One more driving lesson to go!

If it is not related to breastfeeding or parenting, discuss it here!

Postby mum2elouise » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:41 am

How did you go Lonie?? I've been eager to find out.

Wish me luck because I have my test this Friday so only 3 more sleeps to go for me! 8-[ I got in on a cancellation and my appointment is at 8am, so I will be driving amongst all the parents dropping their kids to school, all the workers on their way to their jobs, etc. It's started raining last night and is still going today so I am hoping that at least that clears up a bit before Friday morning. My learners expires on the 28th of this month so if I fail this test (fingers crossed that I pass) I have only 13 days to go for it again and to pass before I have to renew. The problem is that if I renew I then have to go under the new laws and work up my 100 hours in a drivers logbook before I can apply for my P's again :? Fingers crossed I get it!! [-o<
mum2elouise

Postby Lonie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Oh Rachael you'll have your Ps before me!! How exciting!

My test is the weekend after next. Thank goodness I have a little more time to practise as I have only done woeful parks since I found it was happening so soon. Must be nervous. I can't wait to have it over with.

Good luck! i'll be thinking of you. You can do it! :)

BTW I did my main competency review (kind of like the test before the test :?) in the worst rain I've ever driven in. If it hadn't been a lesson I would have pulled over and stopped! I found it sort of steadied my nerves because I was concentrating so hard on driving in the rain I forgot about everything else I was worried about!
Lonie

Postby MrsD » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Lonie wrote:My test is the weekend after next. Thank goodness I have a little more time to practise as I have only done woeful parks since I found it was happening so soon. Must be nervous. I can't wait to have it over with.

I did a shocking reverse park when I sat my test but as it was the only thing I stuffed up I still passed.

Good luck!!!
DD1 - Nov 06 (Breastfed for 2.5 years)
DD2 - Oct 09
MrsD

Postby Barbie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:48 pm

Goodluck Loni and Rachel

I learnt to paralel park in the few minutes before my test. The instructor said oh and i should teach you this incase you get asked to do it :shock:
I did get asked and Im glad that he had shown me!
Barbie

Postby noahsmum » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:25 pm

Yay, way to go, sending parking like a pro vibes your way.
Jo
Jo -Noahs Mum
DS -29/7/05
noahsmum

Postby mum2elouise » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Good luck next weekend Lonie!!! I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours! :-D

Thanks for the well wishes ladies :D Unfortunately, I failed!! :smt022 To make it even worse, this is the second time I've failed my driving test... I got my learners first go, though! :lol:

Last time my test was cut short as I was speeding :oops: Well, I just didn't slow down enough in a roadworks area so that was the end of that test. I didn't even get to parking or 3 point turns, etc.

This time I actually completed the whole test but just had a few little things that failed me. Like I should have braked earlier a few times, went over the stop line slightly at an intersection, pushing in the button on the gear stick when I was putting it back up a gear (auto car - shouldn't do that because it may slip into neutral or reverse, etc.) and little things like that. You are allowed to get 8 non criticals but I got 11 :oops: They weren't 11 different things - a few things I repeated a couple of times each.

Oh well, at least it was only little things like that and not some major thing that failed me. I'm going for my test again as soon as I can get in because I want it well before this bubs born!!
mum2elouise

Postby mum2H&R » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Oh bugger Rachel, what a shame. Well at least you'll know for next time, just a shame it costs so much money.

Goodluck with your test Leonie.

My GF got her learners when she was 19 she's now 39, 5 kids later & still dosen't have her licence. I think it's probably for the best, she's got the worst sense of direction of anyone I've ever met - even in the area's she knows. LOL
DS1 - April 06
DS2 - August 08
DD - October 10

What other people think of me is none of my business.
mum2H&R

Postby NightOwl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:07 pm

mum2elouise wrote:Last time my test was cut short as I was speeding :oops: Well, I just didn't slow down enough in a roadworks area so that was the end of that test. I didn't even get to parking or 3 point turns, etc.

Oh Rachael what a shame! DP tells me this is why he failed his test all those years ago too - some tiny roadworks sign hidden behind a bush that he didn't see unitl it was too late. By then it was instant fail :(

Do you have to sit for your L's again or are they still current to do another test?
*DD 04/06 - mimi for 3 years, 7 months
*DS1 02/08 - mimi for 21 months
*DS2 05/10 - mimi with a nipple shield for 18 months
*DS3 05/12- mimi for a year
NightOwl

Postby Lonie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Sorry to hear that Rachael. How disappointing for you :( You can do it - you'll get there. It's a pain when it's the little things that get you.

I'm more nervous now! Have one weekend to practise those turns and parks but last time I drove I found myself sitting at an intersection waiting thinking 'who has right of way?'.. it was very obviously me.
Lonie

Postby mum2elouise » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks for the sympathy ladies :) I'm a bit bummed out about it but hopefully I can get in on another cancellation before my licence expires the week after next so I don't have to bother doing all the paperwork involved in the 100 hours log book.

Tiff, my L's are still current until the 28th Feb and if I can't get in to have another test before then (and pass!) I will just renew it again for another 12 months. Hopefully if that happens I can sort out all the log book requirements before bub comes along.

Good luck again Lonie :-D Don't let my experience make you anxious - you will do great :-D
mum2elouise

Postby Mel&Tom » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:54 am

Bad luck Rachael, thats all it is sometimes. I think they forget how nervous we can be also, and not allow for it. Dont let it put you off doing it again. Next time for sure!
Good luck too Leonie.
Mel XO

Mel&Tom

Postby Queen Be » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:36 pm

Bugger Rachael, fingers crossed you get to sit it again before the 28th.

I had an almost 2 hour lesson this morning, getting more confidant every time, 12 down 38 to go, yay!
Back for a very important mission
Queen Be

Postby miss_fortunate22 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:28 pm

Good luck next time rachael, and best of luck Leonie!

I started driving at 12 (in NZ, not legal but dad used to let me drive on deserted roads all the time) and when I was 14 and living in sydney Dad used to fly interstate for work all the time and I would just take his car to get groceries, drive to school if I was late :smt018 Dad didn't know, it was only after I was licenced I realised the trouble I would have caused if I had been caught :oops:

Anyway, when I went for the test at 15 (I got a NZ license cause you could get it earlier and used it here), I failed the first driving test! I don't think I was ever a bad driver, just full of nerves.

Don't stress, once you have started driving on your own (or with LO's) you'll gain heaps of confidence and before you know it you'll wonder what you were ever worried about. I think you do most of your learning once you are driving on your own with out someone telling you 'just wait, that gap isn't quite big enough' or 'change lanes, just be careful of that car in your blind spot' or even without the security of knowing someone else is keeping an eye on the road too.

Best of luck to both of you :-D
ImageImage
miss_fortunate22

Postby quriouskey » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Best of luck Lonie and Rachel!

I failed the driving test four times when I was 18, then got a motorbike at 24, stayed on my Ls till they wouldn't extend again, then passed the test first time (I'd been riding for years by then, of course).

I met DH when I was 38 and he persuaded me to try learning to drive again. I think I got a good instructor, and passed first go. But we didn't have a car and it wasn't until our honeymoon when we borrowed DH's parents' 4WD and drove from Perth to the Pilbara and back that I got any practice. But that was great, no traffic to get in the way so just lots of familiarisation.

I agree with the PP who suggested driving short drives by yourself and longer ones with someone you feel comfortable driving with.
quriouskey

Postby amandanusara » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:06 pm

Good luck Rachael and Lonie! I'm only in the next suburb Lonie so you will have to come here on your inaugural drive :-D
Image Image
amandanusara

PreviousNext

Return to Everything else!