bit here now though and I wondered if you all could help me. I've put a message on my professional facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Karleen-G ... &topic=372 or just search for Karleen Gribble PhD) Basically, I want to hear from mums of babies who've been in the midst of one of these emergencies (whether they are breastfeeding or formula feeding or both) and hear about what it has been like for them and how they have coped. I'd really appreciate it if some of you could you all pass the link to my facebook message or the whole message onto people you know, email lists, online forums, twitter etc so that mums who might have stories to tell can know that I'd love to hear from them. Getting a better idea of what living through an emergency like this has been for mothers of babies, what has helped or not helped, how they have coped will help me (and those I will work with) to improve future emergency responses.

This information will be used to help some of us who are working on an ABA feeding in emergencies package. In the future some of the information may be published e.g. in Essence but it is not the main aim of collecting your stories.
Thanks everyone!

SharonK

Post by SharonK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 pm

What a great idea! I've never been in an emergency situation with my son (touch wood), but I will pass on your message :)

Feebes

Post by Feebes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:55 pm

SharonK wrote:What a great idea! I've never been in an emergency situation with my son (touch wood), but I will pass on your message :)
ITA

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010

Feather

Post by Feather » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:01 pm

Great idea.

This is something that really really bothers me about my personal situation. What would I do in an emergency? I bf but I can't produce enough to sustain. If I couldn't take my DBM with me I don't know what I would do.

I'll go have a look at your page now :-)
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Capricious
Trainee

Post by Capricious » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi Karleen, I posted on your page, hope you could find it :)

foggylog

Post by foggylog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:20 am

shared your page. i wasn't affected but sis did have to move house mid flood, so asking her if she will tell her story and onshare your page as she knows other mums affected
I was storked by the lovely ESTHER :)
E = DD may 09 BF til 15.5mths
O = DS Dec 10, BFing

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:25 pm

DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious